Can Labour’s Joan Burton do some service to the Republic & The Labour Party

Michael Moloney

Joan Burton’s in her review of Fintan O Toole’s book Enough is Enough in The Irish Times, Nov 6th opinions on our state of affairs that “This was more than a financial collapse, there was also a Fundamental collapse in the capacity of the political system to act as the ‘Government of the people, by the people for the people.’…further on stating that the book focuses on Ireland’s political culture and institutions and their manifest failure to deliver and sustain a genuine republic.

What she says is beyond dispute but unless Joan and the Labour Party are going to be the drivers of reform as part of the next administration I would wager that FF will regain power after 5 to 7 years with the same type of punter been elected to Dail Eireann as we have now.

The vast majority of the members of the Oireachtas across the divide have more in common with one another than with the average punter on the street and when the new Dail is elected we will continue to have Parish Pump Politicians in Leinster House albeit a lot less from FF and its gene pool with most of the slack been taken up from Labour and FG Councillors, having done their apprenticeship in Council Chambers across the country.

The Labour Party’s success at the next election will be nothing more than a Spring Tide that will be lost in the midst of time if Labour does not push to radically alter the way The Oireachtas is elected and how it operates and for whom.

Michael Moloney

TradCat

I agree. If the next government don't drive political reform they will be handing the country back to FF within a decade. You can't out-gombeen FF. You have to change the game.

B

birthday

I have every confidence that the new Labour candidates being fielded (e.g McBrearty in Donegal) will finally put an end to the parish pump politics that we all know so well!

brughahaha

Hmmm Joan Burton reviews Fintan O Toole in the Irish Times .....any mention of Golden circles?:rolleyes:

Hewson

Labour won't change the system radically because Labour is part of the system, and thus part of the problem. I was listening to Joan Burton on Pat Kenny's programme earlier. Kenny asked her what's the first thing she'd do on her first day as finance minister after the election, assuming Labour are the biggest party. She spent the next five minutes waffling in her usual breathless windbag way, talking about the educated workforce, selling ourselves abroad, R&D and on and on. Utter drivel. I'll probably vote Labour in the GE but pray to God that this women is kept out of Finance. She can talk, but says nothing of substance, can attack the Government but never scores a hit.

Unless the way we run our administrative system in Ireland is torn down and rebuilt it's only a matter of time before we have a Government as incompetent and good for nothing as the crowd of chimps running the zoo at the moment. We've reached a point where this country is so badly governed that some members of the current administration, including higher civil servants, should stand trial for sedition.

That's how bad it is. Tinkering with the strings that hold the whole sorry bundle together is pointless. We need to undergo a metamorphosis of epic proportions, and that has to be instigated from outside the political arena.

cricket

I have every confidence that the new Labour candidates being fielded (e.g McBrearty in Donegal) will finally put an end to the parish pump politics that we all know so well!
I warned months ago here about the hoovering of candidates by Gilmore. McBrearty isn't the only one we should be wary of.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I presume the character limit prevented you from completing the proper title, so "Can Labour’s Joan Burton do some service to the Republic & The Labour Party and leave politics to people who actually have an idea of what needs to be done"

All I can say is "hopefully".

wexfordman

Yep,

Heard Brearty on the campaign trail on the radio sorting out peoples pot holes and such like!! Exactly the sort of person we need in the dail now to sort out our economic woes eh!! I mean sorting out peoples pot holes is a sure sign of how suitable you are for playing your part in the direction of a nation is int it!!

Sorting out someones potholes and getting ring roads for your local town!!

dent

It is at least uplifting to hear that Joan Burton is in Kilkenny for the Kilkenomics, hopefully she will get to listen to many of the top international economists that are appearing. It would be nice to think that many other politicians will be there too.

Desperate Dan

Joan Burton should do the people of Ireland a big favor and Pack HER Bags. Please go to some other country and annoy them.

devnull

I warned months ago here about the hoovering of candidates by Gilmore. McBrearty isn't the only one we should be wary of.
It's a choice between doing this sort of thing or conceding possibly winnable seats.
The Labour leadership are focused exclusively on the once-in-a-century opportunity that is the next GE and will worry about the trade-offs afterwards.

Gilmore will make Labour one of the big-2 in Irish politics and/or destroy it.
Interesting times.

Murph

You mean she is Kilkenny joining all the other comedians.

Seriously though, Labour do face a really once in a century chance to change history in the coming election.

I just hope Gilmore doesnt do a Dev on it, and once in power says the cause of Labour must wait. Left and Right politics is back on the agenda and was never more relevant than now -Is he up to the job?

Skyrocket

Whatever "service" Burton could do for Ireland is the type of service we can do without

redhead101

Joan Burton, like the rest of the Labour party, arent useful to anyone but the vested interests that fund them via tax payers money.

If you're saying that Labour are only useful to taxpyers, I'll go along with that.

Last edited:

Limestone

I remember when Lenihan was going into hospital. It appeared that there might be something more serious wrong than was being admitted to. Richard Bruton wished him the best and left it at that. Joan wished him luck but couldn't resist having a typical swipe. Her opposition politics are always the same - swipe and sneer - with no strong alternative ideas or policies to help this country. What service has she provided us with to date? Little or none.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies