• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Can the Garda Force be trusted ?

Eoin Coir

Garda loses High Court challenge to dismissal - Independent.ie

Another shocking case where a garda was dismissed following his false statement about inspecting a licensed premises in Drumshambo, Co. Leitrim in order to prosecute. Only crumb of comfort is that garda authorities saw through it and pursued it.
But how many other cases like this went unchecked ?

This comes at a bad time for the garda - they were picketing Dublin Castle yesterday, and in a week that a garda enquiry found that there was no corruption in the squashing of penalty points for certain well known people - because the garda were not paid for so doing !

nakatomi

I really think we have a very clean police force compared to other countries.

I fear with further pay cuts, corruption may become a serious problem.

Prester Jim

Garda loses High Court challenge to dismissal - Independent.ie

Another shocking case where a garda was dismissed following his false statement about inspecting a licensed premises in Drumshambo, Co. Leitrim in order to prosecute. Only crumb of comfort is that garda authorities saw through it and pursued it.
But how many other cases like this went unchecked ?

This comes at a bad time for the garda - they were picketing Dublin Castle yesterday, and in a week that a garda enquiry found that there was no corruption in the squashing of penalty points for certain well known people - because the garda were not paid for so doing !
He did a bad thing and was dismissed. You couldn't trust that Garda and now he isn't a Garda.
Problem solved.
There have been a number of similar cases over the years and they have usually worked out quite well, the new ombudsman is working quite well so I would say in general they have never been more trustworthy. Despite the few bad apples you always get.
However their top brass are answerable to the MoJ. They should be independent of political control IMHO.
Not pleased with their behaviour in Corrib though.

Last edited:

fuque

not on your nelly. scum

eyelight

Corrupt and inept.

People will come along and argue that the police in other countries are far worse.
Maybe so, but that's no reason why we shouldn't expect better.

Eoin Coir

Average garda is on 56,000 all in, but excluding overtime. How then are people on less pay to survive ?

nakatomi

Many have mortgages that they cannot afford because of pay cuts, like a lot of people. Just feel if you are about to loose your house you might be more open to corruption?

Eoin Coir

This case had nothing to do with corruption or bribe taking. It was the opposite - the garda seems to have made a report of breach of the law that did not actually correspond to what happened on the occasion.

Ribeye

I really think we have a very clean police force compared to other countries.

I fear with further pay cuts, corruption may become a serious problem.
Lol:)

controller

Oh jesyus, a Guard gets dismissed and still you're not happy. You're a plonker

Levellers

The problem is not that the Guards do wrong - that will always happen - it's that they cover up the wrongs.

Analyzer

FG poster tackles frontline service workers who are being undermined by FG minister, the bullShatter.

Eoin Coir

So John Kelly was a Frontline worker, Shatter to blame for Kelly trying to frame somebody ?

Hitch 22

There are bound to be a few bad apples in every organisation. The Gardaí are subject to rigorous legal and democratic oversight. Over the years there have been numerous cases of Gardaí who were dismissed for one thing or another so mechanisms to tackle corruption are working as far as I can see. Any Gardaí I have come across are hard working conscientious, idealistic and utterly professional.

This thread was obviously started by a crank with a chip on his/her shoulder.

Ribeye

FG poster tackles frontline service workers who are being undermined by FG minister, the bullShatter.
What service do the Guards provide?

Ribeye

There are bound to be a few bad apples in every organisation. The Gardaí are subject to rigorous legal and democratic oversight. Over the years there have been numerous cases of Gardaí who were dismissed for one thing or another so mechanisms to tackle corruption are working as far as I can see. Any Gardaí I have come across are hard working conscientious, idealistic and utterly professional.

This thread was obviously started by a crank with a chip on his/her shoulder.
Inquiry finds no evidence of corruption on penalty points - Crime & Law News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Wed, Apr 10, 2013

Lol:)

Eoin Coir

I have come to the conclusion that its not a few bad apples in the barrel , but the whole barrel. Look at Donegal, Waterford, Drogheda and many other cases of late, and the sheer incompetence in Sophie De Tuscan murder in Cork where a frame up was contemplated also.

controller

Says the unemployable troll

Hitch 22

Did you read this section?

However, the investigation has found that some gardaí were too “liberal” in complying with requests to terminate points and did not follow procedures when doing so. Some may face disciplinary action.
The individuals involved will most likely be docked pay, demoted or sacked.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies