Campaign of Civil Disobedience and Resistance

Legacy

Given the fact that no amount of peaceful protests, lobbying, pleading or castigating have had any effect on the Government regarding the Bailout and the inevitable forthcoming rape of our society and resources, should the public embark on Campaigns of Civil Disobedience and Resistance?

If so, what ideas do you have?

For now, leave aside acts of physical violence against a person. Time to get creative here. Think of concerted collective efforts to buck the system which would ultimately make the repayment of these loans completely unworkable. Im thinking of Gandhi's Passive Resistance Campaign in South Africa in 1906 or the Defiance Campaign in SA in 1989 as examples

They can only jail so many of us at one time.....

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "éirígí - Austerity Programme must be met with Civil Disobedience". </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

Holy Cow

Stop paying TV license is a good start.

Mister men

We have'nt got the sands in Ireland for resistance tbh. The governments plan is working like a charm. Soon people won't be able to feed their kids and keep the house warm and those who are lucky enough to have work will not risk losing it. We are one of the only peoples on the entire planet who would have let our leaders do what they have done to the nation. You say shame on them, i say shame on us.

Lord Wellington

Given the fact that no amount of peaceful protests, lobbying, pleading or castigating have had any effect on the Government regarding the Bailout and the inevitable forthcoming rape of our society and resources, should the public embark on Campaigns of Civil Disobedience and Resistance?

If so, what ideas do you have?

For now, leave aside acts of physical violence against a person. Time to get creative here. Think of concerted collective efforts to buck the system which would ultimately make the repayment of these loans completely unworkable. Im thinking of Gandhi's Passive Resistance Campaign in South Africa in 1906 or the Defiance Campaign in SA in 1989 as examples

They can only jail so many of us at one time.....

I agree.

But let's leave the "For now" out of the "For now, leave aside acts of physical violence against a person."

Ideas are needed to make the bank debt not payable.

This may mean who think themselves clever and privileged will no longer be so.

Violence is not an option.

Truth is.

Partizan

1. Our useless and corrupt union leadership somehow redeeming themselves by calling for a 1 day national strike.

2. Mass protest outside the Dail on Budget day after 5pm (already going ahead). Pots and pans. Sit down protest on the street. Everyone be there.

3. Refusal to pay water rates and sabotaging the water meters.

4. Refusal of mortgage holders to pay their mortgages.

greengreen

This is about the only idea that will make things worse. It's way too late for that, lets just keep everything steady now.

MuchToDo

Add FF or Fianna Fáil to every election poster put up by an FFer.

People like Willie O'Dea who seem to think that they can be opposition (especially in the media) while not only being a member of government and Fianna Fáil, but also supporting it in votes.

We also need to make sure Fianna Fáil never lose their current association with the word traitors. The message needs to be communicated that not only does this apply to Biffo & co. but to the individual FFers down the country no matter how benign some may try to appear. Every one of them is culpable.

Just make sure you spell it correctly - t r a i t o r s.

Legacy

I agree.

But let's leave the "For now" out of the "For now, leave aside acts of physical violence against a person."

Ideas are needed to make the bank debt not payable.

This may mean who think themselves clever and privileged will no longer be so.

Violence is not an option.

Truth is.
Thanks for your response. I guess I am someone who says 'never say never'. Unfortunately many historical revolutions are steeped in the blood of those who died for the cause or were killed because of it. However in this instance, the 'For Now' comment was meant to refer to this Thread and perhaps my feeble attempt at asking people not to hijack it with rants of burn, burn, burn....

Legacy

I think that the mortgage crisis in this country could be the key to bring it all down. The crisis has not been addressed and with the deal done, no money is there to write down, restructrue.
Cowen makes you weep when he says (on his insane salary) we are a nation, that pays its debts. These debts were not Irish peoples regular debts to pay, not even luxury debts.

I would imagine the next crisis will be a critical mass refusing to pay mortgage debts.
I would not blame anyone who said no.
All their politicians have done is ensure faceless foreign bond holders are paid out for gambling on Ireland.
I think you're right. The High Court is seeing more and more cases of mortgage defaulters appearing every day. Perhaps communities can come together to resist the eviction of local families from their streets who have fallen into arrears through no fault of their own?

anarko

brilliant thread

lets try to keep it suggestive and positive
no point in all us argueing about small/large differences in the how we do it
the thing is to do it....
all sugestions help our objectives

we need to force a default
its not our problem or debt

Squire Allworthy

I was always a great admirer of these people

The Peace Tax Seven - Quaker Testimony

In addition I would feel mighty uneasy to lend any support to the institutions being bailed out and would find alternatives if I had not already done so.

Big marches are great for showing solidarity, but you need to take it to the them up and down the country. You have to wrong foot them and their support base. You need pickets and demonstrations up and down the country aimed at FF.

I would go further; there is a fine Irish tradition and it is called boycott. Send them to Coventry.

ANd call them for what they are traitors.

Gibby

In one single word - Rabobank!!!

I'll be moving my money out of the Irish bank's reach!

anarko

some great ideas..... fair play

communities against evictions is definetly a winner

taking back OUR ( NAMA ) ghost housing and demanding
them for evicted families or community groups etc

target fg and labour clinics with litretrue on their selling us out to the banks
they're the next gov after all

definetly target ff clinics, banners calling them criminals etc

we need to get the taxi drivers on board
they can lock down a city or town

the obvious one is general strikes
fook ictu....they're irrelivent now

John Deere 5820

Something like another land war (NON VIOLENT)??

Don't know the in and outs of a withdrawal of all non essential services, how would the public react? all employers to withhold PRSI and PAYE payments?? Would the coppers support it?

I think you're right. The High Court is seeing more and more cases of mortgage defaulters appearing every day. Perhaps communities can come together to resist the eviction of local families from their streets who have fallen into arrears through no fault of their own?

EUrJokingMeRight

Everyone in the private sector should take a
protest 'sick day' on Monday the 6th December.

Everyone should reconsider paying any bank debt.
Including any Mortgage, Personal, Credit card debt.

reconsider paying your esb, eircom, bord gais bills, TV licence.

reconsider paying your personal tax and your corporation tax if an employer.

reconsider paying water rates.

If we make the cash flow unreliable, they will listen very quickly.

If we stop going into work, they will listen very quickly.

Simple.

The corrupt system relies on our compliance.

Withdraw that compliance.

If Fianna fail wont default, then the individual can.

Dont support their banks by giving them your money.

Dont support their semi states by giving them your money.

Keep your money.

Do not give your money to people who you do not trust and who do not have the best interest of you or your family at heart.

Legacy

In one single word - Rabobank!!!

I'll be moving my money out of the Irish bank's reach!
I've held my few bob savings steady in the PTSB but I will contact them tomorrow and take my money out of this country. Thats my first step. Thanks :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies