• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Call to decriminalise prostitution in Ireland

Pig Destroyer

I'm going to open a book on how long it will take before "tompatrick" shows up on this thread.
Any takers?

Pauli

Excellent idea. Get "working girls" into the mainstream workforce. Tax and PRSI would accrue to the government. Those registered to be allowed to offer their services without harassment. With prostitutes part of the main economy, they are visible and can be subject to regular health checks in order to reduce the spread of STDs. Everybody wins. A very sensible suggestion.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
_. P .., .S.
. .:............. ....
....:.................._ ....,
............ .............., .:..
....... . . _:........ :..
_...... . .<........ ....
,...... ....... ..._.
_..... ..:...) .....
:.... ..:.... .....
.... _:..... .....
...... .....U..._.
..... _:..... (
O..... ......
:... ) .......
....._ . ...E:..),
.:.... ).... . _.....
..... ,...... .:....
) ..... ...:.._ .....
....... ..:..... ...+,
. :...... )..:...,. ....
.:....... ..+......., _:...
............?. .............. .....
. .......:............,. :...
. :..............) ...
.. I. .. ,D.

reknaw

I think it's a good idea, because the only good that comes of anything like prostitution, recreational drugs, gambling and so on being criminalised is that lucrative business opportunities are created for criminals.

On the other hand, if we don't want to decriminalise prostitution in Ireland, we should go the way of Sweden and criminalise also paying for sex. That would mean quite a few male pillars of Irish society ending up before the courts or else having to mend their ways and - horror of horrors! - screw their own wives more often.

A third way would be to go the way of Finland, where prostitution is not illegal, but pimping (i.e. mediating and taking a share of the girl's earnings) is.

An English acquaintance of mine works for the Internet English edition of the biggest daily Helsingin Sanomat and has a pretty strict editor who is very exact about what he considers too colourful language.

A few years ago, however, my friend managed to slip one past his boss. It was an article about a meeting of the City Council where only two decisions were made. The first introduced a by-law preventing cats from roaming loose and digging up neighbours' flower beds. The other imposed restrictions on the girls soliciting in certain streets.

The headline on the article read: City fathers find two ways to get tough on pussy:lol::lol::lol:

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Here, here! I do think it should be given some serious thought, and if it is to be legalised, perhaps some strict controls like Holland.

I'm going to open a book on how long it will take before "tompatrick" shows up on this thread.
Any takers?
If i was a gambling man i'd take that bet!

3 reasons it wont happen! They make too much sense!
How true is that..

myk

Criminalise, prosecute and publicise the users, then you the levels of prostitution will go way down.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
_. P .., .S.
. .:............. ....
....:.................._ ....,
............ .............., .:..
....... . . _:........ :..
_...... . .<........ ....
,...... ....... ..._.
_..... ..:...) .....
:.... ..:.... .....
.... _:..... .....
...... .....U..._.
..... _:..... (
O..... ......
:... ) .......
....._ . ...E:..),
.:.... ).... . _.....
..... ,...... .:....
) ..... ...:.._ .....
....... ..:..... ...+,
. :...... )..:...,. ....
.:....... ..+......., _:...
............?. .............. .....
. .......:............,. :...
. :..............) ...
.. I. .. ,D.

myk

Who are you to tell people what they can or cant do with their bodies?? The Pope??

Our society puts limits on people's freedom the whole time, both for their own good and the good of society.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

why wouldn't it?
What you're suggesting is to push it underground and not have it regulated in some way. I propose the alternative, clean it up, take the criminals out of the equation (where possible) and tax it.

Munion

The OP point is far too sensible and effective to ever be implemented.

Criminalise, prosecute and publicise the users. Isn't that what we've been doing since the foundation of the state and it hasn't really be working to well now has it?

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

in order to reduce the level of prostitution
Unless i'm mistaken, prostitution has increased in this country even though it's illegal?!?

What you're saying has been done since the state was founded. Not working too well now, is it?

myk

What you're suggesting is to push it underground and not have it regulated in some way. I propose the alternative, clean it up, take the criminals out of the equation (where possible) and tax it.
It already is underground. If you punish the users then you will see a sharp decline in demand for prostitution and therefore a sharp decline in prostitution. It won't eliminate it, but it is a much better alternative than legalising it and making it more common.

feargach

Who are you to tell people what they can or cant do with their bodies?? The Pope??
Worse, he's what doomed the Jews in 1932, the Democratic Majority.

myk

The OP point is far too sensible and effective to ever be implemented.

Criminalise, prosecute and publicise the users. Isn't that what we've been doing since the foundation of the state and it hasn't really be working to well now has it?
no actually, the prostitutes and pimps are criminalised at present, not the users.