• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

CALL FOR TALLIES (and polling schemes...) for Tallyriffic map system

Casualbets

I'd be much gratified if people could send on the tallies - both for locals and euros - to me at djcpmoore@hotmail.com ... I will provide anyone who sends me on such material with whatever maps they want, and will also post interesting maps on here...

If anyone has polling schemes and/or lists of polling stations/boxes handy they would be very helpful too...

I have a few tallies and polling schemes already - these have helped make my maps of the 07 election more accurate, so I will post a selection of them shortly...

Casualbets

Some Newbridge and Naas town maps (either by area or by estate; estates maps more interesting but area maps more accurate...)

Casualbets

And finally some maps from 07...

This is waterford City...

and Limerick County...

(Willie got 41% in the city and 36% in the county - but notice how his county vote is mugh higher further away from the city...)

Christel

Good work. I can't contribute anything, though.

What I would find interesting would be if your maps could include residential location of the candidates. At least in rural areas this seems to have a major effect on the outcome.
Would be nice if someone examined this in detail.

My electoral area included the highest percentages in the state of turnout in local elections, by the way. I'd love to have it explained why that was. Are there any people seeking to explain such phenomena?

Last edited:

greenmount1

DJ those are fantastic maps. One could be looking at tally sheets for hours and not pick up the geographical awareness that your maps bring to the analysis. Excellent stuff and a lot of hard work too in terms of data entry not to mind the programming side of things.

Christel yes, there is somebody who has studied in meticulous detail the impacs of a candidates residence and also the reasons for different turnout levels. See the work of Dr. Adrian Kavanagh of NUI Maynooth who has researched these questions in exceptional detail. He has published in a number of political science journals. He has taken DEDs in Laois and in Dublin Inner City for forensic scrutiny, and no doubt many other places as well.

LK

Christel

DJ those are fantastic maps. One could be looking at tally sheets for hours and not pick up the geographical awareness that your maps bring to the analysis. Excellent stuff and a lot of hard work too in terms of data entry not to mind the programming side of things.

Christel yes, there is somebody who has studied in meticulous detail the impacs of a candidates residence and also the reasons for different turnout levels. See the work of Dr. Adrian Kavanagh of NUI Maynooth who has researched these questions in exceptional detail. He has published in a number of political science journals. He has taken DEDs in Laois and in Dublin Inner City for forensic scrutiny, and no doubt many other places as well.

LK
Thanks for this info.

Unfortunately none of his work seems available online?

wysiwyg

Great stuff DJ.. I'll try to get the South Tipperary ones for you.. but tell me, where did you get the base map with the box by box townsland areas ?

Casualbets

Great stuff DJ.. I'll try to get the South Tipperary ones for you.. but tell me, where did you get the base map with the box by box townsland areas ?

The Constituency Boundary Commission reports - the maps are broken down by DEDS... don't have the address but I'm sure I got em from the Dept of Environment site...

Christel

casualbets,

I know your work is certainly time consuming. Nevertheless: may I suggest that you leave areas white where no candidate of a party existed, as for example for Labour in most parts of Leitrim? Otherwise the maps are a bit misleading, probably.

james5001

Casualbets

Sorry James... only seen this now.... I do. The Shinner vote in Leitrim is an interesting beast....

Feckitt

Sorry James... only seen this now.... I do. The Shinner vote in Leitrim is an interesting beast....

Ok, you've got us intrigued, let us see the data.
Also, would love to see any maps you have for Louth and Cavan/Monaghan. Thanks

Dame_Enda

I think Casualbets deserves to be promoted to a mod for his excellent work on tallies over successive election cycles.