Can anyone help Eamon Ryan with his sums here?

roc_

Ryan outlines offshore energy plan - The Irish Times - Fri, Nov 05, 2010

Every megawatt of renewable energy that goes onto the Irish national grid reduces our €6 billion annual fossil fuel bill.
So, in the UK, it is generally accepted that it costs £3m per megawatt to build offshore, while the electricity itself costs around £150 per megawatt hour to generate once the building work is finished.

I don't know what it would be here - probably double by the time you account for the additional cost of doing business in the world's foremost gombeen nation.

My question is, does anyone have any figures on how much extra we would have to pay in tax and electricity bills if Ryan was allowed to run with divvying out even more of the kind of massive contracts and investments he seems so enthusiastic about?

Watcher2

Well, with his electric car roll out, if mediocrilly successfull, he can count how much the qeues of run down cars will add to the bills.

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
Eamon Ryan was asked in the Dáil a few weeks ago how much bringing 800MW of off-shore wind onto the grid would cost through the PSO at current energy prices.

He refused to answer the question - either he knows and won't tell, or won't tell as he doesn't know. Both very worrying considering his departments policies in this area..

Read through the debate below - show's Ryan attitude to doing sums up quite well.

PSO Levy: 20 Oct 2010: Dáil debates (KildareStreet.com)

joemomma

Given that oil and gas will forever be plentiful and cheap, reducing our fossil fuel bill is clearly folly of the highest order. The way Ryan goes on you'd swear that oil was a finite resource or something.

jpc

Don't worry about the cost.
Spread the vision Eamon.

ballot stuffer

Like many green dopes he thinks wind energy is free because they don't have to buy fuel.

Oppenheimer

He could use this - an energy efficient way of carrying out calculations. Its bound to have a smaller carbon footprint than a solar powered calculator and if he gets his sums wrong we can also impale him as punishment on it.

SideysGhost

Well, with his electric car roll out, if mediocrilly successfull, he can count how much the qeues of run down cars will add to the bills.
That electric car initiative is such a bad joke - where does Eamo think the electricity comes from in the first place? And when Germany and California have already figured that out and are pushing ahead with the liquid hydrogen model and hydrogen fuel cells.

Oppenheimer

That electric car initiative is such a bad joke - where does Eamo think the electricity comes from in the first place? And when Germany and California have already figured that out and are pushing ahead with the liquid hydrogen model and hydrogen fuel cells.
Yes, much better to get a mobile deckchair with a hat - I see Sir Clive is at it again......

Sinclair C5 inventor Sir Clive returns with new twist on battery-powered car | Mail Online

The Daily Mash - JUST MAKE A CAR, EVERYONE TELLS SINCLAIR

carlowman

Given that oil and gas will forever be plentiful and cheap, reducing our fossil fuel bill is clearly folly of the highest order. The way Ryan goes on you'd swear that oil was a finite resource or something.

... No, fossil fuel depletion is as obvious as Dan Boyle's gut...but on what basis has Ryan decided to preguess the market and decide that electric cars are the way to go. Why? ...because hydrogen cars don't work???? Does Ryan have a magic crystal ball that allows him to waste taxpayers money on nonsense deals with Renault and Toyota when no one yet knows how the market is going to go. Don't pre-guess the market minister... you can't...put the money into improving broadband, the grid or lash it across to social protection to help reduce the cuts from old age pensions... it would be put to much better use that way.

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
And?

Those that negate the need for clear, transparent and honest decision making? Surely we are entitled to know the economic costs to the consumer of Ryan's decision making?

Mushroom

That Dail exchange between Varadkar and Ryan was fascinating, thanks for posting the link. Ryan the spoofer was completely dismantled by Leo the Straight Talker. Well done Leo!

Looked at coldly, there isn't very much difference between McCreevy/Fianna Fail bringing in an uncosted decentralisation policy and Ryan/Green Rats bringing in an uncosted offshore energy generation policy.

The main difference, I suppose, is that McCreevy was a cute hoor whereas Ryan is simply a fanatic.

joemomma

... No, fossil fuel depletion is as obvious as Dan Boyle's gut...but on what basis has Ryan decided to preguess the market and decide that electric cars are the way to go. Why? ...because hydrogen cars don't work???? Does Ryan have a magic crystal ball that allows him to waste taxpayers money on nonsense deals with Renault and Toyota when no one yet knows how the market is going to go. Don't pre-guess the market minister... you can't...put the money into improving broadband, the grid or lash it across to social protection to help reduce the cuts from old age pensions... it would be put to much better use that way.
I didn't say anything about electric cars.

joemomma

And?

Those that negate the need for clear, transparent and honest decision making? Surely we are entitled to know the economic costs to the consumer of Ryan's decision making?
I've no problem with that, although the implication of the original post is that a policy that results in more expensive electricity in the short term is necessarily a bad thing.

H

Ryan outlines offshore energy plan - The Irish Times - Fri, Nov 05, 2010

So, in the UK, it is generally accepted that it costs £3m per megawatt to build offshore, while the electricity itself costs around £150 per megawatt hour to generate once the building work is finished.

I don't know what it would be here - probably double by the time you account for the additional cost of doing business in the world's foremost gombeen nation.

My question is, does anyone have any figures on how much extra we would have to pay in tax and electricity bills if Ryan was allowed to run with divvying out even more of the kind of massive contracts and investments he seems so enthusiastic about?
Doesn't matter a whit to an idiot like Eamo Ryan who happily gives a full vote of confidence to Willie O'Dea and the rest of their FFer's buddies

The sleazy Greens are too busy bankrolling their friends in the wind farm industry with your tax and stealth taxes to bother what correct and honest figures anyone else comes up with

Kick the scumm out we need an election to get these leeches eliminated

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
I've no problem with that, although the implication of the original post is that a policy that results in more expensive electricity in the short term is necessarily a bad thing.
Unfortunately Eamon Ryan refuses to be upfront and honest about what he is doing in the energy market. I think the debate I highlighted above shows that.

Jethro

It is infinite. We cannot call it finite until we know when we are going to run out of it....or in other words, the extent of it.

H

Unfortunately Eamon Ryan refuses to be upfront and honest about what he is doing in the energy market. I think the debate I highlighted above shows that.

Eamo Ryan and the Greens being upfront and honest!

Have you not followed their behaviour in propping up their FF masters ever since they were elected! How could anyone in their right mind imagine in their wildest fantasies that the Greens are honest after what they have done in conjunction with FF to destroy the economy?

I never believed that politics could be more debased than by FF until the Greens came along
Their application of stealth tax and various taxes to support their friends in the "green energy" industries need serious investigation

No other country would tolerate a totally biased wingnut minister due to the damage he is costing the economy and to the energy market.

Jethro

But how do we know it is the short term? Remember Carter wanted to have 20% solar by 2000 because of oil availabilty. Solar today is about 6 times more expensive than gas. Let's price the respective energies fairly eg. price carbon, and when oil is so scarce to be too expensive then wind investors can take the plunge. In short, as Carlowman alluded to, let the market pick the winner (it's their money on the line) rather than the govt.

GreenIsGood

Whoever these crooked Green fanatics are working for, it is certainly not the people of Ireland.

Ryan's fascistic fantasy is to finance 30GW of offshore wind power. The capital cost would be much more than 100Bn of borrowed euros. Foreign corporations who manufacture expensive eco-junk would make massive profits courtesy of Irish consumers and taxpayers.

This is business-as-usual for the Greens. Use of the Irish people as debt slaves in order to enrich their corporate friends is their central raison d'etre.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies