Cabinet positions in next FG/Lab coalition

Jesus Wept

I'm predicting a General Election in December or January. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that our next government will be an FG/Lab coalition.

I think it's also easy to predict who the next Labour members of cabinet will be: Gilmore, Rabbitte, Burton, Quinn, Stagg, Shortall and Broughan are guaranteed senior portfolios.

However, I find it much more difficult to predict (largely as a consequence of the recent failed coup) who the FG members will be. Kenny, Reilly and Noonan are obviously three certainties. But after them, all bets are off. I'd go so far as to say that even Richard Bruton is not guaranteed a place in the next cabinet.

So, any predictions as to who the other likely FG members of cabinet will be?

wombat

I think it's also easy to predict who the next Labour members of cabinet will be: Gilmore, Rabbitte, Burton, Quinn, Stagg, Shortall and Broughan are guaranteed senior portfolios.
Doesn't leave much for FG:lol:

paddywhack

Wouldn't it be great if the next Taoiseach had the courage to appoint some real economists and proven businees leaders to the Seanad and then offer them ministerial posts? They wouldn't have any fear of losing their seats in the following election as there will be some very unpopular decisions to be made over the course of the next Dail.

Future Irish Leader

Limerick will need its minister i would put my money on jan o'sullivan not noonan

ymmek

I'm predicting a General Election in December or January. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that our next government will be an FG/Lab coalition.

However, I find it much more difficult to predict (largely as a consequence of the recent failed coup) who the FG members will be. Kenny, Reilly and Noonan are obviously three certainties. But after them, all bets are off. I'd go so far as to say that even Richard Bruton is not guaranteed a place in the next cabinet.

Dont go having any bets or you will be skint before long.OSullivan a certainty to be a senior minister,probably education with Broughan and Shorthall juniors.

Red_93

Dont go having any bets or you will be skint before long.OSullivan a certainty to be a senior minister,probably education with Broughan and Shorthall juniors.
Seán Sherlock will be at cabinet too.

Jesus Wept

Doesn't leave much for FG:lol:
I think it will be a 9/6 (FG/Lab) division of senior portfolios. Gilmore will obviously be Tanaiste and I suspect will go the Spring route of Foreign Affairs. I think Labour will be keen to keep Reilly out of Health and suspect Joan Burton will be given this portfolio. Noonan will get Finance as part of this trade off and Shortall will be given Education. Reilly will get Social Welfare and Rabbitte or Quinn will get Enterprise, Trade and Employment. Broughan will get Transport.

The rest of the senior portfolios will go to FG but the big question is to whom?

Tea Party Patriot

At the moment that one be more than one minister for each three TDs Labour have in the Dail before junior are even looked for leaving FG with one minister for each 6, do Labour currently consider that they are twice as entitled as Fine Gale. Ye might want to wait until after a general election to be so sure ye will get a mandate. After all in its entire history Labour went over 30 TDs once!

Ronanh87

Stagg don't know about that. Gilmore is trying to get a younger image across. Sean Sherlock has a chance, Jan o Sullivan too. Its going to be intersting to see who gets what. Burton could get Finance, Gilmore will get Justice or Foreign Affairs. Quinn will get Education. Cant see Varadkar,Coveney,Hayes and Bruton happy to be playing second fiddle.

Jesus Wept

At the moment that one be more than one minister for each three TDs Labour have in the Dail before junior are even looked for leaving FG with one minister for each 6, do Labour currently consider that they are twice as entitled as Fine Gale. Ye might want to wait until after a general election to be so sure ye will get a mandate. After all in its entire history Labour went over 30 TDs once!
In the 20th Dail (Cosgrave/Corish coalition) the ratio of Senior Ministries was 2/1. In the Bruton, Spring and DeRossa Rainbow Coalition the breakdown was 9 senior ministries for FG and 7 for Lab/DL.

If the current opinion polls can be trusted then it's likely that the Gilmore gale will be even more impressive than the Spring surge.

L

longshortgrass

Limerick will need its minister i would put my money on jan o'sullivan not noonan
What are O'Sullivan's qualifications for ministerial position?

Labour are a tad short on talent and numbers at present. The numbers will increase after the next GE, but this is no time for raw recruits in positions of responsibility.

Do you want the IMF to return?

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
A crucial issue is to make sure Labour doesn't get its grubby hands on immigration-policy, given their contempt for public opinion on the issue, as demonstrated in the Citizenship Referendum. People of Ireland, I ask you to use your votes to reduce this likelihood by voting for a different party (even a different Rainbow party). On the other hand, I don't want Shatter in Justice either given his excessive liberalism on bogus asylum-seekers. He was on Newstalk "Breakfast" a couple of months ago arguing for a deported mother to be allowed return to Ireland to join her child instead of the child being sent to her country and reunited there. This was in spite of the fact that the child was not an Irish citizen. We're this precedent to stand it would re-create the "Irish baby" loophole of pre-2004.

I have heard it said that Rabbitte will become Finance Minister in a Labour-led govt, owing to him being (as was described I think on "The Week in Politics" or "Marian Finucane") "Gilmore's righthand man".

Last edited:

Nobber Man

It is a total waste of time speculating about who will be in the next Cabinet until after the election.

However, your Labour predictions are way off. They will not include Stagg, Shortall or Broughan. Because Labour's parliamentary representation will double after the election, watch out for some Labour 'first day' Ministers, who are not even members of the Dáil at the moment.

Labour ministers will include Sherlock and Ciarán Lynch.

SilverLining

A cabinet of Muppets led by a Sock Puppet, no thanks !

Dissolve the Dáil, lock up Leinster House. Have no further elections until we are able to govern ourselves with an honest administation that we can trust to put the nation before their own ego driven self interests. Our political "elite" have failed so it's time to let them go, sack them, hand out P45s, and make redundant as they have not done their job.

jacko

time to skip a generation on the labour side - Sean Sherlock, Ciaran Lynch and Alan Kelly should all be in the cabinet

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies