Can We Compare ISIS Rule to The Medieval Crusaders, and The Inquisition or Reformation Excesses?

General Urko

It occurred to me recently that ISIS Tomfoolery in the areas under its control was probably uncomfortably close to what the inquisitors did to non believers and heretics back in the day.
Then I came across articles suggesting that Barack Obama had even compared their atrocities to The Medieval Crusaders in the Middle East.

People are freaking out after Obama compared ISIS to the Crusades - Business Insider

Obama compares Catholic Crusades to Islamic ISIS - Taylor Marshall

ISIS and the Politics of the Middle Ages

Obama was historically right about Christian ISIS comparison Jewish history proves it | Bonnie K. Goodman | The Blogs | The Times of Israel

Historian Tom Holland tackles ISIS and the Middle Ages | Daily Mail Online

This is not the Crusades: There's nothing medieval about ISIS (Opinion) - CNN

I suppose the key similarities were treatment of infidels, gay people, women and that essentially absolute power corrupts absolutely!
The key difference, well some of the lower level ISIS Bucks would at least strap themselves to bombs and detonate them, whereas as the other ladeens would never ever do anything so selfless!

silverharp

the crusades were defensive in nature, dont see any comparison really

darkhorse

IS are around today
Medieval Crusaders were around in medieval times
Work out the difference yourself

Congalltee

No, anachronistic comparisons are false.
Daesh has the same aim as Trump and bigots in Europe: divide people into two camps by eliminating the greyzone (ie “radicalising” those Muslims who are not Islamic enough/lowering civil rights the West).

Post-truth

You could if you mentioned the billions expended from the Gulf states and the gob************************e 'West' but you know you're particularly thick.

ainm_eile

It occurred to me recently that ISIS Tomfoolery in the areas under its control was probably uncomfortably close to what the inquisitors did to non believers and heretics back in the day.
Then I came across articles suggesting that Barack Obama had even compared their atrocities to The Medieval Crusaders in the Middle East.

People are freaking out after Obama compared ISIS to the Crusades - Business Insider

Obama compares Catholic Crusades to Islamic ISIS - Taylor Marshall

ISIS and the Politics of the Middle Ages

Obama was historically right about Christian ISIS comparison Jewish history proves it | Bonnie K. Goodman | The Blogs | The Times of Israel

Historian Tom Holland tackles ISIS and the Middle Ages | Daily Mail Online

This is not the Crusades: There's nothing medieval about ISIS (Opinion) - CNN

I suppose the key similarities were treatment of infidels, gay people, women and that essentially absolute power corrupts absolutely!
The key difference, well some of the lower level ISIS Bucks would at least strap themselves to bombs and detonate them, whereas as the other ladeens would never ever do anything so selfless!
It's the Kharijites you're thinking of.

To the extent that they're a natural response of a conservative society to "Anglo Colonial Imperialism", you could compare ISIS to the IRA in many ways, as controversial as it sounds.

stopdoingstuff

The Inquisition was almost entirely mythical.Sorry to be all factual and all.

[video=youtube;CY-pS6iLFuc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY-pS6iLFuc[/video]

General Urko

It's the Kharijites you're thinking of.

To the extent that they're a natural response of a conservative society to "Anglo Colonial Imperialism", you could compare ISIS to the IRA in many ways, as controversial as it sounds.
Again IRA Ladeens in their various guises were never into strapping themselves to their own bombs, whatever about murdering innocent folk and obvious sectarianism!

stopdoingstuff

The major Christian cities were Rome, Jerusalem, Antioch, Constantinople and Alexandria. After the rise of Islam, only one of them was Christian. I wonder how that happened? Maybe the Muslims let each city have a referendum.

silverharp

ISIS feel the same about their Jihad with the west - it doesn't make them right either.
islamic jihad has been going on since the Arabs broke into Africa and Europe in the 7th century. given the time it happened I dont equate the crusades to some nazi era.

stopdoingstuff

Thank God for the Pope and for Christianity and in particular thank God for Jan Sobieski at Vienna (much later) or else we would be backward goatfkrs like many in the middle east.

Post-truth

The Inquisition was almost entirely mythical.Sorry to be all factual and all.

[video=youtube;CY-pS6iLFuc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY-pS6iLFuc[/video]
Another myth carried over centuries, that the bould Western funded, trained and armed 'moderate rebels' accomplished in a few months should really in all fairness get those wasters fired posthumously.

wombat

Its interesting that a 21st century movement should be compared to events from hundreds of years ago. I think the comparisons are a stretch but to consider a modern organisation to be medieval says a lot about the ideology of that organisation

darkhorse

Its interesting that a 21st century movement should be compared to events from hundreds of years ago. I think the comparisons are a stretch but to consider a modern organisation to be medieval says a lot about the ideology of that organisation

Yes, its almost as stupid as comparing liberals of medieval times to liberals of today and then attempting to ridicule liberals of today because of liberal attitudes 500 years earlier.
But p.ie doors are open to all opinions however ridiculous ...

owedtojoy

So it is "defensive" to march a thousand miles into another country, capture cities and slaughter everyone in them? Then set up a kingdom on the backs of the conquered people?

The best comparison for the First Crusade is with a Mongol Invasion.

Someone is pig-ignorant of the factual history of the Crusades.

owedtojoy

My argument is that the ISIS Caliphate can be compared to the Confederacy, which was a White Supremacist state devoted to one idea, the oppression of a whole class or race of people.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/history/258591-confederacy-csa-isis-caliphate-white-supremacists.html

silverharp

So it is "defensive" to march a thousand miles into another country, capture cities and slaughter everyone in them? Then set up a kingdom on the backs of the conquered people?

The best comparison for the First Crusade is with a Mongol Invasion.

Someone is pig-ignorant of the factual history of the Crusades.
comparisons will fail but more like D Day surely

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies