• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

CAB gets large judgement against IRA man who claimed to have no idea he had €94k in his car

Sync

CAB gets

THE Criminal Assets Bureau (CAB) has secured a judgment for more than €600,000 against a convicted IRA man who was suspected of money laundering after he was found with more than €94,000 in a Daz washing powder box.
Good to see progress by the CAB on this.

I'd love to have been in the court to hear the defence of "well I had €94k in my daz box, and the guards didn't plant it, but sher I've LOADS of daz boxes, how can I know what's in every one of them?". They looked through 5 years of financial records and identified a huge amount that couldn't be accounted for.

It's good to hear the success stories of the department, I always feel we need to see more prominence from them. A CAB investigation should follow any serious suspicion of illegal income.

Hewson

Maybe he was laundering it.

bye bye mubarak

Always wondered how come he was connected with the Northern bank robbery, but the soap box contained Euros, when the bank was robbed of Sterling Northern bank notes.

Hewson

CAB gets

I'd love to have been in the court to hear the defence of "well I had €94k in my daz box, and the guards didn't plant it, but sher I've LOADS of daz boxes, how can I know what's in every one of them?". They looked through 5 years of financial records and identified a huge amount that couldn't be accounted for.

It's good to hear the success stories of the department, I always feel we need to see more prominence from them. A CAB investigation should follow any serious suspicion of illegal income.
That should include some people in politics and so-called legitimate businesses.

Why is the state paying rent on the Convention Centre to a Company it bailed out with taxpayer's money?

stopdoingstuff

My excuse would be that it would be the only way to justify my outrageously high insurance premium.

Victor Meldrew

***** Checks Detergent box under sink ****

Gutted, nothing.

Must have been one of the promo (Provo) boxes.

ger12

Nora Owen take the credit. CAB are worth every penny.

Franzoni

CAB gets

Agreed.....but as Hewson pointed out is should be across the board though......sauce for the goose and all that.....

EUrJokingMeRight

'I won it on the Horses' seems to be the defence du jour.

It's worked for others I believe.

Sync

Agreed.....but as Hewson pointed out is should be across the board though......sauce for the goose and all that.....
It absolutely should be across the board, and the CAB have done great work investigating Haughey and are currently investigating Cosgrave.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Always wondered how come he was connected with the Northern bank robbery, but the soap box contained Euros, when the bank was robbed of Sterling Northern bank notes.
Do you understand what laundering is?

gijoe

If he was driving a Provo that might explain the mysterious money find......

Nemesiscorporation

CAB gets

Any chance of them investigating the rest of SF-IRA then moving on to FF, FG, Labour etc?

That would probably raise enough to pay of the national debt and then some.

Zerubbabel

Gotta love the things gangsters teach us.

Now I know a DAZ box can hold € 94,000

A Russian gangster documentary showed how an average plastic grocery bag can hold €250,000

ger12

I thought John O'Donoghue brought forward the legislation from the opposition benches?
Then Nora and John take a bow. An unlikely couple petunia