Ca anyone Give me Info On the Iona Aircrash in the 70's Taking Our Business elite Dow

oggy

Remember the Staines crash well. Was on the 8 pm flight returning to London. After arriving in London I moved fast to get out of a shocked Heathrow. No Tube then from Heathrow and on the way into the city the traffic heading in the opposite direction was huge, the ghouls were heading out to see the crash. Think the plane was the 7 pm from Dublin that landed at Heathrow and then continued to Brussels. A group of businessmen including a guy Smith who was owner of the then Smith Motor Group who I think had the franchise for Renault.
Problem with flying started then, further trips to Dublin ended with getting boat back instead of return flight. next time on a plane was business trip to Paris in 1979. Ten or twelve years later decided just before 9 pm to take a plane to Manchester next day on business trip. news came on at 9 and the first item was a plane landing on a motorway at Leicester ! Was a long boat and train trip to Manchester
Was 21 years after Paris trip I took family to Canada and US, nightmare but did it to keep promise. Lat 7 years have done one trip a year and no more

Staines was too close for comfort. Have idea in head of the alleged cause of the crash but too vague on facts to speculate

SlickWilly

Documentary On RTE Tomm On Staines Crash!

There's a documentary on the Staines aircrash which was the one I was thinking off tommorrow in the 'Disaters' series on RTE1 at around 19.00 or perhaps a little later!

soubresauts

Staines was too close for comfort. Have idea in head of the alleged cause of the crash but too vague on facts to speculate
The cause of the crash is well documented. We can't be 100% certain about exactly what went on in the cockpit, but there's very little doubt about what happened. Insinuate and speculate all you like, but you're probably going to look silly (and not for the first time).

lying eyes

RTE 1 had a show on last evening Tuesday 14 at 7. It dealt with this subject- you might get it on RTE Player. Best of luck.

Catalpa

Well having watched it now it certainly brings back a few memories.

Its technically possible I was on that very plane myself at some stage

- as I remember flying on a BEA Trident in 1970 into Heathrow coming back from Nice.

Philip081

Niall Hanley and John Feeney, editor and columnist, respectively, of the Evening Herald, Kevin Marron, columnist with the Sunday World and Tony Heneghan, columnist with the Irish Independent. Plus 5 others.

Its "Tony Hennigan". He wrote for the James Mulcahy column/Independant, and was a very well respected man.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom