• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Can bicycles get Ireland out of the crisis?

Cruimh

Thought that was too good to be true..... always thought that abut Cats.;) (trying out Canadian Accent today)
It isn't widely known - but the reason the Roman legions never came was because, unfortunately, their spies and scouts landed in Kilkenny - and they thought - feck this, what would we want here? Would have been a different story of they had landed in Cork.

S

simeongrimes

I live within five miles of work and I have taken to cycling in and out as often as possible. The physical and mental health benefits are extraordinary. I enjoy it immensely and would urge anyone who can to make the switch.

blokesbloke

Again, this is really funny stuff.

It's as if there was a proposal to replace Ipads with paper notebooks, and somebody objects by saying "But Ireland doesn't manufacture paper notebooks!". The point is reducing unnecessary spending which makes life worse for others.
I think you're reading too much into it, Mr/Ms Sensitive.

I just wondered if Ireland happened to have any bicycle manufacturers, because if it did, your proposal would be even better for the local economy.

It was actually a genuine question.

IbrahaimMohamad

A City Dweller tax could be feasiable.

If people could bear more taxation by cutting living and transportation costs by cycling it should be looked at by Government.

With electric bikes we could eliminate public transport subsidies in cities and make savings there too.

Did some one say there 9,000,000 bicycles in Bejing?

Katie Melua - Nine Million Bicycles - YouTube

southwestkerry

If any one ever saw me on my bike in my cycle shorts then would soon ban the whole shebang. petunia Cars are so much more discreet... especially Jags and Merc's.
swk

Last edited:

IbrahaimMohamad

If any one ever saw me on my bike in my cycle shorts then would soon bank the whole shebang. petunia Cars are so much more discreet... especially Jags and Merc's.
swk
How do you rate the A8? or the XC90?

GDPR

Give me strength
Cycling can give that to you, especially the thighs. And your aerobic capacity will increase greatly, even if you cycle on fairly flat terrain. Get rid of any unwanted flab too.

Partizan

I would suggest that bicycles have the potential to save Ireland from its mess, or at least contribute heavily to getting through this crisis.

For countries like France, Germany and Italy, car-dependency is a swings-and-roundabouts issue. On the con side, they are at the mercy of the vagaries of the oil markets, and are currently suffering as all the new oil finds are in low-volume, high-cost shale-oil pockets, and this suffering will continue until someone finds a new Saudi Arabia of easy-to-extract, high-quality, high-volume oil.

On the pro side, they have an important automobile industry, so any attempt to switch to cycling has the potential to undermine that industry.

But for Ireland, it's all con, economically. Every car we import is a massive flow of funds out of the country. Every car guzzles down ever-more-expensive foreign oil. For some, it's a totally necessary expense.

But for many, it's a luxury that they permit themselves, despite much better options being available. We all know very fat people who work five miles away from their homes, but drive there alone in their cars every day, befouling the air, damaging the roads, blocking the streets. They sit in traffic, wasting their time (which is arguably none of my business), and wasting the time of other road users (which is definitely my business).

Let's do a quick calculation of how much Ireland (the economy as a whole, not the government) would save in imported fuel and if every worker who lives fewer than 5 miles from their workplace were to cycle to work rather than drive.

The main areas of savings would be fuel consumption, need to replace cars (the milage will go down, therefore there'd be no need to replace a car every 5 years) and time lost to sitting in traffic jams (people can earn more money by taking on overtime, or businesses can require their workers to do extra hours, which makes them more profitable and thus pay more taxes to lower our deficit.) Business deliveries will become quicker thanks to a reduction in traffic jams, which will make our economy more dynamic.

I strongly sense that the most fanatical austerians will suddenly come over all Krugman-esque when this proposal to reduce our deficit without spending anything comes up for discussion.
Next you will be suggesting that commuters forsake their cars on the clogged up motorways and cycle from Navan to Dublin instead. The fact is, Zanu FF squandered the boom when they failed to rebuild and re-open many of our rail lines that needed investment and re-opening. Mawmouth Cullen instead flittered away the cash on e voting machines and fancy new trains which need track and drivers to run.

Bicycles only work in close city confines usually within a 5km radius. They are not the panacea for our piss poor public transport.

GDPR

You know it's funny to me...

The OP's sig asks the question "do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?"
It's particularly interesting when every thread he starts is about austerity. Well, has the OP ever asked himself why there is a so much debt to begin with? Give me strength.
If I have some strength to give you, how much will you pay me for it?

Ribeye

Cycling can give that to you, especially the thighs. And your aerobic capacity will increase greatly, even if you cycle on fairly flat terrain. Get rid of any unwanted flab too.
yes yes, very clever cleverclogs :D

IbrahaimMohamad

Next you will be suggesting that commuters forsake their cars on the clogged up motorways and cycle from Navan to Dublin instead. The fact is, Zanu FF squandered the boom when they failed to rebuild and re-open many of our rail lines that needed investment and re-opening. Mawmouth Cullen instead flittered away the cash on e voting machines and fancy new trains which need track and drivers to run.

Bicycles only work in close city confines usually within a 5km radius. They are not the panacea for our piss poor public transport.
What is so great about rails? Rail systems are very limiting!

GM's Super-Smart Pod Vehicle Looks at Future Transportation : TreeHugger

Radix

Feargach, if everyone dusted down their high nellies and left their cars at home, what would be the logical consequences of this?

Overnight people certainly would have more money in their pockets as a consequence of not having to buy highly taxed motor fuel. The effect of this would be that the Government straight away loses a significant source of income which would have to be found elsewhere.

Cue bicycle tax, or some other way of relieving people of the money they ingeniously withhold from the Gubberment as it struggles to pay unemployment benefit to all the former employees of filling stations and the motor industry in general you would swiftly place on the dole with your scheme.

Think about it for a moment.

No more demand for new cars, no need for motor tax any more, no need for tyres, fuel, oil, insurance, maintenance, VRTs; the industry would die overnight. And as Blokes pointed out, we don't even have an indigenous bicycle manufacturing industry which might recoup something from your scheme.

Have you really thought this out?

feargach

Feargach, if everyone dusted down their high nellies and left their cars at home, what would be the logical consequences of this?

Overnight people certainly would have more money in their pockets as a consequence of not having to buy highly taxed motor fuel. The effect of this would be that the Government straight away loses a significant source of income which would have to be found elsewhere.

Cue bicycle tax, or some other way of relieving people of the money they ingeniously withhold from the Gubberment as it struggles to pay unemployment benefit to all the former employees of filling stations and the motor industry in general you would swiftly place on the dole with your scheme.
Wow. I was just thinking that the people who were no longer buying as much fuel would instead be buying goods and services with the money, which would arrive in government coffers as VAT. Meaning no meaningful loss to the government, and no need to faff about creating new taxes. The present VAT laws will be entirely sufficient, I'd have thought.

Because I, you know, thought it out.

No more demand for new cars, no need for motor tax any more, no need for tyres, fuel, oil, insurance, maintenance, VRTs; the industry would die overnight. And as Blokes pointed out, we don't even have an indigenous bicycle manufacturing industry which might recoup something from your scheme.

Have you really thought this out?
We don't need any indigenous bicycle manufacturing industry to attain immediate economic benefits from this.

Import a normal car = €13,000 leaves the country.
Import a normal bike = €300 leaves the country.

Net benefit of change = €12,700 per vehicle affected.

So yes, I've thought it out rather a lot more than you think.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies