• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Can you get a decent job from a night course diploma/certificate?

RahenyFG

I'm considering doing a night course in the new year. I'm going to combine it with my full time day job. Looking to do a computer or IT job as I wouldn't mind a nice office job. Would employers rate night course diplomas/certs for jobs? It's already tough for those with degrees to get jobs.

S

Science Ninja

I'm considering doing a night course in the new year. I'm going to combine it with my full time day job. Looking to do a computer or IT job as I wouldn't mind a nice office job. Would employers rate night course diplomas/certs for jobs? It's already tough for those with degrees to get jobs.
It would probably help if you clarified what you mean by an IT job. It's a broad field.

RahenyFG

It would probably help if you clarified what you mean by an IT job. It's a broad field.
Clerical office staff. Even web page building. I did it in a course and I was alright at it.

Northtipp

Yes

Jack White

Is it not really about the accreditation of the course, rather than the mode of delivery ?

Am thinking about doing the same thing myself, in a different area. To do it part-time nights is two and a half grand. To do it by distance learning is a grand cheaper.

Now, if I were an employer, and all other things being equal, would I be more impressed with the candidate who took the more self-reliant route ? Absolutely I would.

Is that a reasonable hypothesis, or are Irish employers more interested in the prestige of the institution ? I don't know.

Good luck with it, by the way.

cabledude

Of course. Just do a HETAC accredited course over a FETAC course and you'll be fine. A third level Degree is a third level degree. The fact that you did it part time/online as opposed to full time matters not. In fact I suspect most employers will respect you for doing a part time course along with family and work commitments. The second in command and fourth in command in my place of work did part time courses.

Peppermint

You can get a job in IT, with the right qualification, but it really depends on you. Having ticked all the necessary boxes does not make you qualified!
As others have mentioned IT is a very broad term, so what area of IT are you aiming at?
Do you want to repair PCs?
Or be proficient in Microsoft stuff?
Or just be be able to use a pc well?
etc, etc.....

Dan_Murphy

Some advice I was given by another poster on this site about qualifications, I really valued it.

You don't need any. Pick a problem to solve, buy a book and jump in. I dropped out of Uni and ended up writing software for the biggest software company on the planet. I'm self taught. All the best devs are. Then I left and started my own company which I've been running for the past 8 years.

But don't try programming unless you love it. Only by loving it can you hope to stay enough on top to stay at the job. If you find learning it a chore, I'd forget about it.
My Advice : do the certs if you are interested in doing them, but don't rely on them alone. Most places worth working at will be looking at what you do outside of work and school. If you want to be a web developer, start making websites for fun, build a portfolio!

Udacity | Free Online Courses. Advance your College Education & Career

Do CS101 on this to get started, there are some interesting modules there. I don't think the certs they would give are worth much, but they will give you something to focus on.

Best of luck! :)

redsaint

This is Ireland.The first question (these pillars of irish society will ask you)are you quick and how much money do you expect. Now if the answer is, I am a flyer and I will work for nothing the job is your's.This is Ireland.

cobhguy

Theres no diference between full time and part time coursel i am doing my degree by night and have same assigments as fulltime course and will be sitting the same exam in the same room at same time as the full times. Its hard going while working a 50 hour week but hope i will pay off when i am finished.

RahenyFG

Good luck with it, by the way.
Thanks. Hopefully my manager will give me the go ahead to do it and not have my work hours clash. My work hours change every week.

RahenyFG

You can get a job in IT, with the right qualification, but it really depends on you. Having ticked all the necessary boxes does not make you qualified!
As others have mentioned IT is a very broad term, so what area of IT are you aiming at?
Do you want to repair PCs?
Or be proficient in Microsoft stuff?
Or just be be able to use a pc well?
etc, etc.....
Looking at clerical work first. Might look beyond that. Like being proficient in Microsoft stuff. A job in IT or computers is a neat number at the moment. Monday to Friday 9-5 and sitting down all day not on your feet all day like I am at the moment.

Mad as Fish

Looking at clerical work first. Might look beyond that. Like being proficient in Microsoft stuff. A job in IT or computers is a neat number at the moment. Monday to Friday 9-5 and sitting down all day not on your feet all day like I am at the moment.
Yeah plenty of jobs out there and only 430,000 looking for one.

regnal gib 1

It may give you an edge in an interview but pay wise it will be minimum wage. Unless you have a serious Degree one is now bound to a life of low wages, Minimum wage has now become maximum wage for must jobs.

Kevin Doyle

What college are you using and who is issuing the cert/diploma/degree. They are the exact same as their full time equivalents they just take longer.

Kevin Doyle

Plenty of jobs in the correct fields. Many of those unemployed just don't have the skill-set many of these employers are looking for.

And before anyone jumps down my throat i'm not implying people on the dole aren't qualified,prepared to work etc etc, they just aren't qualified in the fields currently in demand.

RahenyFG

What college are you using and who is issuing the cert/diploma/degree. They are the exact same as their full time equivalents they just take longer.
I haven't fully decided yet or even looked up courses but Independent College is one I may consider.

cabledude

Do you have anything constructive to contribute to the thread?????? We like that around here. Not so gone on the smart alec stuff.

Kevin Doyle

I haven't fully decided yet or even looked up courses but Independent College is one I may consider.
I'd recommend looking who the awarding body is, thats just to determine if its internationally recognised. Most are these days but it's no harm to check. The other issue is the college itself, employers sometimes weight a qualification by the college as well. Its not as bad as America were demand for Ivy league colleges are through the roof as many of the blue chip companies recruit directly from them, but theres n old school tie network alive and well in Ireland too.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies