• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Can Speaker Boehner lead the House to work with Obama or is he a lame duck ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The election of this term's speaker should occur this week (tomorrow if schedule holds), and it looks like Boehner will hold the job. Also given Republican re-districting (some say gerrymandering) is is quite likely the GOP will retain control of the House in the Mid Terms... at the least the Dems should assume a tough battle.

Problem is that it is increasingly obvious that Speaker Boehner does not control his flock. A mere 84 of his GOP cohort voted with him on the temporary fiscal cliff compromise - his Deputy and 150 others to the right voted no.

In a sign today how weak he is, Chris Christie - who is to the left of Boehner and should be with him, excoriated Boehner over a new issue (Sandy relief) and questioned his sincerity/leadership:

Chris Christie and Republicans rage against John Boehner over Hurricane Sandy relief - Telegraph
"There's only one group to blame for the continued suffering of these innocent victims: the House majority and their speaker, John Boehner," Mr Christie said in a broadside against the "disappointing and disgusting" actions of his own party.
The governor said Mr Boehner had failed to return four phone calls and that he had "no reason" to believe any future promises from the Republican leader in Congress.
So can Boehner lead his people anymore - and what implications has this for the governance of the US ?

cYp

Ren84

I have no opinion, but I'l reply just to make you happy. Happy? petunia

drummed

Good man Ren, you kick off the debate. I don't agree with whatever you said there at all.

ruserious

Can we merge this with the other thread?

drummed

Any other thread really. Nobody cares anyway.

harshreality

This thread is grossly offensive to ducks, especially ducks who lost a leg or became lame in Nam!

Ren84

Good man Ren, you kick off the debate. I don't agree with whatever you said there at all.
Swine! Personally I blame the squirrels. Whatever your response is I've already taken the opposite view.

EoinMag

Oi loike speakin oi do.

'orebel

Heh, heh. He said Boehner.

sondagefaux

Yes. No. Maybe. Don't Know. Don't Care.

Circle the answer which most matches your opinion.

livingstone

Lame duck - when one of the leading Governor's of your party and possible nominee in 2016 is attacking you, things are bad (though obviously, anything Christie can do to distinguish himself from an unpopular Congress in advance of his re-election bid will be welcome).

More interesting, I think, will be to see what Cantor does. The other interesting thing would have been if Paul Ryan had voted against the deal - bit having lined up behind Boehner yesterday, it seems less likely that he's setting himself up as a challenger.

Either way, Boehner won't be challenged tomorrow. But his authority will slowly whittle away unless he can assert some control.

drummed

Too lively for me. Can't keep up with all this heavyweight political discourse.

sondagefaux

Lame duck - when one of the leading Governor's of your party and possible nominee in 2016 is attacking you, things are bad (though obviously, anything Christie can do to distinguish himself from an unpopular Congress in advance of his re-election bid will be welcome).

More interesting, I think, will be to see what Cantor does. The other interesting thing would have been if Paul Ryan had voted against the deal - bit having lined up behind Boehner yesterday, it seems less likely that he's setting himself up as a challenger.

Either way, Boehner won't be challenged tomorrow. But his authority will slowly whittle away unless he can assert some control.
Wha?

True Republican

i wouldn't be surprised if boehner faces a primary challenge in 2014 from a tea party loon, i really wish the tea party lunatics would fuk off so that the mainstream republican party can set about the task of trying to make the party electable again so that in 2016 america will have a republican president elected.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies