• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Can anyone reccomend a good concise Irish history book

terence

I have long nights ahead of me with the winter nights, husband working late until christmas. I would really love to read a good concise history book on Ireland from about 15th century on. Or a series of books. One that I can request from my library. I have been picking different books on various subjects such as fenians, civil war and Ireland during the tudor years. What I find is that you have to go through many badly written books before you get one good one and then through many more bad ones to get to another good one. I get half an hour in the library.

I know its a fairly broad range but I want something easy to read but interesting and not written like it was for school. And more from a nationalist point of view.

Monkey-Magic

There's a book called "Ireland 1912-1985" by JJ Lee. I found it quite useful when I was in college.

Hillmanhunter1

Roy Foster's "Modern Ireland 1600-1972" is superb. I'd also agree that Joe Lee's book is essential reading.

terence

thanks lads, going into library on thursday, you can order a book if they don't have it and they will get it in for you for free. Need the authors aswell so I see you gave me that also. Appreciate it.

Fantasia...if your being funny that fine otherwise naff off

Sam Lord

Ireland Her Own: an outline history of the Irish struggle for independence and freedom

By T.A. Jackson

Is the book you are looking for.

Ireland Her Own

It is the best concise account of the country's history.

Interista

Roy Foster's "Modern Ireland 1600-1972" is superb.
Foster's book has indeed been widely praised, but the OP said she wanted a book with a 'nationalist' slant. I don't think Foster's tome would be in this category!

sumlulu

John A Murphy's "Ireland in the twentieth century" gives a very good, consice overview of Irish politics up to 1975.

Sam Lord

Foster's book has indeed been widely praised, but the OP said she wanted a book with a 'nationalist' slant. I don't think Foster's tome would be in this category!
No, not at all. Famine as case of mass anorexia school of Irish history.

If you want something from the earliest times, go for Lydon's "The Making of Ireland". Very good and especially on the medieval period which Lydon spealisies in.

Fab

On the Modern era I know of none that surpasses "Ireland since the Famine" by F.S.L Lyons. I would not recommend Foster!

controller

On the Modern era I know of none that surpasses "Ireland since the Famine" by F.S.L Lyons. I would not recommend Foster!

That was our Irish history book for the Leaving Cert many moons ago. Not concise, very detailed but a great book. I still have a copy at home

terence

Thanks everyone. Good suggestions here. I did actually read the first suggestion and found it to be good alright.

Schomberg

Tom Garvin - Preventing the Future is a good insight into Irelands economic history since independence. Surprisingly easy to read for such a heavy subject. Otherwise Fosters book as others mentioned is very recommended!

Halo

Thanks everyone. Good suggestions here. I did actually read the first suggestion and found it to be good alright.
The Cause of Ireland: From the United Irishmen to Partition by liz curtis.

If you are wanting a post revisionist nationalist book free from the imperialists slant that deals with modern irish history then the above is your book.

Last edited:

Fraxinus

I have long nights ahead of me with the winter nights, husband working late until christmas. I would really love to read a good concise history book on Ireland from about 15th century on. Or a series of books. One that I can request from my library. I have been picking different books on various subjects such as fenians, civil war and Ireland during the tudor years. What I find is that you have to go through many badly written books before you get one good one and then through many more bad ones to get to another good one. I get half an hour in the library.

I know its a fairly broad range but I want something easy to read but interesting and not written like it was for school. And more from a nationalist point of view.
The peoples of Ireland: from ... - Google Books

Its got nearly everthing but it's not too heavy.

Abacus

If you would like to read a clever and very entertaining longish book of 600+ pages that holds the interest right to the end and with fantastic footnotes for sources, you will not do better than Declan Kiberd's :
'Inventing Ireland'. Great stuff.