Cameron rejects the idea of Self Determination for Ireland

dublincitizen

The Northern Irish are an emerging culture. In the Past Unionists supported an English Football team and Nationalist supported an Irish Football team. Now increasingly we support the Northern Irish team first and foremost. (Unionists also supported NI FC in the past but it was England first, now we see them as a different side). The success of Ulster Rugby is doing a lot to bring us together, I see as many Ulster Flags as I do Ulster banners, you also see a lot of St Patrick flag and South African flags. G-Mac and Rory make us proud as a united people. The Belfast Giants also bring us together, sport is doing a lot of good. Bands like Snow patrol enforce Northern Irish further. We use the same school syllabus, cross community playgroups and schools are becoming more common. Both sides are frustrated at having no choice in government because of tribal politics, when the people get a third choice the DUP and SF are finished. We’re working together and playing together. We both want peace first. We’re the best of both cultures.
Are you seriously basing your claim of a Northern Irish identity on a common school syllabus?! As for sport, no doubt the Ulster Rugby team does bring communities together, but the Ulster team also encompasses Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan. But cop yourself on with your claim about the NI football team, you see nothing but Union Jacks, NI banners and Loyalist paramilitary flags there, its nothing but a British affair. The ROI is the Nationalists team, always has and always will be.

What defines British Culture and Irish Culture?
I'm not sure what defines British Unionist culture, but there are several things that define Irish culture - the Irish language, GAA, Irish music/dance, St. Patrick's Day among other things.

SevenStars

Excellent comments from Cameron. And I liked Paterson's recent comments about the insidious dangers of nationalist revisionism. The Tories seem to have the balance right - safeguarding the rights of all the people of the United Kingdom, and showing due respect for Irish Catholic culture, but not for one moment rowing back on their historic commitment to the Union, nor being forced into some absurd and asymmetrical position of "neutrality" whilst the Republic busily agitates for a united Ireland.
You have just lost all credibility.

Lu-la :rolleyes:

Cruimh

I'd prefer he remain neutral on the issue and leave Northern politics to the Northern parties, as Labour did.
How has he changed the GFA ? Has he declared it invalid ? Has he said that if a Majority of the NI Electorate Vote for Unification will that a Conservative Government will block it ?

Cael is being a drama queen. Anything to undermine the peace process.

Schomberg

The Northern Irish are an emerging culture. In the Past Unionists supported an English Football team and Nationalist supported an Irish Football team.
Unionists supported the England team? :lol: I never came across that mate, in all my years going across the border...unless they were playing the ROI of course and even then it was touch and go :)

I agree with the rest of your post though, there is most definitely an emerging "Ulster identity" amongst both communities. Northern Catholics, especially those in the middle classes know which side their bread is buttered. Why would they leave one of the richest and powerful nations on the world stage to join up with a tin pot republic whose economic development stands on a knife edge dependent on foreign investment, foregin companies, EU injections and whose voice in barely a whisper in the corridors of power. I think theres even a growing minority within the republic who realise we'd have been better off staying inside the United Kingdom instead of being outside looking in.

dublincitizen

How has he changed the GFA ? Has he declared it invalid ? Has he said that if a Majority of the NI Electorate Vote for Unification will that a Conservative Government will block it ?

Cael is being a drama queen. Anything to undermine the peace process.
He is compromising his position, and him and his colleagues are showing nothing but contempt for the Nationalist community when they to claim a United Ireland is only the aim of terrorists, as Owen Paterson tried to do at the Conservative conference.

Schomberg

but there are several things that define Irish culture - the Irish language, GAA, Irish music/dance, St. Patrick's Day among other things.
all the things which my "tribe" have no relation to. Hence the divide on this island. The Cultural Nationalist revolution in 1916 only succeed in carving that division in stone.

SevenStars

I agree. This agitation is so low key it's invisible
The Free State establishment has said a couple of times that they would not favour re-unification unless a majiority of Unionists agree with it....What they are interested in his make business easier to do between the occupied six counties and the Free State. And for the Brits to keep up the cosmetic face of "normalization".

dublincitizen

all the things which my "tribe" have no relation to. Hence the divide on this island. The Cultural Nationalist revolution in 1916 only succeed in carving that division in stone.
Yet you're trying to claim Unionists are somehow embracing Irish culture with their own under this new 'Northern Irish' identity?

Pull the other one...:rolleyes:

SevenStars

Arent you from Cork?

dublincitizen

The Free State establishment has said a couple of times that they would not favour re-unification unless a majiority of Unionists agree with it....What they are interested in his make business easier to do between the occupied six counties and the Free State. And for the Brits to keep up the cosmetic face of "normalization".
They've never said anything like that. The official policy of all parties in the South, bar Sinn Féin, is that they would support a United Ireland as long as a majority in the North support it. Sinn Féin are the only party who would not support Irish Unity if a democratic majority voted in favour of it.

Cruimh

He is compromising his position.
How ?

What has changed because he has said he believes in the UK ?

OK, it makes all the anschluss fans nervous as it was a big part of the spin they gave the Yanks etc that NI wasn't wanted by the UK - but the mechanism for unification is still in place - what's stopping unification isn't David Cameron but the fact that the people of NI don't want to be part of a United Ireland.

Schomberg

Arent you from Cork?
Orignally yes. whats your point? I'm still from that long standing "Orange" community in Ireland, from the ex-Unionist community in the south. Republicans seem to think that anyone from my community shouldn't have any commonality with our brethren across the border yet at the same time it's almost expected that people on this side of the border have some affinity with their lot in NI. Funny old world this...

Schomberg

Yet you're trying to claim Unionists are somehow embracing Irish culture with their own under this new 'Northern Irish' identity?

Pull the other one...:rolleyes:
whats developing in Northern Ireland as a Northern Irish identity doesn't have that much in common with what passes for an Irish identity down here.

Border-Rat

Cameron has exposed his true colours. The fact that Sinn Fein have ignored this statement exposes their colours as well. Sinn Fein are in league with the occupiers.

dublincitizen

How ?

What has changed because he has said he believes in the UK ?

OK, it makes all the anschluss fans nervous as it was a big part of the spin they gave the Yanks etc that NI wasn't wanted by the UK - but the mechanism for unification is still in place - what's stopping unification isn't David Cameron but the fact that the people of NI don't want to be part of a United Ireland.
It compromises his position because he has lost all credability within the Nationalist community, and that happened even before the election when he plotted with the Unionists to keep Nationalist parties out of Westminster.

Whenever another crisis comes about, and my guess would be after next years elections, then he will not be in a position to broker any agreement because he will be seen as biassed towards the Unionists. By remaining neutral, as Labour PMs did, he would not have compromised this position.

Antrim

Unionists supported the England team? :lol: I never came across that mate, in all my years going across the border...unless they were playing the ROI of course and even then it was touch and go :)

I agree with the rest of your post though, there is most definitely an emerging "Ulster identity" amongst both communities. Northern Catholics, especially those in the middle classes know which side their bread is buttered. Why would they leave one of the richest and powerful nations on the world stage to join up with a tin pot republic whose economic development stands on a knife edge dependent on foreign investment, foregin companies, EU injections and whose voice in barely a whisper in the corridors of power. I think theres even a growing minority within the republic who realise we'd have been better off staying inside the United Kingdom instead of being outside looking in.

Maybe it’s a North Belfast /SE Antrim thing but as I grew up People would watch England First and NI during half time. They would even wear England shirts, now all you see in NI shirts. Now it’s NI all the way.

Schomberg

You should know how it works by now.

One rule for one side........ ;)
I know mate, you'd think their hypocrisy wouldn't surprise me after all these years, but it still does.... it's the smugness of irish nationalism that especially annoys me. their bloomin's masters of it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom