Can Fianna Fáil become a 40% plus party again?

The Rahenyite

From 1932 to 2011, barring the two 1990s elections where they won 39% of the vote, Fianna Fáil was a 40% plus party in general elections even hitting over 50% on two occasions in 1938 and 1977. Fianna Fáil's large support owed to the party's centrist 'catch all' outlook as well as a well drilled national organisation. Since 2008 and the economic crash that happened that year and the subsequent fallout culminating with the 2010 bailout Fianna Fáil hasn't hit 40% in opinion polling or elections with 2011 seeing them hit rock bottom of 17.5% and then a slight recovery in 2016 of 24.3%. Earlier this year FF did hit 33% in February tho have fallen back to the mid to high 20s. Will the party ever return to being a 40% plus party? There were many factors behind the party falling below 40% and further

-The economic crash of 2008 and the subsequent fallout culminating with the embarrassment of the 2010 bailout which pushed the party further down from mid to high 20s to high teens.

-The political system becoming more diverse than 30 or 40 years ago with parties such as Sinn Féin, Green Party, Solidarty, Social Democrats and a vast swot of independents some of whom are of the Fianna Fáil genepool.

-The emergence of Sinn Féin as a serious party taking away Fianna Fáil's centre left and republican vote.

-Battling with Fine Gael for a reduced centre ground

-A declining national organisation during the party's tenure in government from 1997-2011

1 election cycle was always a big ask for FF to return to anywhere near the 40s with how bad FF did in 2011 and it may take until the 2020s for the party to get back into the 40s tho maybe hitting the 40s is not possible for any party anymore with the diverse range of parties and the growing public discontent with politics and the traditional political parties in general. We may even be following the European norm where the major party only wins about 30% of the vote.

blokesbloke

Well you left FG - would you ever vote FF now?

General Urko

The problem with The Eff Eff fux is they really suit the Paddy's Psyche - redneck rogues always on the double think with no real concept of society!

They are much more easily forgiven than fellow Troika Búds, Blueshirt or Red Blueshirt Fooking Scum!

No, it's far from safe to remove those garlands from around our knecks, yet!:mad:

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
I hope not. They're a party of sliveens, strokers and parish pumpers.

EUrJokingMeRight

Basically FG and FF are responsible for the ************************hole that is the Irish economy, the High taxation rate, motor tax, property tax, etc etc.

What will they have in store for you next (apart from more golden pensions for them????)

Don't open your wallet or purse again for these wastrels, Vote for the FTFC party.

The F*** Those F***ing Cnunts party.

Don't be a FFFG cuck all of your life.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
FG and FF should amalgamate. There is no reason, other than civil war bullsh1t that they don't.

razorblade

Mainstream parties across Europe are losing their traditional support base more and more are voting for alternatives who reflect their views more than the mainstream the recent German GE being a case in point, the general population have been let down by the mainstream political party and are turning to the populist alternatives.

blokesbloke

FF and FG remain the largest two parties in Ireland.

If they are truly that bad then every other party in the state needs to ask why more Irish people vote for them than every other party put together.

The other parties are clearly perceived as being even worse.

The Rahenyite

Well you left FG - would you ever vote FF now?
Well they're appealing to me with their anti-abortion stance but I don't know if I could vote for them with their history, not just the Ahern-Cowen years but the Haughey era, 1977 and De Valera before that. At the moment I don't know if I can vote for any party because they've either screwed things up in government, FG and FF, or support abortion, Sinn Féin, Labour, Green Party and Social Democrats while the independents are self-interested parish pump ragbags. I don't dare think of giving Solidarity or the whatever they'll be called next a vote. I'll see who says what in the next general election campaign tho campaigns promises are often broken.

blokesbloke

FG and FF should amalgamate. There is no reason, other than civil war bullsh1t that they don't.
The only reason to do so would be to help the other parties who constantly call for it.

They never will I am afraid.

So the others will have to come up with some actual reasons for Irish voters to vote for them instead of just hoping FF and FG will make life easier for them.

General Urko

I hope not. They're a party of sliveens, strokers and parish pumpers.
So are the blueshirts, just a more refined type of redkneck fooking nack!

EUrJokingMeRight

Mainstream parties across Europe are losing their traditional support base more and more are voting for alternatives who reflect their views more than the mainstream the recent German GE being a case in point, the general population have been let down by the mainstream political party and are turning to the populist alternatives.
Mainstream offers nothing.

It's a self serving circle jerk, just like Fianna Fail and Fine 'can we fail as well' Gael!

People who support FFFG are just clueless spazoids. Cant throw any blame in their direction really as they're really just being taken for a ride by shifty cnunts who know how their simple minds work.

Simple minds also get votes and its a dirty game, politics.

The Rahenyite

If they are truly that bad then every other party in the state needs to ask why more Irish people vote for them than every other party put together.

The combined FF/FG vote has increased since the low of late 2014 however I doubt it will return the highs of 80% plus experienced in a few general elections, and as recent as November 1982, when there were fewer political parties.

mulligan

If Fianna Fail actually stand up for the pro Life side in referendum I will consider a vote for them. However if they cower away like they did in the gay marriage referendum, then no chance. I don't like M Martin. But the alternatives are horrific and there are too many independents.

mulligan

Mainstream offers nothing.

It's a self serving circle jerk, just like Fianna Fail and Fine 'can we fail as well' Gael!

People who support FFFG are just clueless spazoids. Cant throw any blame in their direction really as they're really just being taken for a ride by shifty cnunts who know how their simple minds work.

Simple minds also get votes and its a dirty game, politics.
Sinn Fein/Labour are no different

devoutcapitalist

FF won't become a 40%+ party again but don't be surprised if they get in the low 30's either in the next election or the following election.

bokuden

The media, bribery and family connections have a lot to do with it.

bokuden

The only reason to do so would be to help the other parties who constantly call for it.

They never will I am afraid.

So the others will have to come up with some actual reasons for Irish voters to vote for them instead of just hoping FF and FG will make life easier for them.
Actually, the electorate want them to amalgamate. FF especially are riding roughshod over voters' wishes after the last election. They got elected based on lies (rescind the water charges) and hatred of FG, and then they just shafted their electorate, but it's FF, so no surprises there.

devoutcapitalist

Actually, the electorate want them to amalgamate. FF especially are riding roughshod over voters' wishes after the last election. They got elected based on lies (rescind the water charges) and hatred of FG, and then they just shafted their electorate, but it's FF, so no surprises there.
Currently in the polls both FG and FF are running ahead of their respective results in 2016.

New Threads

Most Replies