Can we trust FF not to buy the next election

Disillusioned democrat

With the bailout, eh, sorry, loan, now almost a done deal, FF will have access to an overdraft of circa €80bn. It may be like giving a recovering alcoholic the keys to the drinks cabinet.

Will the loan have sufficient Ts&Cs and real governance to prevent FF buying the next election, just like they bought the last 3?

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
with what.. we havent a red ha'penny

Do you think the IMF/EU are going to give FF (or anyone else) money, and let them do what they want with it ?

That's not how it works baby... they give you the money, and TELL you what you are going to do with it.. why do you think FF are resisting them so much.. once they pay the piper.. they will most certainly be calling the tunes

Socratus O' Pericles

If they had all the riches of the world they could not win the next election -they're wiped.

flavirostris

No, Europe & the IMF are calling the shots now. They are going to be dictating budgetary policy. When you lose your economic independence, you lose the ability to buy votes.

typical

Sell the country and use the money to buy the election?

It's worked before....

talkies

Surely if we get a bailout.....sorry "cheap conditional loan" this government has to go....IMMEDIATELY!

Maximus Cynicus

Ah, come on now lads. Get real. Totally agree EU/IMF might TELL government where to spend funds, but not with WHOM.

Eh, IMF we need a few million to conduct an investigation into Bad Practices at Bank A
Sure, Brian, you wanna draw down 5 million for this purpose, and this purpose alone?
Yes, sir (and I'll give it to FF supporters in Solicitors office ABC and Accountancy firm XYZ. Hey, this baliout thing is great)
Might even reemlpoy some of the Galway tent lads as "consultants" to NAMA...........

redger

Surely if we get a bailout.....sorry "cheap conditional loan" this government has to go....IMMEDIATELY!
Ehm, by my reckoning, this government has had to "go immediately" for at least the last 12 months (remember the last budget - 'the worst is over' etc).
Guess what - they havent. A snake doesnt change its scales (thats more appropriate than the leopard analogy). Why would they agree to go now? Normal standards do not apply to them.

Disillusioned democrat

Now, that may seem completely logical to you and me, but FF will consider the negotiation of a loan as a huge victory and vindication of Cowen's bizzare behaviour over last week, and will percieve it as a mandate from the IMF to stick at it to see this loan spent wisely.

FF likely to spin that they now have an obligation to stay in government because ECB/IMF gave them the money and not the Opposition...wait and watch the media management over next few days - don't be surprised if we hear IMF requested Cowen personally to stay the course to see this through with captain Lenihan at his side.

Disillusioned democrat

Ah, come on now lads. Get real. Totally agree EU/IMF might TELL government where to spend funds, but not with WHOM.

Eh, IMF we need a few million to conduct an investigation into Bad Practices at Bank A
Sure, Brian, you wanna draw down 5 million for this purpose, and this purpose alone?
Yes, sir (and I'll give it to FF supporters in Solicitors office ABC and Accountancy firm XYZ. Hey, this baliout thing is great)
Might even reemlpoy some of the Galway tent lads as "consultants" to NAMA...........
Exactly....IMF couldn't begin to grasp how shameless and corrupt this government is. Throw in a few €bn for job creation in various high-risk constituencies, a few token jailings for less connected bankers and an artificial feeling that the worst is genuinely over created by a few well placed RTEFF documentaries about recovering business sentiment with a radiant Miriam O'Callaghan beaming at us telling us that green shoots are all around us, and you have 50% of the population on-board.

UnityNua

Website
www.unitynua.ie
The next election frightens me - I don't want the same old choices which have failed us for the past decade - and what will happen when the voters pile into the darkness of the polling booth:

Who will I vote for?
Rainbow coalition - Greatest national crisis in 80 years, they are very inexperienced and don't convince they will provide economic recovery.
FF & some other party - that has been a huge failure over the past decade.
Independent/fringe small party/radical new - are they going to save us from chaos, no they won't, they have been part of the problem already (PD, Greens, bought off independents).

So, the theory that no one will vote for FF & some other party may not turn out to be true, after the hail of insults and fear of an election campaign.

I believe we need a new choice, not more of the same. Give the people the right to vote in a national plebiscite (opinion vote, not legal referendum) to choose:

A Government of National Unity (the best of what we have) made up of the top four polling parties, a time table for political reform (not just a discuss in theory), and some way of dealing with budget cuts in a creative manner.

A group called Unity Nua are making such suggestions.

There are other groups who have talked about political consensus, including the Greens, but the big parties didn't like the idea. Now it is a necessity.

ocoonassa

what will happen when the voters pile into the darkness of the polling booth:
Egged on by the media they'll elect crooked gombeens who despise them to sell them further down the river, same as last time really.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies