• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Calling It Out - New Campaign to Tackle Homo/Bi and Trans Phobia.

General Urko

A new civil society campaign aims to shine a light on the sometimes visible, often hidden, phenomena of homophobia, biphobia and transphobia and the corresponding impact on Ireland’s LGBT+ community.

It hasn't gone away you know, despite us thinking that we have left our redneck peasant backgrounds behind us and that we are now liberal cosmopolitan Europeans.

AFAIK we don't have specific hate laws where attacks on vulnerable members of our society carry a substantial extra tarriff in sentencing, we need such laws!

General Urko

I'm cynophobic, but I wasn't born that way.

Dame_Enda

Divestment of RCC schools is part and parcel of eradicating societal homophobia, because such attitudes tend to begin at an early age, as victims of bullying will attest. A teacher who intervenes against homophobia could face the sack because the RCC can argue it violates the Church's "ethos".

owedtojoy

What happens if your born Homophobic?

Should you be bullied?🌈
You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a different shade,

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!

Songwriters: Oscar Hammerstein Ii / Richard Rogers

(From "South Pacific")

soubresauts

You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear

(From "South Pacific")
Yeah, but how do you teach Muslims?

RasherHash

Big campaign by Muslims in the UK to prevent the teaching of LGBT to 5 year olds with many parents choosing to keep their kids out of school rather than submit.

Beachcomber

A new civil society campaign aims to shine a light on the sometimes visible, often hidden, phenomena of homophobia, biphobia and transphobia and the corresponding impact on Ireland’s LGBT+ community.

It hasn't gone away you know, despite us thinking that we have left our redneck peasant backgrounds behind us and that we are now liberal cosmopolitan Europeans.

AFAIK we don't have specific hate laws where attacks on vulnerable members of our society carry a substantial extra tarriff in sentencing, we need such laws!

Will this new civil society campaign involve inventing supposed incidents involving these phobias, to support the claim that there is lots of it about?

You know - "a man looked at me strangely on the bus because I'm a trans woman" sort of stuff.

Beachcomber

Form the second article:
"Courtney has stated that the post-marriage equality hysteria has resulted in a “general consensus that homophobia doesn’t exist anymore” which he adamantly opposes and identifies as a factor in its continued existence “on a day-to-day level”."

Did this post-marriage equality hysteria come from the pro-SSM crew? Did they really think that the approval of SSM meant that homophobia had been done away with in the ROI?

If so, is that why statements were being made such as "the Irish people now support gay rights"? As if the referendum result meant that 100% of people were now onboard.

Dame_Enda

I agree that homophobia didn't disappear with the referendum. There is a big difference between disapproving of something and wanting it to be a crime. I saw a poll this morning on wikipedia which measured support for criminalising LGBT people and in Ireland it is 12%, which I found concerning though its good that they are a tiny minority. In the 1990s before decriminalisation, only one third supported decriminalisation of homosexuality.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear

(From "South Pacific")
Two Jewish writers IIRC

We were not taught 'homophobia' in school in my day I can tell you

- because none of us was a Homo!

So there was no one to bully about it.....

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
I agree that homophobia didn't disappear with the referendum. There is a big difference between disapproving of something and wanting it to be a crime. I saw a poll this morning on wikipedia which measured support for criminalising LGBT people and in Ireland it is 12%, which I found concerning though its good that they are a tiny minority. In the 1990s before decriminalisation, only one third supported decriminalisation of homosexuality.
Then why was it de-criminalised?

Dame_Enda

Then why was it de-criminalised?
While normally I support public opinion, in those days we were only starting to rebel against the RCC and its backward agenda on cultural issues. In political terms it was legalised because of the Labour party and the ECHR ruling, though it took 7 years to implement the Norris judgement because of resistance from FF and FG.

fifilawe

Fantastic,super, fabulous , these ads campaigns will really help the greater amount of people in this country struggling with rents,mortgages, childcare expenses, hospital /health service waiting lists etc.This campaign is for the "screamers,campaigners, focus groups who want to deliver good news for this "Overachieving Govt".Someone in the PR SPIN room recommended this to deflect,divert from the "real crisis in the country" that will be with us till 2035.That will be a generation's time from the 2010 IMF+ECB+EU bailout of the private banks who mismanaged on an astronomical scale. Kofi Annan Murphy and Simple Simon Harris must really love these diversionary spin ops.

toughbutfair

Weird to use the word “phobia”. I don’t think a boy can grow up to be a woman, how does that mean that I am scared of people who genuinely believe they are the opposite sex to what they are.

General Urko

Because, we were on the road to becoming a civilized society.
Anybody who believes consenting adults engaging with each otherI In private should be criminalized needs to fook off over to ISIS controlled Raqa!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies