Californian court grants 'Non-Binary' gender status?

silverharp

Gender insanity jumping the shark? back in my day there were only a choice of 2 which makes sense, a genetic disorder isnt a gender or sex and more than someone with Downs is a different class of human. Will Tumblr take over the justice system?

Californian Becomes Second US Citizen Granted 'Non-Binary' Gender Status - NBC News

On Monday, in a Santa Cruz courtroom, Sara Kelly Keenan became the second U.S. citizen—and the first California resident—to legally change her gender from female to "non-binary." Keenan followed in the footsteps of Oregon resident Jamie Shupe, who in June became the first person in the U.S. to successfully petition a court to recognize non-binary as a gender identity.

Keenan, a 55-year-old retired paralegal, told NBC OUT on Monday that she had never considered petitioning a court for a gender change to something other than male or female until Shupe's story made international news.

"Until Jamie did it," Keenan said, "I thought it was change that needed to happen through the legislative process."

Keenan was born intersex, with a condition known as Swyer Syndrome that prevents the body from producing sex hormones. When Keenan was a teenager and showed no signs of starting puberty, she was diagnosed and underwent a surgery to remove gonadal tissue—a process that she said was not fully revealed to her by her parents or doctors.

Web MD seems to be more reasonable

Swyer syndrome

General Discussion

Swyer syndrome is a rare disorder characterized by the failure of the sex glands (i.e., testicles or ovaries) to develop. Swyer syndrome is classified as a disorder of sex development (DSD), which encompasses any disorder in which chromosomal, gonadal or anatomic sex development is abnormal. Girls with Swyer syndrome have an XY chromosomal makeup (as boys normally do) instead of an XX chromosomal makeup (as girls normally do). Despite having the XY chromosomal makeup, girls with Swyer syndrome look female and have functional female genitalia and structures including a vagina, uterus and fallopian tubes.

Girls with Swyer syndrome lack sex glands (ovaries). Instead of sex glands, women with Swyer syndrome have "gonadal streaks", in which the ovaries do not develop properly (aplasia) and are replaced by functionless scar (fibrous) tissue. Because they lack ovaries, girls with Swyer syndrome do not produce sex hormones and will not undergo puberty (unless treated with hormone replacement therapy). Mutations in several different genes are known to cause Swyer syndrome. This condition can occur as the result of a new gene mutation or can be inherited in an autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, X-linked or Y-linked manner.

Mercurial

Why do you care what some person in California thinks about their gender identity?

Is there some way in which this makes your life go worse, or in which it makes the lives of other people go worse?

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Why do you care what some person in California thinks about their gender identity?

Is there some way in which this makes your life go worse, or in which it makes the lives of other people go worse?
I've wasted nearly 90 seconds of my life on this thread. Who can I speak to in relation to getting them back.....

:|

silverharp

Shutup you fúcking TRANSPHOBE!
if I remember the "trans wars " from last year the argument was that they wanted the State to be a party to passing off as the other sex. I don't see that argument here.

silverharp

they might sue me if I refused to acknowledge their brand new officially sanctioned status? plus it just seems illogical, you just don't amend laws because "I" have to prove it causes some overriding damage.

Trainwreck

they might sue me if I refused to acknowledge their brand new officially sanctioned status? plus it just seems illogical, you just don't amend laws because "I" have to prove it causes some overriding damage.
It is probably the same reason Mercurial cares how many women a polygamist in Australia might wish to marry...

Fractional Reserve

Gender insanity jumping the shark? back in my day there were only a choice of 2 which makes sense, a genetic disorder isnt a gender or sex and more than someone with Downs is a different class of human. Will Tumblr take over the justice system?

Californian Becomes Second US Citizen Granted 'Non-Binary' Gender Status - NBC News

Swyer syndrome
If this person commits a crime , are they a man or a woman , what jail would they go too ?or is there now non binary jail somewhere

silverharp

It all sounds very reasonable to me.

I wonder why you allow other people's problems with which you are powerless to help complicate your life.

Especially when it seems to be the solution to their problems that irks you.
there is no solution to their problem unless medicine could fix them. rolling forward in a few years we might have to recognise otherkin and at the risk of a large fine I would have to know the genders and pronouns of a wolf-kin individual while maintaining a straight face.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
there is no solution to their problem unless medicine could fix them. rolling forward in a few years we might have to recognise otherkin and at the risk of a large fine I would have to know the genders and pronouns of a wolf-kin individual while maintaining a straight face.
Calm yourself. The fact that a state recognises a non-binary gender doesn't mean that you have to.

You can refuse to recognise other aspects of reality too, if you like.

Trainwreck

Calm yourself. The fact that a state recognises a non-binary gender doesn't mean that you have to.

You can refuse to recognise other aspects of reality too, if you like.

Well, not true. Presumably anyone can come into contact with "discrimination" laws at some point.

For example, the restaurant owner who isn't accommodating for "non-binary" people. Just for one, but there would be many other examples.

Plus the amount of public money wasted on this nonsense. Court and legal time, academic nonsense, "awareness" campaign, diversity and transgender-equality officers, forced positive discrimination in order to meet "diversity targets - now including a need to have a few "non-binary" wotsits around.

They can be whatever they want. Like I can be a dog, believe I am a dog, but it begins and ends with me and nobody is forced to do or "recognise" anything. Nor can I make claims of discrimination or offense or blah blah blah.

ManUnited

Swyer syndrome
Good for them. Native Americans recognised five genders, whitey disapproved. Now they have come around to their way of thinking.

mr. jings

They drive on the other side of the road over there as well.

On. The. Other. Side.

I mean, what the hell is that all about?

There oughta be a law.

Oh there is a law, is there? Well there oughta be a better law.

So there.

silverharp

Good for them. Native Americans recognised five genders, whitey disapproved. Now they have come around to their way of thinking.
do you have a list , that sounds interesting?

ManUnited

do you have a list , that sounds interesting?
" Of all of the foreign life ways Indians held, one of the first the Europeans targeted for elimination was the Two Spirit tradition among Native American cultures. At the point of contact, all Native American societies acknowledged three to five gender roles: Female, male, Two Spirit female, Two Spirit male and transgendered. LGBT Native Americans wanting to be identified within their respective tribes and not grouped with other races officially adopted the term "Two Spirit" from the Ojibwe language in Winnipeg, Manitoba, 1989".
Read more at Two Spirits, One Heart, Five Genders - ICTMN.com

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies