Ca anyone Give me Info On the Iona Aircrash in the 70's Taking Our Business elite Dow

SlickWilly

I heard that the Polish airline disaster this year which took out several prominent Polish officials and dignatories was mirrored by one in the early 70s where an Iona airlines aircraft came a cropper comming back here from Brussels containing some of our most prominent business people who were speaking to EEC officials re business opportunities for Ireland on EEC entry!
In fact it was framed as having caused the loss of a highly capable generation of business leaders, from the little, I have heard of it! Does anyone have any more info on this tradgedy!
I'd say Mr. Haughey may well have been as affected by it as he was by the arms trial, at least his pockets would have been!

SlickWilly

Can and down

Sorry, I pressed the submit button without previewing, hence the mistakes in the headline!

D

Deleted member 17573

I heard that the Polish airline disaster this year which took out several prominent Polish officials and dignatories was mirrored by one in the early 70s where an Iona airlines aircraft came a cropper comming back here from Brussels containing some of our most prominent business people who were speaking to EEC officials re business opportunities for Ireland on EEC entry!
In fact it was framed as having caused the loss of a highly capable generation of business leaders, from the little, I have heard of it! Does anyone have any more info on this tradgedy!
I'd say Mr. Haughey may well have been as affected by it as he was by the arms trial, at least his pockets would have been!
Are you sure you´re not thinking of an Aer Lingus Cork-London flight sometime in the 60´s?

SlickWilly

I heard the name Iona mentioned, were prominent business people killed during the one you mentioned?

thebig C

Hey SillyWick,

I think you have the facts slightly skewed.

A number of very prominent Irish Civil Servents and Businessmen were killed abord a BEA (British European Airways) flight from London to Brussels which crashed in Staines in 72 or 73. I believe thet were taking part in our ebtry negotiations and were flying via London, possibly having liased with their British counterparts.

Iona were a small air charter company operating light aircraft...I am not aware of them being involved in a major crash.

D

Deleted member 17573

I heard the name Iona mentioned, were prominent business people killed during the one you mentioned?
Ya - I only have a vague recollection of it, but it was generally felt at the time that we had lost some of our best business people. The only Iona one I can remember was a trip to collect some Beaujolais Nouveau wine from France - had a few well-known people on board, including a prominent journalist whose name escapes me. I just thought from your OP that you might have had the two mixed up. Should be plenty on google about both crashes.

zippo222

Ya - I only have a vague recollection of it, but it was generally felt at the time that we had lost some of our best business people. The only Iona one I can remember was a trip to collect some Beaujolais Nouveau wine from France - had a few well-known people on board, including a prominent journalist whose name escapes me. I just thought from your OP that you might have had the two mixed up. Should be plenty on google about both crashes.
Kevin Marron, head buck cat at the Sunday World.

Catalpa

My Dad's boss was on it - Philip Smyth IIRC

The plane took off from Heathrow OK

But the pilot had just had a huge row with other staff over an industrial dispute and was very very stressed.

The co pilot was a rookie and the theory is that the pilot had a massive Heart Attack as the plane tried to gain height - a critical 'hands on' procedure back then.

The co pilot was overwhelmed and the plane plummeted to earth.

It came down in open ground in Staines (Middlesex?)

All on board died - one little girl og 8 or 9 was found unconscious but breathing - she was rushed to hospital but died very soon after being found.

The police said crowds of onlookers hampered rescue operations but under the circumstances it was basically going to be a recovery operation from the word go...

The Irish businessmen were flying to Brussels on a fact finding mission to see how out forthcoming membership of the EEC would impact on our exports and imports.

That is all off the top of my head as best I remember it.

RIP to all who died that day.

PS

Reading on it now I think my Dad's boss was called Con Smith.

As you can imagine my Dad was in deep shock over what happened.

This was in 1972.

soubresauts

The OP is very confused. The 1972 BEA Trident crash in Staines, near Heathrow, killed some prominent Irish businessmen. The 1968 Aer Lingus Viscount crash, near Tuskar Rock, may have killed a few Irish businessmen. The latter, unlike the former, is still controversial -- foul play or cover-up is suspected (British missile, military aircraft...?).

The 1984 "Beaujolais" plane crash in England killed four prominent Irish journalists.

dalywise

D

Deleted member 17573

Watch out for your old mind, Sailor.
You would not want even more readers noting your comments as that of a typical Doddery buffoon.
Don´t worry - my memory loss doesn´t extend to forgetting all the women and children you lot murdered in your glorious fight for Irish freedom. Buncha cowarly b@$tards:mad:

zippo222

And John Feeney of the Indo or Herald

I used buy the Irish Times back then, Kevin Myers used write the Irishman's Diary column. I remember him thanking the people that wrote to him saying, when they heard the name Kevin Marron on the news reports they thought it was him at first, and were glad it wasn't him, and that he was safe. Strange the little snippets that lodge in ones memory.

D

Deleted member 17573

I used buy the Irish Times back then, Kevin Myers used write the Irishman's Diary column. I remember him thanking the people that wrote to him saying, when they heard the name Kevin Marron on the news reports they thought it was him at first, and were glad it wasn't him, and that he was safe. Strange the little snippets that lodge in ones memory.
He was still relatively sane in those days - quite a good column actually:)

Cincinnatus

Website
www.supernatural.ie
The 1984 "Beaujolais" plane crash in England killed four prominent Irish journalists.
Niall Hanley and John Feeney, editor and columnist, respectively, of the Evening Herald, Kevin Marron, columnist with the Sunday World and Tony Heneghan, columnist with the Irish Independent. Plus 5 others.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies