• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Campaigning for Irish Diaspora Ancestral Return Rights: Jus Sanguin

DaBrow

Hi, David Mcwilliams as far back as 2 years ago in the Generation Game talked about how as a country we can benefit from an alternative source of population growth than strengthens our national identity, given fears of what Mass-Immigration is doing to the Ireland that we all love and cherish.

If there is any major development on this subject, and it needs to be well planned/foolproof to work how about:

Have strong ancestral ties to the country; Have Predomient Irish Ancestry of (51%+ minimum and nothing lower that counts as only partial descent............... because that will allow the system to be abused. However, if their Irish background comprises the largest of their ancestry say 50% and their other half is split into other partial identities... this would allow them to qualify without problems

Have a clean or very minor criminal record of small misdemenours they have since reformed from committing.

Be fluent in English and show the commitment to learn or already hold fluency in Irish............. we want to protect the Irish Language and ensure its growth

Have a good standard of education or have an impressive skillset.................... these will help develop infrastructure and hard/soft-power

Be knowledgeable of Irish History, culture and customs.................... From personal experience, I have met many (Not all for the sake of courtesy) British-Born People of Irish-Descent who have no concept of irish identity at all............ this is one of the most important criterions to meet

These Country's follow more sensible Jus Sanguin Laws than our own stupid one:

Italy

Greece

Japan

Jus sanguinis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Moderate

eh no.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Phinaeus

Hi, David Mcwilliams as far back as 2 years ago in the Generation Game talked about how as a country we can benefit from an alternative source of population growth than strengthens our national identity, given fears of what Mass-Immigration is doing to the Ireland that we all love and cherish.

If there is any major development on this subject, and it needs to be well planned/foolproof to work how about:

Have strong ancestral ties to the country; Have Predomient Irish Ancestry of (51%+ minimum and nothing lower that counts as only partial descent............... because that will allow the system to be abused.

Have a clean or very minor criminal record of small misdemenours they have since reformed from committing.

Be fluent in English and show the commitment to learn or already hold fluency in Irish............. we want to protect the Irish Language and ensure its growth

Have a good standard of education or have an impressive skillset.................... these will help develop infrastructure and hard/soft-power

Be knowledgeable of Irish History, culture and customs.................... From personal experience, I have met many (Not all for the sake of courtesy) British-Born People of Irish-Descent who have no concept of irish identity at all............ this is one of the most important criterions to meet

These Country's follow more sensible Jus Sanguin Laws than our own stupid one:

Italy

Greece

Japan

Jus sanguinis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I consider myself a right-winger but the above is pure Celtic fascism.

mmrebel

as opposed to irish fascism ? celtic meaning irish, scotch ,welsh ,manx and breton.

Jus Sanguin Laws are not without merit though i think.

DaBrow

What having predominent Irish Ancestry? In order to be eligible for Irish Citizenship, that to me is fair on ancestral grounds and having ties to the country.

Currently anyone whom is genetically Irish but has ancestors that left after the generation of Grand Parents are turned down and told they aren't welcome.

Two Girls from Argentina in 2002 fitted all the above as I have mentioned, but were turned away because as our current law stands they were born a generation too late

DaBrow

shut up you gob********************e...
Anyone that has Descent be it Spanish, German, French etc that is just over half that ancestry...... would/should be that nationality.

What is wrong with that?

The Italians and Greeks hold that rule, so why shouldn't we?

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
There is nothing "fascist" about it. Israel and Germany have similar "laws of return". I support McWilliams on this issue. If persons of Irish origin were coming in on a large scale it would counterbalance concerns many of us have about Ireland losing its separate identity. There's also a moral dimension to this, in that the ancestors who left our shores during the Famine would have wanted their descendents to be able to return to the far more prosperous Ireland we have now. We are still a wealthy country, even taking account of our recession.If there is resistance to this concept from the Irish political-class, then it needs to be seen in the context of their obsession with what they call "diversity/multiculturalism", which they see as a way of overcoming native resistance to Eurofederalism through demographic social-engineering. They don't want persons of Irish background to necessarily remain the majority in this country, as they might be more reluctant (as seen last June) to go along with grand-designs aimed at creating a European superstate. Persons with an inherited history of Irish nationalism on the other hand, would only make the elite's plans harder to bring to fruition, as they would be more likely to vote no.

Last edited:

Riadach

There is nothing "fascist" about it. Israel and Germany have similar "laws of return". I support McWilliams on this issue. If persons of Irish origin were coming in on a large scale it would counterbalance concerns many of us have about Ireland losing its separate identity. There's also a moral dimension to this, in that the ancestors who left our shores during the Famine would have wanted their descendents to be able to return to the far more prosperous Ireland we have now. We are still a wealthy country, even taking account of our recession.If there is resistance to this concept from the Irish political-class, then it needs to be seen in the context of their obsession with what they call "diversity/multiculturalism", which they see as a way of overcoming native resistance to Eurofederalism through demographic social-engineering. They don't want persons of Irish background to necessarily remain the majority in this country, as they might be more reluctant (as seen last June) to go along with grand-designs aimed at creating a European superstate. Persons with an inherited history of Irish nationalism on the other hand, would only make the elite's plans harder to bring to fruition, as they would be more likely to vote no.
How would inviting such individuals help prevent us from losing our separate identity? Or is our 'unique' identity the Mcdonaldised culture most of these individuals have been brought up in?

Last edited:

mmrebel

really? and what would they be mein fuhrer...?
I couldnt put any better than FutureTaoiseach to be honest.

But all you have done is abuse people and call them names so why dont you tell us why its a bad idea and try and win me over instead of calling me names if not run back to your play with your childish name calling .

Limerick Lad

What's stopping those from the Irish diaspora coming to live in Ireland other than the blindingly obvious, they obviously don't want to.
If they didn't chose to come and live in Ireland during the Celtic Tiger years, they are hardly likely to want to come now with rising unemployment, rising taxes and reductions in public services.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
How would inviting such individuals help prevent us from losing our separate identity? Or is or 'unique' identity the Mcdonaldised culture most of these individuals have been brought up in?

Because historical experience - especially during the Peace Process in the 1990's - has shown that many Irish-Americans have a deep empathy with Ireland and its interests. They would be loyal citizens if allowed to live here. It's sortof like what happens with American-Jews and their loyalty to Israel (even if I am a critic of Israel that is not pertinant to this discussion). They would integrate and assimilate much easier than immigrants from non-English speaking, non Judeo-Christian countries.

Riadach

Because historical experience - especially during the Peace Process in the 1990's - has shown that many Irish-Americans have a deep empathy with Ireland and its interests. They would be loyal citizens if allowed to live here. It's sortof like what happens with American-Jews and their loyalty to Israel (even if I am a critic of Israel that is not pertinant to this discussion). They would integrate and assimilate much easier than immigrants from non-English speaking, non Judeo-Christian countries.
Having a deep empathy with Ireland and its interests (however nebulous) is not the same as preserving a unique Irish cultural identity. I can only point at how the American Jews failed to assimilate with the Mizrahi Jews who lived in Israel prior to their arrival. I see no cultural advantage in allowing automatic access to those of Irish blood into Ireland. It seems to be to be, dare I say it, a more racially inspired idea than anything else. Irishness is not blood-based, it's culturally and geographically based, it is attainable, and it would be very dangerous for anyone to doubt that point giving the actual ethnic mix in Ireland.

DaBrow

What's stopping those from the Irish diaspora coming to live in Ireland other than the blindingly obvious, they obviously don't want to.
If they didn't chose to come and live in Ireland during the Celtic Tiger years, they are hardly likely to want to come now with rising unemployment, rising taxes and reductions in public services.
Most of the people that want to come to Ireland as returning Descendants currently cannot do so because of our current Citizenship Law.

Most are over the Grandparent Generation of Eligibility which despite their strong ancestral links, shuns them from being able to even apply.

JFK would have been at least 2 generations over the eligibilty conditions that we have at this moment, it says in the constitution that the state cherishes its diaspora and we should allow them to be able to return without prejudice on grounds of generation.

Christine Murray

Website
www.poethead.wordpress.com
and yet the government denies the diaspora voting rights ? l know family and friends who have no desire to return because they abhor the very moral conservatism that informed their departures.

Phinaeus

Anyone that has Descent be it Spanish, German, French etc that is just over half that ancestry...... would/should be that nationality.

What is wrong with that?

The Italians and Greeks hold that rule, so why shouldn't we?
Nah, I think the Haughey/Reynolds approach was better: grant Irish citizenship to any Arab Sheikh who's prepared to invest at least a billion in the Irish bloodstock industry.

Interestingly, the Brits seem to be a bit more rigorous in deciding whom they grant their citizenship to: Dodi Al Fayed, the owner of that most quintessentially English institution, Harrods, has been declined time and time again. But then that might also be due to the fact that every time a microphone is put in front of his gob he asserts that Prince Philip and MI6 murdered his son Dodi and his girlfriend Diana.

Riadach

Nah, I think the Haughey/Reynolds approach was better: grant Irish citizenship to any Arab Sheikh who's prepared to invest at least a billion in the Irish bloodstock industry.

Interestingly, the Brits seem to be a bit more rigorous in deciding whom they grant their citizenship to: Dodi Al Fayed, the owner of that most quintessentially English institution, Harrods, has been declined time and time again. But then that might also be due to the fact that every time a microphone is put in front of his gob he asserts that Prince Philip and MI6 murdered his son Dodi and his girlfriend Diana.
They were equally reluctant to grant him citizenship when every time a microphone was put in front of his god he used assert how small his **** was. Regardless of his son's death, I still think he'd be denied citizenship.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies