• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Can a southern irish accent cause difficulties when living in Northern Ireland ?

Spirit Of Newgrange

We now notice many northern accents of people who live and work in the republic. These can be from people of any creed. Because its close to a 50-50 scenario, they can easily pass for whatever religion they please. Welcome in peace and long may it continue.
But, a question arises. A person from the republic ( which is predominantly Catholic) can peacefully coexist in the North ? or not ? What about in a Nationalist neighbourhood ? or in a Loyalist neighbourhood ? Are there any statistics on those who grew up outside of Northern Ireland and now live there ? Be they from the British mainland or the Republic.
Please keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.
Do accents matter? - Telegraph

between the bridges

No, youse can always point at things...

DT123

Move to Fermanagh and no one will notice.

If you are working and mixing in middle class circles ,I don't forsee anything beyond the normal banter.

between the bridges

Move to Fermanagh and no one will notice.

If you are working and mixing in middle class circles ,I don't forsee anything beyond the normal banter.
Oi!! feck you siiiir...

InsideImDancing

We now notice many northern accents of people who live and work in the republic. These can be from people of any creed. Because its close to a 50-50 scenario, they can easily pass for whatever religion they please. Welcome in peace and long may it continue.
But, a question arises. A person from the republic ( which is predominantly Catholic) can peacefully coexist in the North ? or not ? What about in a Nationalist neighbourhood ? or in a Loyalist neighbourhood ? Are there any statistics on those who grew up outside of Northern Ireland and now live there ? Be they from the British mainland or the Republic.
Obviously in any Nationalist area you'd be sweet, in some strongly Loyalist areas it might be a bit dodge, in most mixed/non-strongly Loyalist areas you should also be sweet.

You might be better getting this moved to the NI forum at some point to get more responses.

InsideImDancing

SgtBilko

But, a question arises. A person from the republic ( which is predominantly Catholic) can peacefully coexist in the North ? or not ? What about in a Nationalist neighbourhood ? or in a Loyalist neighbourhood ?
in some strongly Loyalist areas it might be a bit dodge,
I doubt you'd have any problem these days to be honest, and I say that as someone from a Unionist/Loyalist stronghold.

You might have run into bother 20 or 25 years ago but I doubt anyone would give you a sideways look these days.

InsideImDancing

I doubt you'd have any problem these days to be honest, and I say that as someone from a Unionist/Loyalist stronghold.

You might have run into bother 20 or 25 years ago but I doubt anyone would give you a sideways look these days.
Fair enough mate, it's not really for me to say anyway as I obviously wouldn't know the score in those areas.

InsideImDancing

If you move into Glenshane's area you might need to watch your back!:)

between the bridges

Tbh moi don't think you would get treated any better or worse than any other foreigner...

InsideImDancing

Glaucon

Certain accents, such as those from north Donegal, and parts of northern Monaghan, sound as "nordy" as any other. Donegal, in particular, is indistinguishable from any other northerner for your average southerner. Fermanagh people sound a bit out of place, god love them.

I've never seen any southerner to get any hassle in the North, outwith the known sectarian watering holes. Northerners are extremely polite people and the sectarian berks are generally confined to the city centre slums.

between the bridges

Certain accents, such as those from north Donegal, and parts of northern Monaghan, sound as "nordy" as any other. Donegal, in particular, is indistinguishable from any other northerner for your average southerner. Fermanagh people sound a bit out of place, god love them.

I've never seen any southerner to get any hassle in the North, outwith the known sectarian watering holes. Northerners are extremely polite people and the sectarian berks are generally confined to the city centre slums.
He does, that's why he gave us extra digits...

Marcella

Definitely very difficult to distinguish the border area accents. I'm from Newry, work in North Antrim and I'm routinely asked where in the Republic I'm from.

Frosty1

I think youd be fine in most places. I think some of the wee accents are cute but id never have it myself. I think places like ballymoney youd get laughed at by young people. If you were a teenager I would not recommend going to a protestant school though.

eoghanacht

I find when one is in the less affluent areas it would serve one best to remember the mantra 'When in Rome', though the less mention of Rome the better.

So you'll need a lazy eye, some permanent marker to blacken one front tooth, a Rangers jersey and a bottle of buckfast.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies