Camel Titlark

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Given that the curved object on the Turkish flag is in fact a crescent moon and not - as Ms Mulcahy seems to think - a sickle, it may well be that the original error was actually at the writing end of things rather than the editorial one - though any sub-ed worth his or her salt should have spotted it..
And should have spotted the sickle mistake too! Though I once referred to the German Social Democratic party (repeatedly I'm afraid) as the SDP!

firefly123

The camel titlark is my favourite birdy.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
' . . . selling designer knock-off'. On page 17 of the same Irish Times Magazine dated 21 May 2016, the attention of their more discerning readers is directed to the availability of 'Suzy Skate slip on trainers by Lanvin', a snip at Brown Thomas for only €550.
Are you complaining about the absence of the hyphen in "slip on"? Explaining hyphens to Germans (and fellow English speakers) is a 90-minute-a-week occupation for me.

Who can I send the bill to? or To whom can I send the bill?

A Voice

As a newspaper typo it's already entering the realm of legend. In the Irish Times Magazine of 21 May 2016, hack Orna Mulcahy's travel piece 'Talking Turkey' referred to a certain 'Camel Titlark, founder of the Turkish state'. Spellcheckers alas are no substitute for informed and literate editorial staff, who would instantly have realised that the individual being referred to should have been Kemal Atatürk.

An eagle-eyed reader spotted this and some other mistakes in Mulcahy's article, to which the Irish Times replied, 'The errors occurred in the editing process and are regretted'. The ever vigilant Wayback Machine's cache of Mulcahy's piece dated 23 May 2016 preserves the Camel Titlark howler, but strangely the article is dated originally as 21 March 2016, updated 18 May.

How standards have fallen in the 'paper of record'.
Makes me wonder if she wasn't using voice recognition software to "write" her column. You can just imagine some of the IT hacks lounging in their armchairs drawling into headpieces à la Alan Partridge.

petaljam

Funnier was the RTE presenter I remember reading out the itinerary for the TV schedule that night.
Reading from a script he said "Later we have the RTE news at Nine, and thats followed by E.R with George Clooney"
Only he didn't annunciate the 2 letters E.R but made a long "errrrrrrrr" noise.
Best one I ever heard along those lines was Highland Radio (Donegal) presenter Shaun Doherty who was asked to play a request for a "Mrs McGinty from Carndonagh (or wherever, I forget now) who's a hundred and eleven today!" - which of course sparked lots of congratulations and some amazement, and a good deal of speculation about whether she was the oldest person in Ireland etc etc.

So they played the request, and after it Shaun said "So that was for Mrs McGinty, who's ill today."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Socratus O' Pericles

Best one I ever heard along those lines was Highland Radio (Donegal) presenter Shaun Doherty who was asked to play a request for a "Mrs McGinty from Carndonagh (or wherever, I forget now) who's a hundred and eleven today!" - which of course sparked lots of congratulations and some amazement, and a good deal of speculation about whether she was the oldest person in Ireland etc etc.

So they played the request, and after it Shaun said "So that was for Mrs McGinty, who's ill today."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lovely letter in todays’ Guardian re the play "Greta Garbo Came to Donegal".
Although she really did visit Donegal the play is an artistic construct of what MIGHT have happened. However, she did indeed visit the home of Henry McIlhenny, Glenveagh Castle, and, apparently, one of the other famous visitors there, according to the guide, was "the world-renowned fiddler Hughie McMenamin".
You remember him, of course ?
https://thesession.org/discussions/23592

former wesleyan

asset test

I read that article late in the night and thought, OK I must have gotten yer man Ataturk's name wrong after all these years, and then snored the night away in blissful ignorance.

Funniest thing I've read (when I realised next morning it was a major typo), in years.

SamsonS

Local Longford legend has it that an editor was having a row with two ladies who owned a shop and wouldn't take out an advert. He got a photo of the ladies and also a photo of two greyhounds, and mixed the captions up, with something like "two bitches in action in Longford greyhound track!"

asset test

Some radio program years ago, and the presenter spoke about something being total HIPPERBOWL.

lol.

D

Deleted member 17573

Are you complaining about the absence of the hyphen in "slip on"? Explaining hyphens to Germans (and fellow English speakers) is a 90-minute-a-week occupation for me.

You can send it to anyone you like but you might not get paid.

SamsonS

This ones must be an urban myth, but the story of the guy from an institution who carried out a sexual assult on a lady who worked as a cleaner, and fled the scene, which was followed by the headline in the paper, "NUT SCREWS WASHER AND BOLTS"

El Libre

Actually I was referring to being billed €550 for a pair of sneakers - unless that's another Irish Times typo.

Catalpast

I hear those Turkish cigarettes

- can have strange effects on Mind & Body....:shock:

Polly Ticks

Eeee Camel Titlark, sounds like a lovely little village in Yorkshire...

automaticforthepeople

Reminds me of the one time I was at mass after Christmas. Just before the mass ended the priest took to the pulpit to read the parish notices. These contained names of those who had passed away recently. It was a considerable list which he read with aplomb and the priest obviously didn't care to much about those old dears who'd departed to the great here after as the long list was rattled out at a break neck speed.
So he continued on with out stopping to pray for the souls of Dick Whittington and his cat and the pantomime cast of thousands.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies