Can Orangeism be integrated into a United Ireland?

Dame_Enda

Is it possible for Orangeism to accommodate itself to a United Ireland after a yes vote to reunification? Is it possible for the Dublin govt to frind a way to accommodate Orangeism in a United Ireland? Or would Orangeism just dissolve and assimilate into an Irish identity just as many Southern Unionists did after partition?

I have some ideas for how ex Orange people could psychologically cope with a United Ireland including:

- King Billy personally disagreed with religious persecution, but the Ascendancy Parliament in Dublin passed the Penal Laws. So religious equality is compatible with celebrating King Billy.

- King Billy may have been bisexual with Willem Bentinck (later Earl of Portland) and Arnold Joost van Keppel (later Earl of Abermarle), so gay marriage in a UI is not incompatible with celebrating King Billy.

- If Ireland rejoined the Commonwealth, Orangemen could replace loyalty to the UK with symbolic loyalty to the Queen as Head of the Commonwealth, though it should come second to loyalty to the Irish State.

hollandia

Simples. Replace Edenderry with Rossnowlagh. Job done.

Betson

Is it possible for Orangeism to accommodate itself to a United Ireland after a yes vote to reunification? Is it possible for the Dublin govt to frind a way to accommodate Orangeism in a United Ireland? Or would Orangeism just dissolve and assimilate into an Irish identity just as many Southern Unionists did after partition?

I have some ideas for how ex Orange people could psychologically cope with a United Ireland including:

- King Billy personally disagreed with religious persecution, but the Ascendancy Parliament in Dublin passed the Penal Laws. So religious equality is compatible with celebrating King Billy.

- King Billy may have been bisexual with Willem Bentinck (later Earl of Portland) and Arnold Joost van Keppel (later Earl of Abermarle), so gay marriage in a UI is not incompatible with celebrating King Billy.

- If Ireland rejoined the Commonwealth, Orangemen could replace loyalty to the UK with symbolic loyalty to the Queen as Head of the Commonwealth, though it should come second to loyalty to the Irish State.
A lot of focus on King Billy in that OP.

And we will not be joining any commonwealth.

Roll_On

Yes, nothing would change other than their membership would continue to shrink, perhaps at a faster pace, and their average age would continue to get higher, again perhaps at a faster rate. Should Ireland join the commonwealth? no.

AhNowStop

When the border poll leads to the inevitable UI, 99% of nationalists will not give one feck what the crackpots in the OO do with their summers.... they can march til they drop, which is exactly what they will do for a few years but when they realise its not annoying anyone anymore they will lose interest and finally become decent sensible respectable human beings ...

its all good :?

mac tíre

The Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland? Can it be integrated in to a UI?
Hmmmm.

Travis Bickle

I don't think the scaremongering works both ways. The DUP and the Orange order are all about losing their culture should the country become whole politically.
I don't think anyone cares enough about them for them to be legitimately worried. Personally I think they can carry on marching in their own areas. I say that because as it's politically charged and the troubles, I don't think they should be allowed march in modern areas that believe in science and equal rights for gays and the like.
We have protestants down south and people from all over the world.
They cannot be integrated as that's not their thing, but they can continue as is for the most part.

With some minor adjustments, no bother. Good for tourism too.
I would love to hear the conversation when an Orange man explains they fought for a Protestant Dutch King, funded by the Catholic Pope, against the king of the monarchy they now worship because they aren't catholics. They can have little Billy dolls and that :)

GDPR

As things stand I'm for the Union however Orangism is a cancer on Ulster society which needs badly to be cut out.

Dame_Enda

Another important point is that the William of Orange also brought about independence of the judiciary, and parliamentary control of government expenditure and taxation - all of which we take for granted in the 26 counties today. So he wasnt all bad.

PBP voter

The Catholics in the North want their kids to go to Catholic run schools.

Without integration NI will always have problems.

ScoobyDoo

Yes, nothing would change other than their membership would continue to shrink, perhaps at a faster pace, and their average age would continue to get higher, again perhaps at a faster rate. Should Ireland join the commonwealth? no.
Of course Ireland should join the Commonwealth. Would have a chance to win a few medals at the games and the country would feel so good about that.

Talk Back

Another important point is that the William of Orange also brought about independence of the judiciary, and parliamentary control of government expenditure and taxation - all of which we take for granted in the 26 counties today. So he wasnt all bad.
You seem to think Ireland would not have developed like other European countries.

We would have - if we didn't have the parasite England and its spawn in Ireland sucking the life out of us.

Dame_Enda

You seem to think Ireland would not have developed like other European countries.

We would have - if we didn't have the parasite England and its spawn in Ireland sucking the life out of us.
You are very naive if you think Sarsfield and Talbot would have wanted to enfranchise their tenants.

cropbeye

They would live on as eccentric group without political power. Somewhat like the Hindu community in England.

Talk Back

As things stand I'm for the Union however Orangism is a cancer on Ulster society which needs badly to be cut out.
Loyal to a past the real British in Britain have left behind.

Someone should write a poem about that :lol:

[video=youtube;iL9Ij7tc3EU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL9Ij7tc3EU[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies