• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Cabinet approves referendum on votes for Irish abroad

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Quare days. Arguments against citizens of the state voting just because of where they earn their living.

And I believe I read recently that, after pretty much a decade of selling Certificates of Irishness to anyone who ever had a flight-transfer at Shannon Airport, that this piece of merchandising has now been discontinued.

If it is concern for the electoral register, well then you'd have to wonder why in 13 years since it went on the Oireachtas record that the register/rolll may be as much as 40% out of date/incorrect, there has been no attempt to correct this issue.

petaljam

You may not be aware of this, but the Sinn Fein candidate got almost 14% of the vote without any Irish American biases. You probably also realize that Sinn Fein weren't around during the Famine.
Yeah. Cos nobody in Ireland ever votes based on biases that have been passed down to them by their families. :sneaky:

Or maybe the idea is that civil war era biases are grand, while famine era ones are not.

As for the idea that most Irish Americans descend from famine migrants - well, for someone complaining about others believing clich├ęs, that is kind of funny.

bells of shando

Many countries give their ex-pat citizens the right and opportunity to vote in General and Presidential elections.
This is normally carried out in the security of an Embassy or Consulate and the ballot boxes sealed.
Introducing Postal voting for non-domiciled citizens is not a good idea. It just adds another layer of possibilities of fraud in Irelands already compromised electoral system.

I suppose it is good that we are having a referendum on something not related to social issues, such as abortion, gays, women or references to God etc.

Last edited:

Lagertha

The Presidential election is a bit of a pointless waste of taxpayer money. Tbh, I would be happy to see the office abolished, hey, they could always turn the Aras into a Direct Provision centre or a massive Halting Site. :D

fifilawe

some Pr gurus who are getting well paid are coming up with "these social petty gimmicks" to boost their jobs prospects and convince us the "govt are working hard for us".It is pure deflection, diversion to take the voters focus of Health Crisis,Homeless Crisis, Drug Dependence Crisis, Suicide victims, Education Resources, and that has been the situation for years.The SSM,DIvorce,Abortion referendums were a response to a "well resourced pressure groups " but these referendums have contributed nothing to improve the lives and conditions of the 95% of us which these "issues/topics" are irrelevant.It is just PR ,SPin, and diversion on a massive well -organised scale.THis cabinet would approve changing the Constitution for the rights and liberties of Cats,Birds, sheep, chickens, budgies if some PR Guru came up with a "diversion trick" to get all the headlines but are in fact useless for 98% of the population but it takes Eoghan Murphy and Simple Simon Harris off the front pages for being "disasters incompetents, incapables and promoted beyond their station".

Lagertha

some Pr gurus who are getting well paid are coming up with "these social petty gimmicks" to boost their jobs prospects and convince us the "govt are working hard for us".It is pure deflection, diversion to take the voters focus of Health Crisis,Homeless Crisis, Drug Dependence Crisis, Suicide victims, Education Resources, and that has been the situation for years.The SSM,DIvorce,Abortion referendums were a response to a "well resourced pressure groups " but these referendums have contributed nothing to improve the lives and conditions of the 95% of us which these "issues/topics" are irrelevant.It is just PR ,SPin, and diversion on a massive well -organised scale.THis cabinet would approve changing the Constitution for the rights and liberties of Cats,Birds, sheep, chickens, budgies if some PR Guru came up with a "diversion trick" to get all the headlines but are in fact useless for 98% of the population but it takes Eoghan Murphy and Simple Simon Harris off the front pages for being "disasters incompetents, incapables and promoted beyond their station".
Exactly and voter turn out is getting lower, was this one something like only a 51% turnout or something like that? I also didn't like the vagueness of the second part of the divorce referendum question. They were 2 separate questions and should have been put as such, not putting people in a position where if they wanted to vote yes to shorten the divorce time but no to the second part they still had to vote yes, I wonder what the sneakiness of that was?

redmonite

As long as the nomination process is tightened up to stop the loonbags from running or perhaps use an electoral college system, then it should be ok.
Funny how noone in the media had any problem with people hoping on the plane to return home to vote on the 8th ammendment.

wombat

Funny how noone in the media had any problem with people hoping on the plane to return home to vote on the 8th ammendment.
It suited the media to play it up. TBH, I doubt many would fly home to vote for a president. I must admit that when I lived in Canada, I was far more concerned about who ruled Canada than who ruled Ireland, it was "my economy".

Barroso

The Cabinet has decided to hold a referendum in October on extending voting rights in Presidential elections to Irish citizens living abroad. Is this a good or bad idea?

I will vote no because of the no representation without taxation (including indirect taxes) principle. I'm also concerned it could involve postal voting, which has been implicated in fraud for example in a UK GE in Scotland some years ago.

So is the date of the Genral Election set now?

The Presidential election is a bit of a pointless waste of taxpayer money. Tbh, I would be happy to see the office abolished, hey, they could always turn the Aras into a Direct Provision centre or a massive Halting Site. :D
No, I disagree giving the people the right to elect their head of state is something Ireland can be proud of, unlike the Brits who still practice feudalism.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
Register online and post in your ballot?

Nope not voting for that!

The scope for electoral fraud is just too high.

The best method is go to the Irish Embassy/Consulate nearest to you and produce a biometric passport and cast your ballot in front of an Embassy Official acting as an Electoral Officer.

For the North they can establish centres there in the major cities that people can go to and do the same thing.

Its not exactly rocket science

- but they will fup it up anyway.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies