Calley on junket to USA while suspended

Mushroom

Can someone with a criminal conviction (for fraud, say) get a visa to enter the US?

It's time for the DPP to get the finger out.

stanley

Biffo or the Chief Whip should withdraw him immediate, give him more time to contemplate his upcoming answers.

liamfoley

Admission to the US even for those with a visa or residence permit is purely at the discretion of Customs and Border Protection agents. Basically the people you see at Shannon and Dublin airports. They do not have to offer reasons for refusal. This might be different for a diplomatic/political type mission but Calley could just be told to **** off.

yehbut_nobut

According to RTÉ "The trip has come about because of Senator Callely's involvement with the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe.That position was given to him by the Government Chief Whip."

So can he be univted, either by the OSCE, or by the Chief whip?

edit - seems it's up to the Government to allow him to accept the invite, or not. Wonder what they'll do...

liamfoley

I can just see the Jon Stewart coverage on this, election observers coming to the US that are suspended by their own parliaments.
Too bad they are on vacation this week. However the joke is on Ireland on this one.

Abacus

According to RTÉ "The trip has come about because of Senator Callely's involvement with the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe.That position was given to him by the Government Chief Whip."

So can he be univted, either by the OSCE, or by the Chief whip?

edit - seems it's up to the Government to allow him to accept the invite, or not. Wonder what they'll do...
Well since this man is such a master of weakness identification and financial exploitation, I actually think he brings quite a lot to the OSCE table. Such a gathering does not often get the opportunity to listen to a real expert, a person who stands out in his chosen field.
I mean if the seminar/meeting was about fraud then the most interesting and informative presentation would come from a proven fraudster, right ?

President Bartlet

The office of the Government Chief Whip has said Senator Ivor Callely will not be travelling to the US to observe the Mid-Term elections.

You would really think he would get the message that nobody wants him and he should quit

Oh, I don't know. You know the saying - Set a Thief to Catch a Thief. He'd be ideal to sniff out a scam. Only problem would be he would probably want a share of it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies