Cameron rejects the idea of Self Determination for Ireland

Riadach

It's my business what I say cael - and I'll call him the name he was given by his parents :)
I can imagine the hissy fit Sir Elton will have when you meet him.

Fraxinus_

There were 18 major famines in ALL of Europe between 1720 and 1860. Nine of them in Ireland. Half a million Irish people were exterminated in the 1720 genocide alone. A million were exterminated in the 1840s genocide, and the population was halved by exile. Yes, we had it pretty good all right.
Not to mention those who were rounded up and sold as slaves to the West Indies after the "democratic" hero Cromwell had finished here.

But of course Schombergs ancestors would have had a completely different life, being of the Protestant Assendency. His problem now is not that Protestants are really treated badly but gone are the days that the Assendency are bowed to and control us mere peasants...celebrating Orange facism as if it were some sort of cultural carnival you'd find in Rio.

The unfortunate thing is that the Protestant Assendency was replaced with a Gombeen Catholic Assendency, which hopefully will sooner rather than later join it's predecessor in the bowels of hell.

Schomberg

But of course Schombergs ancestors would have had a completely different life, being of the Protestant Assendency. His problem now is not that Protestants are really treated badly but gone are the days that the Assendency are bowed to and control us mere peasants...celebrating Orange facism as if it were some sort of cultural carnival you'd find in Rio.
:roll:

The "ascendancy"? puh-lease :lol:

I wish we were! Gawd, how great it would be to come from some money loaded family, servents, horses and all that malarkey....

Honest to God, these savage myths and lies. dangerous fenian propaganda that we were all living the highlife :lol: what pathetic idiocy. Honestly, I feel sorry for you wallowing in yer historical self pity and MOPEry. must be some fkcuing boring and sad life. Newsflash for ya dummie - my protestant family were all small, poor policemen or small (like tiny) farmers. and awkwardly enough for you my papist ancestors were all middle class merchants, others were teachers or craftsmen and others were soldiers. This must feel like opposite day for your tiny mind?

I bet yer single??? :lol:

Last edited:

Garza

Care to explain that one? The Irish deserved it, is that what you're saying?
The Irish were the slave drivers of many British victims way before Cromwell. Dubliners were not averse from selling their fellow Irish to slavery either. There were Irish slaves as far away as Persia.

Schomberg

The Irish were the slave drivers of many British victims way before Cromwell. Dubliners were not averse from selling their fellow Irish to slavery either. There were Irish slaves as far away as Persia.
Isn't Gaelic an old British word meaning Raider? Same as Viking.

eoghanacht

What goes round comes round ......
A rare insight into Cruimhs imperialist mindset

I suppose slavery was the africans fault

eoghanacht

eoghanacht

Isn't Gaelic an old British word meaning Raider? Same as Viking.
No, your thinking of the word gall, stranger or foreigner.

Same as welsh except thats a old anglo-saxon word for the same thing.

Last edited:

Schomberg

No, your thinking of the word gall, stranger or foreigner.

Same as welsh except thats a old anglo-saxon word for the same thing.
cheers! I wasn't sure exactly what it came from. Had the viking connection in mind for some reason....

Riadach

cheers! I wasn't sure exactly what it came from. Had the viking connection in mind for some reason....
Actually, you were correct. Apparentely Gael < Gaoidheal < Goidel comes from the Welsh word Gwyddel meaning, *ahem* 'savage'.

johndodger

Balderdash

Are you really saying if Cowen says he is working for a United Ireland that he is strengthening loyalist paramilitaries ?
I don't think Cowen would say any such thing. In Ireland the NI issue is considered closed. Of course it would be perfectly legitimate for him to state an aspiration to a United Ireland.

I think aspects of Cameron's speech were (even given the context) unwise and showed his political immaturity (something I think we will see more of over time as his arrogance fades). Just using one word such as "must" can cause lives or potentially unravel the delicate balancing act that is the NI peace process. After all, the GFA and subsequent agreements are all founded on the basis of the DSD where Britain declared no selfish or stategic interest in NI.

johndodger

in the same way Dublin should be? :roll:

He's the PM of the United Kingdom, leader of the Conservative and Unionist Party. The clues in the name.
How is Dublin not being neutral?

Fraxinus_

:roll:

The "ascendancy"? puh-lease :lol:

I wish we were! Gawd, how great it would be to come from some money loaded family, servents, horses and all that malarkey....

Honest to God, these savage myths and lies. dangerous fenian propaganda that we were all living the highlife :lol: what pathetic idiocy. Honestly, I feel sorry for you wallowing in yer historical self pity and MOPEry. must be some fkcuing boring and sad life. Newsflash for ya dummie - my protestant family were all small, poor policemen or small (like tiny) farmers. and awkwardly enough for you my papist ancestors were all middle class merchants, others were teachers or craftsmen and others were soldiers. This must feel like opposite day for your tiny mind?

I bet yer single??? :lol:
To be fair I could have swore it was you who wrote on a thread ages ago about harking back to the days of the landed gentry and the shame that they were parted from their huge estates.

Don't know how your ancestors being papist is meant to be awkward for me.

The most dangerous propaganda is imperial British propaganda.

New Threads

Top Bottom