• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Can the Greens make a comeback?

RahenyFG

Since their complete annihilation in the general election of 2011 things haven't been too good for the Greens. With no seats in the Dáil they are finding it hard to get exposure and this is showing in continuous opinion polling which, if it were an election, the Greens still wouldn't be able to win a Dáil seat. Even the Green Party forum here has gone all quiet since the 2011 election.

They deserved their performance in the last election although I wouldn't put all of the blame for the economic mess entirely on the Greens as they only came in at the end for FF's third straight term in power. They nevertheless kept FF in government passing through draconian measures like the various cruel austerity budgets, the creation of that horrible quango NAMA, Cowen's drinkgate and it was their role in government that saw the introduction of the carbon tax which is killing some businesses. John Gormley, their leader through government, was increasingly arrogant and out of touch doing interviews and TV appearances. I didn't give them a preference in the last election. However come the next election I intend to give them a preference. Green issues are important in this day and age and they are somewhat clean now of the FF manure they attached themselves to for 4 years. They'd probably be up against it in the next election with the lack of profile due to no Dáil seats I already mentioned and as an environment party wanting to regain it's lost seats in a time when it's the economy stupid.

Prester Jim

The greens are not in the DNA of some people the way FF seem to be so they may not get the second chance that FF seem to be getting, but my any measure they carry much less guilt then FF so they deserve a but more of a chance then them.
If they waited a few more years and the economy picks up again then urban, middle class educated types may feel a leisurely piece of folly-voting is in order, who knows.

B

Boggle

Bleat about corruption and then the bicycle shop owner indirectly gives his company free govt money.
If it wasn't so obvious it'd be sad.

RahenyFG

I wonder where the Greens would be now if they didn't go into government with FF in 2007. They definitely would have increased their seats, around the 10-12 seats mark. We might have had an FG/Green government instead of a FG/Labour government. FG/Green government would have been interesting! Public Sector, CPA and Social Welfare wouldn't be getting the shelter they are currently getting.

goosebump

They nevertheless kept FF in government passing through draconian measures like the various cruel austerity budgets, the creation of that horrible quango NAMA, Cowen's drinkgate and it was their role in government that saw the introduction of the carbon tax which is killing some businesses.
That's fu-kking priceless coming from a FG supporter. Have you been living in a cave for the last 2 years?

goosebump

I wonder where the Greens would be now if they didn't go into government with FF in 2007. They definitely would have increased their seats, around the 10-12 seats mark. We might have had an FG/Green government instead of a FG/Labour government. FG/Green government would have been interesting! Public Sector, CPA and Social Welfare wouldn't be getting the shelter they are currently getting.
And then they would have lost all 12 seats in 2016 and be precisely where they are now, except 4 years behind in their rebuilding.

RahenyFG

That's fu-kking priceless coming from a FG supporter. Have you been living in a cave for the last 2 years?
Call me up on the budgets fair enough but the rest stands firm. At least our Taoiseach hasn't gone on national radio hungover and possibly still drunk.

Spanner Island

I'm convinced if the Greens had pulled the plug on the poisonous eFFing traitors a lot earlier than they did that they'd have reaped electoral rewards...

But they didn't. Instead we had to endure their pathetic subservience and watch them cling on due to a combination of getting a few of their pet projects started and being afraid to be seen losing their bottle had they pulled the plug...

I guess the eFFing traitors knew exactly what they were doing when they told the Greens they were in the big league now and that they couldn't buckle at the first sign of trouble and all the rest of the horse sh!t they loved coming out with...

The Greens screwed themselves by not pulling the plug a lot earlier on the most despised government in the history of this state...

Chrisco

And then they would have lost all 12 seats in 2016 and be precisely where they are now, except 4 years behind in their rebuilding.
What makes you say that?

B

Boggle

Call me up on the budgets fair enough but the rest stands firm. At least our Taoiseach hasn't gone on national radio hungover and possibly still drunk.
In fairness, even Ff supporters were embarrassed by that pathetic incident.
However, there are question marks over whether some of your lads were drunk the other week for that bailout vote.

They certainly acted like they were and it is them that has brought all the renewed talk of disgraceful TD's back to the fore.

goosebump

You also put €20bn+ into the banking system, renewed the Bank Guarantee, completely failed in your efforts to have any debt written down, haven't done anything about unemployment and have a Health Minister in place who doesn't know his ars3 from his elbow. And that's only 2 years in.

And all you have to offer is that your Taoiseach hasn't appeared drunk on TV?

RahenyFG

In fairness, even Ff supporters were embarrassed by that pathetic incident.
However, there are question marks over whether some of your lads were drunk the other week for that bailout vote.
Probably very tired. Those bailout sessions in the Dáil went on till all hours and TDs and ministers, especially ministers, work long hours nearly every day.

Last edited:

goosebump

What makes you say that?
Because the current Government is very unpopular, and is only going to get more unpopular as time goes on.

Any Green Party that goes into Government any where is generally annihilated after one term. They don't manage expectations very well.

B

Boggle

Probably very tired. Those bailout sessions in the Dáil went on till all hours and TDs and ministers, especially ministers, work long hours nearly every day.
Same can be said of Cowen. At least he wasn't expected to vote on govt business that day, which makes it less serious (though no less embarrassing) than what the FG/Lab guys were at.

Whatever about before, FG can no longer slag off alcoholic TD's as they appear to have issues with a few of their own.

Chrisco

Because the current Government is very unpopular, and is only going to get more unpopular as time goes on.
History would seem to indicate that the reverse is the case.

True Republican

Hopefully not they need to stay at zero seats in the next general election.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies