Can you tell whether a human or a machine wrote these poems?

Polly Ticks

Mods, feel free to move.. mountains.

Human Or Machine: Can You Tell Who Wrote These Poems? : All Tech Considered : NPR

As AI gets better we're seeing more attempts at creativity by intelligent machines from AI generated music and visual art, to poetry.

So how good are these artificial artists?

As is often the case with AI, the q might be better rephrased as "How good are they to you?" I.E. How easy is it to trick you?

Case in point... the recent research (Robots can crack the Turing test just by staying quiet - ScienceAlert) which showed that Turing Test judges can --and have been-- tricked by machines that simply stayed silent during the test.

There's a quiz at the link... can you tell a contextless, heartless machine generated poem from a human-crafted cry from the soul (etc etc)?

D

Deleted member 45466

I got 4/6 correct (know feck all about poetry, except what was in Soundings).

Ellen Ripley

I got 3/6.

So much modern poetry is strings of gobbledygook and random unconnected imagery with no narrative that it's hard to tell.

ger12

Polly Ticks

I got 4/6 correct (know feck all about poetry, except what was in Soundings).
That's the most common score among people I sent it to.. (including folks that work in AI).

"I know feck all about poetry" .. see that's where I think the others fell down too.

You don't need to know anything about poetry.

I don't want to give the game away, but there are grammatical and usage clues in the computer-generated poem (or poems) that make it easy enough to distinguish. (I got 6 out of 6.)

I got 3/6.

So much modern poetry is strings of gobbledygook and random unconnected imagery with no narrative that it's hard to tell.
Maybe your preconceptions about poetry interfered with your ability to distinguish machine generated from human written poems?

gleeful

I got 5/6. I didn't even read them - just looked at the rhyming. The Machine poems were too perfectly rhymed.

The real difference here is that no machine would be programmed by a poet - because poets don't code.

Polly Ticks

I got 5/6. I didn't even read them - just looked at the rhyming. The Machine poems were too perfectly rhymed.

The real difference here is that no machine would be programmed by a poet - because poets don't code.
Really? That's interesting.. and a good result. The clues I used centered around grammar and determining whether any unconventional usages actually added to the meaning and value of the poem or were simply AI-generated mistakes.

I've found that Poets will do anything to eat. :D

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/04/07/why-poets-are-flocking-to-silicon-valley/

The next hot job in Silicon Valley is for poets

D

Deleted member 45466

That's the most common score among people I sent it to.. (including folks that work in AI).

"I know feck all about poetry" .. see that's where I think the others fell down too.

You don't need to know anything about poetry.

I don't want to give the game away, but there are grammatical and usage clues in the computer-generated poems that make it easy enough to distinguish. (I got 6 out of 6.)

Maybe your preconceptions about poetry interfered with your ability to distinguish machine generated from human written poems?
You're probably right there Polly. I think Ripo has a good point though. I'd imagine modern poetry doesn't have the fluidity and rhythm contained in "classical" poetry (e.g. Keats's Ode To A Nightingale )?

A lot of modern "classical" music is very similar. Random, and artificial without any bravura and spontaneity. Some of the piano pieces sound like the stuff my very young nephew produces when he's bashing the keys on the piano at home.

Cellachán Chaisil

6/6. Just follow the train of thought. The machines lack it.

Lúidín

If a machine can write poetry, it can it can write posts on line on line.

D

Deleted member 45466

On the subject of poetry, anyone remember that one from school about the Dong with the luminous nose? That was a great poem. I really loved that one.

That other one about the lady imprisoned in the tower (Lady of Shalot?) was great too.

Civic_critic2

I thought if the following was by a machine they'd cracked it:

A green nub pushes up from moist, dark soil.
Three weeks without stirring, now without strife
From the unknown depths of a thumbpot life
In patient rhythm slides forth without turmoil,
A tiny green thing poking through its sheath.
Shall I see the world? Yes, it is bright.
Silent and slow it stretches for the light
And opens, uncurling, above and beneath.
The sun warms it and with a little time
Another slight leaf joins its neighbor,
They crown slowly and birth without labor
Feeding on the air’s breath like a rhyme.
How can we know with body and with brain,
The force that makes the earth suck up the rain.

It was by a human.

Polly Ticks

I thought if the following was by a machine they'd cracked it:

[/I]It was by a human.
You could have put a spoiler on that.. that poem seems to throw a lot of people. Line 6 is especially hokey... so hokey that people thought a human couldn't have written it (despite how good the rest of it is)!

I agree though.. if a machine could write a poem like that (minus line 6) they'd have cracked it.

Cellachán Chaisil

Yes. Definitely. There's a coherence lacking.

What do you make of the fact that there are good moments in the machine written poetry though?
They seem to emulate rather difficult phrasing well, or maybe they're just poor at phrasing :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies