Can social justice be redeemed?

EUrJokingMeRight

It doesn't need to be "redeemed". No one who uses the phrase "social justice warrior" with a straight face deserves to be taken seriously in the first place.
Agreed, they should be referred to in their correct pronoun.

wotsits.

Gin Soaked

You mean give everybody the fruits of those that are working.
I was going to say 'you mean personal responsibility' which is another theme to what you said?

Or, how do you rehabilitate fecklessness.?

Without wanting to sound like a rightwing nut, we need to overcome bad luck, train the feckless and limit chaotic or unrestrained reproduction.

Education is the only thing that addresses all of these.

Windowshopper

Far right lunatics deriding their opponents as social justice warriors in my view is a vindication of those they insult.

Last edited:

statsman

Adoption of the bigger injustices like those mentioned in the OP would probably go a long way towards a resuscitation. The trouble is that the more nuanced and niche causes have become what they currently are perceived to represent.
Who decides what's 'bigger' on the scales of injustice?
Is being discriminated against because of your skin colour or social class 'bigger' than being discriminated against because of your gender or your sexual preferences, for example?

captain obvious

Who decides what's 'bigger' on the scales of injustice?
Is being discriminated against because of your skin colour or social class 'bigger' than being discriminated against because of your gender or your sexual preferences, for example?
I would argue this from something like Maslow's hierarchy of needs. The problem with the recent election in the states was that many of Trump's supporters were grounded in Physiological and Safety needs (income and financial security) whereas much of the left-liberal agenda was Love and Belonging, Esteem and Self-Actualization; luxuries of a class that do not have basic existential concerns.

For a voter whose concerns are dominated by the bottom two needs, they are not really going to concern themselves with the alignment of a politician that might threaten the top three needs.

PC Principle

As a gay mawn I'm greatly appreciate of the progress of social justice in this country when it comes to minority rights. But there is a much bigger battle to be fought and it's an economic one.
Oh look, I'm a "minority". I'm such a victim doncha know.

Get over yourself and your victim olympics.

No one cares.

statsman

I would argue this from something like Maslow's hierarchy of needs. The problem with the recent election in the states was that many of Trump's supporters were grounded in Physiological and Safety needs (income and financial security) whereas much of the left-liberal agenda was Love and Belonging, Esteem and Self-Actualization; luxuries of a class that do not have basic existential concerns.

For a voter whose concerns are dominated by the bottom two needs, they are not really going to concern themselves with the alignment of a politician that might threaten the top three needs.
A fine case for saying that the Shoah wasn't really a big issue.

PC Principle

It doesn't need to be "redeemed". No one who uses the phrase "social justice warrior" with a straight face deserves to be taken seriously in the first place.
A bit like when you call everyone racist that doesn't go along with your lunatic ideology.

You are the poster child of the SJW muppetry on this site anyway.

captain obvious

A fine case for saying that the Shoah wasn't really a big issue.
Ok...dismiss it if you will. But the reality is that for many people existential issues trump those of social justice. Social justice must begin by ensuring that the bottom rungs of the hierarchy exist for all. Otherwise it becomes a vanity project for elites.

GDPR

In my opinion SJWs arent really about social justice - just Cultural Marxism. They tend to be from privileged backgrounds and multiculturalism is more important to them than alleviating economic inequality. Some exceptions,
Oh I definitely agree that they are not about actual social justice; however they are not about Cultural Marxism either. Men such as Theodore Adorno and Georgy Lukacs would have seen today's SJWs are repulsive specimens of Capitalist degeneration.

Cellachán Chaisil

Take their social from them, and they'll soon see the bleedin value of it.
The social will always be there as a safety net.

People will exploit it, but that scenario is still better than leaving the truly deserving without a safety net.

Cellachán Chaisil

In my opinion SJWs arent really about social justice - just Cultural Marxism. They tend to be from privileged backgrounds and multiculturalism is more important to them than alleviating economic inequality. Some exceptions,
From a man who has benefitted from social justice campaigns, you have some cheek.

Cellachán Chaisil

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

Cellachán Chaisil

Part of the problem is people couching political argument in terms like "As a ___________".
Nonsense. I was stating how I benefited personally. One isn't allowed to declare an interest these days?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Nonsense. I was stating how I benefited personally. One isn't allowed to declare an interest these days?
Of course you can. I think you know what I am saying here right? If you're reasoning honestly about facts, the colour of your skin is irrelevant. The religion of your parents is irrelevant. Whether you're gay or straight is irrelevant. Your identity is irrelevant. When talking about reality, its character cannot be predicated on who you happen to be.

Cellachán Chaisil

Of course you can. I think you know what I am saying here right? If you're reasoning honestly about facts, the colour of your skin is irrelevant. The religion of your parents is irrelevant. Whether you're gay or straight is irrelevant. Your identity is irrelevant. When talking about reality, its character cannot be predicated on who you happen to be.
I don't think I could be honest about facts and not declare my own relationship with the advancement of social justice.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom