• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Call the Gardaí if you see a beggar with a child

MichaelR

I wrote this in an immigration thread but realized the message has to go wider than the NNth page of a flame war.

If you see a beggar holding a baby/child, CALL THE GARDA on the bast**d. It's not even about immigration, it's child abuse. The child is in grave danger, might be drugged, might be sold, and imoact on development is practically assured. Child protection has to step in and as far as I understand, the only way for a civilian-from-the-street to involve it is via the Gardaí.

Whatever one thinks of beggars in general, immigrants, Roma, the EU and a host of other issues is not important compared to this. I would advise against rants on the Garda call - make it short and to the point "a beggar is holding an child and I believe the child is in danger".

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer and this is perosnal opinion (but very strongly held).

Last edited:

Troy_337

Sounds like a good idea. :eek:

Bleu Poppy

I wrote this in an immigration thread but realized the message has to go wider than the NNth page of a flame war.

If you see a beggar holding a baby/child, CALL THE GARDA on the bast**d. It's not even about immigration, it's child abuse. The child is in grave danger, might be drugged, might be sold, and imoact on development is practically assured. Child protection has to step in and as far as I understand, the only way for a civilian-from-the-street to involve it is via the Gardaí.

Whatever one thinks of beggars in general, immigrants, Roma, the EU and a host of other issues is not important compared to this. I would advise against rants on the Garda call - make it short and to the point "a beggar is holding an child and I believe the child is in danger".

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer and this is perosnal opinion (but very strongly held).
How often have you witnessed the scenes you have described?

How often have you taken the action you advocate?

MichaelR

I have taken this action several times in two countries, of which I think three times in Ireland (in one of them, I approached the Gardaí at Leinster House entrance - happened to be going to the National Library and they were the closest).

I live out in the country (co. Limerick), so I only encounter them when I visit Dublin. And if I see them I get to the Guards, end of story.

This only applies to beggars with kids. For some reason I never see those in Cork (which I visit far more regularly than Dublin). I often see beggars as such in Cork, but for some reason, I only saw beggars with kids in Dublin (and outside Ireland).

yayo

For some reason I never see those in Cork (which I visit far more regularly than Dublin). I often see beggars as such in Cork, but for some reason, I only saw beggars with kids in Dublin (and outside Ireland).
More foot traffic on Dublins street - more begging opportunities.

The roma are a lot of things, but stupid they aint.

trueman

Just make sure there not using a a rubber dolly... You know the old song...? my mother gave me a rubber dolly... etc...lol...

LamportsEdge

This is troubling and may end in a referendum. What happens if one sees a pregnant beggar?

The conscientious citizen of the pro-life variety may report to the Garda that they have seen a 'beggar with child' looking for handouts and enjoin the Garda to stop the abuse of the child.

The citizen who is not moved by dogma can only complain of being harrassed for money by a person wielding a bump and a zygote.

It could only be a matter of seconds before the sweating young Garda mere weeks from Templemore could be faced by a crowd demanding that he see the unborn as an abused child and another crowd pooh-poohing such notions and demanding that the woman be given 50p for an interpreter.

This could be the spark that kindles the flame. Will either God or Richard Dawkins as one chooses save Ireland with a timely intervention on this matter before war is brought down altogether and ochones arise from the mammies of Wexford and and Galway alike.

Red_93

This is troubling and may end in a referendum. What happens if one sees a pregnant beggar?

The conscientious citizen of the pro-life variety may report to the Garda that they have seen a 'beggar with child' looking for handouts and enjoin the Garda to stop the abuse of the child.

The citizen who is not moved by dogma can only complain of being harrassed for money by a person wielding a bump and a zygote.

It could only be a matter of seconds before the sweating young Garda mere weeks from Templemore could be faced by a crowd demanding that he see the unborn as an abused child and another crowd pooh-poohing such notions and demanding that the woman be given 50p for an interpreter.

This could be the spark that kindles the flame. Will either God or Richard Dawkins as one chooses save Ireland with a timely intervention on this matter before war is brought down altogether and ochones arise from the mammies of Wexford and and Galway alike.
You are either severely disturbed or you are the best satirist on this site.

Dame_Enda

They are using the children as emotional blackmail to get the public to cough up.

LamportsEdge

The same could be said of SPUC.

james toney

I once seen a vagabond begging of sorts,and holding a child who was clearly in distress,when i called the Guards one of them agreed with me,but went on to say that
"He would love to do something about it,but his hands were tied"
I even took a photo of the incident (Below).

Last edited:

The Herren

Why would a child be in danger because her mother is holding her while she is begging for food? I predict the cops will be very very busy because thousands of mothers will be begging at soup kiichens etc very soon and they will have several kids with them no doubt. What is your real agenda here?

The Herren

I have taken this action several times in two countries, of which I think three times in Ireland (in one of them, I approached the Gardaí at Leinster House entrance - happened to be going to the National Library and they were the closest).

I live out in the country (co. Limerick), so I only encounter them when I visit Dublin. And if I see them I get to the Guards, end of story.

This only applies to beggars with kids. For some reason I never see those in Cork (which I visit far more regularly than Dublin). I often see beggars as such in Cork, but for some reason, I only saw beggars with kids in Dublin (and outside Ireland).
Have you been to see a head doctor at all? I think you need help in that area.

NewGoldDream

Website
-

Ha! Bizarre.

All over the rest of the world, anyone with an eye on the history of our society might think they should call the authorities when you see an Irish man with a child. But not here. No sirree. Despite all the reports about our own history of horrendous abuse, we think the foreigners are perverts.

You couldn't make it up.

TruthSeeker

God love the poor pregnant woman that finds herself in your company.

You are either severely disturbed or you are the best satirist on this site.
I suspect it's the former. Have a look at some of his posts to see the violent overtones and the sheer hatred, anger and contempt on display.

The Herren

Ha! Bizarre.

All over the rest of the world, anyone with an eye on the history of our society might think they should call the authorities when you see an Irish man with a child. But not here. No sirree. Despite all the reports about our own history of horrendous abuse, we think the foreigners are perverts.

You couldn't make it up.
The OP makes no mention of the beggar being a man. Your own perversion has just manifested itself.