Cameron rejects the idea of Self Determination for Ireland

Cruimh

When that MP happens to be a Tory PM, making a speech to his own party. A speech that would have been drafted and redrafted numerous times, each word painstakingly examined and measured then there is a problem.

He's just given violent dissidents another recruitment tool.

'together is how we must remain'- he goes further than staing he believes in the UK, he has stated the UK 'must' remain together.
Balderdash

Are you really saying if Cowen says he is working for a United Ireland that he is strengthening loyalist paramilitaries ?

Cael

Heh - you seem to have backed away from ranting about ************************a Kinte and the British state......

Honour thy father and thy mother ..... The Commandment

Bit disrespectful to dump the name they gave you for cheap political point scoring, eh what ?
the point about Kúnte Kinte is very relevant. The British invader forced the Irish people to Anglicise their names and the names of their places. We had names that had a meaning and historical relevance. Now we have meaningless bástardisations. The move to give these names their correct forms and meanings is a very important one. Just as at the end of Roots, the decendent of Kúnte Kinte goes back to Africa to find out where he really came from. Its not disrespectful to our parents, most of whom still lived under British cultural terrorism and brainwashing. And even if it was, its not your business to tell anyone that they must keep a name that they feel alien to them.

Ó Donnchadha

No problem at all if it is the name they are born with mo chara.
Well it is not unprecedented. Here in the US a lot of blacks have started to use African, and other non-traditional American names. Sometimes the oppressed prefer to throw off the entire identity that was forced upon them by the oppressor.

Cael

Balderdash

Are you really saying if Cowen says he is working for a United Ireland that he is strengthening loyalist paramilitaries ?
The point is that the Brits sold the GFA on the basis that they were going to stay neutral.

Cael

So Brendan's mother and father oppressed him ?
They were oppressed people themselves, who accepted the cultural domination of the Anglo-Saxon.

Cruimh

the point about Kúnte Kinte is very relevant. The British invader forced the Irish people to Anglicise their names and the names of their places. We had names that had a meaning and historical relevance. Now we have meaningless bástardisations. The move to give these names their correct forms and meanings is a very important one. Just as at the end of Roots, the decendent of Kúnte Kinte goes back to Africa to find out where he really came from. Its not disrespectful to our parents, most of whom still lived under British cultural terrorism and brainwashing. And even if it was, its not your business to tell anyone that they must keep a name that they feel alien to them.
It's my business what I say cael - and I'll call him the name he was given by his parents :)

Northern Voice

Well, hopefully, we will no longer hear the lying bull about the GFA giving Ireland its de facto "freedom."
Well at least we can agree about something - the GFA signalled the complete routing and defeat of nationalism by unionism and the British government.

Cael

It's my business what I say cael - and I'll call him the name he was given by his parents :)
You are letting your prejudice get the better of you. Pity.

Cael

Well at least we can agree about something - the GFA signalled the complete routing and defeat of nationalism by unionism and the British government.
Yes, no reasonable person could deny that. It was game set and match to the British cause in Ireland.

Cruimh

They were oppressed people themselves, who accepted the cultural domination of the Anglo-Saxon.
Bollix to that and bollix to cultural nationalism - which is oppressive.
McKenna is a twerp who jumped on a bandwagon and has managed to sink even lower than Sinn Féin into the depths of obscurity and irrelevence except when people like you quote him :)

Cael

Bollix to that and bollix to cultural nationalism - which is oppressive.
McKenna is a twerp who jumped on a bandwagon and has managed to sink even lower than Sinn Féin into the depths of obscurity and irrelevence except when people like you quote him :)
This thread is not even about him, its about Cameron's imperialist intent.

Cael

You quoted him in your OP .....

And how is Cameron being Imperialist ?

NI is part of the UK with the backing of a majority of it's residents.

Cameron says that the Celtic countries MUST stay under Anglo-Saxon domination, so that England can retain its position as a world power.

dublincitizen

David Cameron has made no secret of the fact he is opposed to a United Ireland and has used every opportunity to make this known. I don't see anything new in his Tory conference speech. In fact I'd say expect more from him as he attempts to "bring Northern Ireland back into mainstream UK politics".

Theres nothing necessarily wrong with what he's doing, but it does show him to be extremely biassed towards Unionism, when really he should be seen as a neutral in the peace process.

Cael

Theres nothing necessarily wrong with what he's doing, but it does show him to be extremely biassed towards Unionism, when really he should be seen as a neutral in the peace process.
I think we can safely say that the so called "peace process" is now a dead duck.

Schomberg

Good on Cameron. It's refreshing to have an English politician in this day and age not grovelling after SF/IRA and afraid to offend Dublin. I think NI will prove itself i the coming years. The status quo is the biggest threat to an already dwindling nationalist sentiment in Northern Ireland. Long may it continue!

New Threads

Top Bottom