• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.




Can Sinn Fein deliver a united Ireland?

Cloigeann

Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
41
Would it not take them to be a majority in north and south to deliver a practical united Ireland and that seems pretty unlikely
 


BuachaillBeo

Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
66
Dhera, it seemed pretty unlikely that Paisley would've went into gov with SF in the first place not so long ago.... who knows where unionism and northern politics might go in time to come.
 

Halo

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 23, 2007
Messages
778
Cloigeann said:
Would it not take them to be a majority in north and south to deliver a practical united Ireland and that seems pretty unlikely
The answer is no. Unionist will not be persuaded to nationalists under British rule, parnell redmond all failed on this issue. You think with Mi5 covertly and sinisterly controlling everything up there at the moment that this will change:although theres always Gerrys 'equality agenda'

Demographics are slightly favourable towards catholics and they could have a slight majority by 2023.
This however will not change much from this point going on recent birthrates and trends. nationalist are migrating more than unionists at the moment so this could cancel any numerical gains made by the ball bag.

British governemnt poilcy in Ireloand is too stay in it. Its methods of staying there are quite clear, keep protestants unionists and get as many catholics to support the union as they can.

Recent polls show northern catholics are only 60%in favour of unification, there policy is working well and they have people portraying themselves as republicans like PSF telling their own people that the state, its institutions are legitimate.

They aint investing money in a Mi5 headquarters for the free state to move in and around 2016. Anybody that believes this nonsense is seriously deluded
 

rockofcashel

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
8,035
Website
www.sinnfein.ie
No .. SF can be a part of the debate.. but a lot more political and community organisations will also have to be engaged
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
643
No one can 'deliver' a UI except the people.
 

Jozer

Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
57
They have certainly delivered a United Kingdom LOL
 

Halo

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 23, 2007
Messages
778
rockofcashel said:
No .. SF can be a part of the debate.. but a lot more political and community organisations will also have to be engaged
So your planning on teaming up with great republican and nationalist parties like FF, SDLP and FG.......

It doesnt matter how many parties you have to support your ideas, a broad front with most Ireland singing from the same hynmsheet will not create a UI.
 

rockofcashel

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
8,035
Website
www.sinnfein.ie
mr_anderson said:
NO.

A UI will come in spite of, and not because of, SF.
What a stupid comment ..

You think the Unionist community will wake up some morning and go.. oh.. lets join a United Ireland, just to annoy SF

really, really, stupid
 

Halo

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 23, 2007
Messages
778
DOD said:
No one can 'deliver' a UI except the people.
Democarcy has been unsurped by a foreign government though and has been for over 800years.
 

rockofcashel

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
8,035
Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Halo said:
rockofcashel said:
No .. SF can be a part of the debate.. but a lot more political and community organisations will also have to be engaged
So your planning on teaming up with great republican and nationalist parties like FF, SDLP and FG.......

It doesnt matter how many parties you have to support your ideas, a broad front with most Ireland singing from the same hynmsheet will not create a UI.
Apart from those parties mentioned, it will be more important to engage civic society both sides of the border
 

Halo

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 23, 2007
Messages
778
rockofcashel said:
Halo said:
rockofcashel said:
No .. SF can be a part of the debate.. but a lot more political and community organisations will also have to be engaged
So your planning on teaming up with great republican and nationalist parties like FF, SDLP and FG.......

It doesnt matter how many parties you have to support your ideas, a broad front with most Ireland singing from the same hynmsheet will not create a UI.
Apart from those parties mentioned, it will be more important to engage civic society both sides of the border
Believe me you dont have to bother, most people in Ireland if they had the choice would favour a UI.
This is just fancy words from Gerry and co to make it look like you have a strategy.
 

rockofcashel

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
8,035
Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Halo said:
rockofcashel said:
Halo said:
rockofcashel said:
No .. SF can be a part of the debate.. but a lot more political and community organisations will also have to be engaged
So your planning on teaming up with great republican and nationalist parties like FF, SDLP and FG.......

It doesnt matter how many parties you have to support your ideas, a broad front with most Ireland singing from the same hynmsheet will not create a UI.
Apart from those parties mentioned, it will be more important to engage civic society both sides of the border
Believe me you dont have to bother, most people in Ireland if they had the choice would favour a UI.
This is just fancy words from Gerry and co to make it look like you have a strategy.
Forget about what Gerry says.. I'm not making his case for him

I also agree that a majority on the island would favour a United Ireland.. but it isn't discussed i.e. the practicalities of how it would work. That is the debate that needs to be started
 

White Horse

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
7,065
Economics will determine whether there is a united Ireland. Sinn Fein's brave step into exclusive democratic politics ensures that they will not be a barrier.
 

rockofcashel

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
8,035
Website
www.sinnfein.ie
economics will be a massive consideration, no doubt. Cultural changes will however also be necessary
 

Halo

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 23, 2007
Messages
778
White Horse said:
Economics will determine whether there is a united Ireland. Sinn Fein's brave step into exclusive democratic politics ensures that they will not be a barrier.
They certainly will. 80% of catholics will vote along economic lines. Have you seen the state of the free states health system, honestly this guy from Poland was telling me that the Polish system is 5 times better and that our own is a disgrace. I live on the armagh/monaghan border and my two nearest hospitals are monaghan general and daisy hill newry;believe me, monaghan is 3rd world compared to Newry.
Could you blame some catholics for wanting to remain in the union.

Any yes, unionists/protestants will always vote in favour of the status quo for many reasons and conditions.
 

White Horse

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
7,065
rockofcashel said:
economics will be a massive consideration, no doubt. Cultural changes will however also be necessary
I really think cultural changes that will eventually follow economic considerations. It might take a little longer due to the artificial ghettoised mentality that has been created due to the Northern Irish state being in existence for such a long time.
 

Armchair Activist

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2007
Messages
2,068
I don’t believe at this time NI will ever be theoretically/constitutionally united with the south; however I would imagine it to become more and more practically Irish as time goes on due to joint economic, social, environmental ventures and governing. Thus the influence of the North-South boarder becoming diminished.
 

The Collective.

Active member
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Messages
159
A united Ireland can only be delivered by Fine Gael, the only true democratic nationaist republican party.
 

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top