• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Can demographics deliver a United Ireland?

vinoboy

No definitely not but the reality is our political landscape has been defined and shaped by this enormous elephant in the room.
It killed the natural markets for huge tracts of our country. Donegal cut off from Derry?
It allowed the politics of patriotism hide the corruption
It allowed the Catholic church dominate and turn us into a veritable theocracy for years
It prevented us from joining the second world war as an allied nation which would have been our natural position thus excluding us from the Marshall plan
It scared of foreign investment for years
It gave us a massive inferiority complex that is only being lifted in the past few years.

I'm not saying it was the be all and end all but it really didn't help.
On reflection ...........................if ROI left the EU and a federal system of government for GB and Ireland existed with London only holding the responsibility for national defence ,as much power as possible on key issues that matter to people pushed down to a local level (say local council) -would ROI citizens be interested in that type of relationship .
Or has being your own country now so ingrained that a different style of government/relationships between close neighbours is impossible.
On the surface I see little difference between most of the parties in both jurisdictions , a cycle of centre right /centre left etc etc mixed up with good old parochialism.
When you actually discuss with people from Birmingham /Sligo/Antrim - most all agree on what they want from life and respect each other .
Ian Paisley's friend and mentor the great Dessie Boal suggested this federal solution in the early 70's and he was ahead of his time on many matters as well as being fine legal brain .

Glaucon

On reflection ...........................if ROI left the EU and a federal system of government for GB and Ireland existed with London only holding the responsibility for national defence ,as much power as possible on key issues that matter to people pushed down to a local level (say local council) -would ROI citizens be interested in that type of relationship .
Or has being your own country now so ingrained that a different style of government/relationships between close neighbours is impossible.
On the surface I see little difference between most of the parties in both jurisdictions , a cycle of centre right /centre left etc etc mixed up with good old parochialism.
When you actually discuss with people from Birmingham /Sligo/Antrim - most all agree on what they want from life and respect each other .
Ian Paisley's friend and mentor the great Dessie Boal suggested this federal solution in the early 70's and he was ahead of his time on many matters as well as being fine legal brain .
Would you accept a united Ireland in that scenario?

forest

I know its a different situation but a thought struck me earlier when watching the vote from scotland
The majority of MSPs support independence but this isnt reflected in the general election

Could the same be true for NI
Even if 50% was nationalist this does not mean Northern irish would vote yes for unification or independence

Mickeymac

Interesting read and well worth reading all the way through............

[url=http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/ben

An interesting link indeed even though it is quite compatible to which I have read these past few years in non-unionist publications, pity though about the fact the false statelet is so polarised and if not, would have ensured Irish unity many years ago as political unionism is far removed from the interests of their people at large..........their support for Brexit to mention only one.

Mickeymac

I know its a different situation but a thought struck me earlier when watching the vote from scotland
The majority of MSPs support independence but this isnt reflected in the general election

Could the same be true for NI
Even if 50% was nationalist this does not mean Northern irish would vote yes for unification or independence

Fair comments but very difficult to compare the sick counties to any other regions.

im axeled

well that davis bloke who is in charge of brexit claims that if n.i. join up with the rep then they can join the eu, the scots have no such choice

im axeled

The only thing we ignored was the churches mistreatment of vulnerable people. It's a shameful stain on our history.
we did not realise the extent of it, with help from the law and the state, we were not allowed to peer under that particular carpet, nor was that carpet ever admitted to exist

blinding

well that davis bloke who is in charge of brexit claims that if n.i. join up with the rep then they can join the eu, the scots have no such choice
If we are not careful there will a new invasion from the British mainland.................................... ( The Die-Hard remainers ) David Davis may have unleashed the Remainers on Ireland.........

im axeled

Worse than that. Eire people have shown themselves willing to concede privileges to the Prods in return for Prod agreement for a united Ireland. The people of Eire are willing to betray the victims of Prod tyranny in order to advance Eire's territorial ambitions.
the dublin branch of the tory party perhaps, aside of them the rest would not betray them

Mickeymac

If we are not careful there will a new invasion from the British mainland.................................... ( The Die-Hard remainers ) David Davis may have unleashed the Remainers on Ireland.........

No doubt many Brits will seek out the new job prospects in their closest EU neighbours Towns and Cities.

RodShaft

No doubt many Brits will seek out the new job prospects in their closest EU neighbours Towns and Cities.
They will prrsumably need work permits to work here. In jobs where no EU citizen is availabke and able to do it.

Ardillaun

I would hope there would be more to it than a simple head count. The ideal scenario is a friendly merger between viable entities: like-minded, prosperous and peaceful nations. When you read some of the stuff here, you'd have to wonder how harmonious things could be in a near future UI.

GDPR

I would hope there would be more to it than a simple head count. The ideal scenario is a friendly merger between viable entities: like-minded, prosperous and peaceful nations. When you read some of the stuff here, you'd have to wonder how harmonious things could be in a near future UI.
Well you are reading the weird front here! I would base nothing on Piesters dragging up murders from the Troubles and failing even to spell the victims name correctly. That's just trolling. I doubt they get out of the house much.

A better insight might be afforded by a little story I have about the SSM Referendum in the South. I happened to find myself in a mixed farming pub while UTV was running a series of little Vox Pops on the "mood in the Republic." So a young Northern gal reporter headed down to Dublin, chatted up the usual jackeens and an air of indifference descended on the farmers in this pub, watching the big screen.

Then a lad went to some culchie fastness and started wandering round cattle yards and talking to farmers.

Immediately, attention was riveted on the telly, as the farmers remarked "See yon boy? What is he doing for silage?" "Thems fine steer." "Would you say he had a hedgerow grant? Tis pretty bare- looking? Would he not have the set-aside"?

vinoboy

I like to teach the world to sing and live in perfect harmony ,get real .

vinoboy

Well you are reading the weird front here! I would base nothing on Piesters dragging up murders from the Troubles and failing even to spell the victims name correctly. That's just trolling. I doubt they get out of the house much.

A better insight might be afforded by a little story I have about the SSM Referendum in the South. I happened to find myself in a mixed farming pub while UTV was running a series of little Vox Pops on the "mood in the Republic." So a young Northern gal reporter headed down to Dublin, chatted up the usual jackeens and an air of indifference descended on the farmers in this pub, watching the big screen.

Then a lad went to some culchie fastness and started wandering round cattle yards and talking to farmers.

Immediately, attention was riveted on the telly, as the farmers remarked "See yon boy? What is he doing for silage?" "Thems fine steer." "Would you say he had a hedgerow grant? Tis pretty bare- looking? Would he not have the set-aside"?
What tripe is this from Ego ?

vinoboy

You are very welcome to them,their pseudo airs and graces will give you the dry boak.:D