• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Can young people really understand the old cold war/iron curtain?

General Urko

I was 21 when the wall fell, I was as interested in world politics then as I am now, I felt just before Stallinism collapsed in Eastern Europe that the cold war and the wall and the balance of terror would be a constant throughout my life, I was amazed and of course happy that this pure evil disintegrated!
But just as sure as I cannot experientialy relate to WW 2, can young people today fully comprehend such things as The Stasi, teachers as paid agents for the state, people being denied freedom of movement, incarceration in lunatic asylums for contrary political beliefs, a wall around a country, no access to basic goods, state sponsored drugs programmes for athletes, idolization of gobshyte leaders, religios beliefs stopping you from getting employment, the nuclear balance of terror, a capitalism system with only one big boss i.e. the ruling class and their lackies
Or American colonization of South and Central America and Soviet Imperialism in Eastern Europe?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
[video=youtube;n3_iLOp6IhM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3_iLOp6IhM[/video]

[video=youtube;zEaV8cGocQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEaV8cGocQ4[/video]

[video=youtube;iGfk_IU3Wlo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGfk_IU3Wlo[/video]

[video=youtube;4LDfx_bsVJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LDfx_bsVJU[/video]

[video=youtube;CNNMiSEZd9Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNNMiSEZd9Y[/video]

cyp

Mitsui2

I was 21 when the wall fell, I was as interested in world politics then as I am now, I felt just before Stallinism collapsed in Eastern Europe that the cold war and the wall and the balance of terror would be a constant throughout my life, I was amazed and of course happy that this pure evil disintegrated!
But just as sure as I cannot experientialy relate to WW 2, can young people today fully comprehend such things as The Stasi, teachers as paid agents for the state, people being denied freedom of movement, incarceration in lunatic asylums for contrary political beliefs, a wall around a country, no access to basic goods, state sponsored drugs programmes for athletes, idolization of gobshyte leaders, religios beliefs stopping you from getting employment, the nuclear balance of terror, a capitalism system with only one big boss i.e. the ruling class and their lackies
Or American colonization of South and Central America and Soviet Imperialism in Eastern Europe?
I've been thinking along similar lines lately and I've concluded they actually can't. Which is quite understandable, really.

But when I look back to things like a) growing up in the 60s and 70s with the atrocities of the Vietnam war and the worst of our own Troubles on the nightly news, b) the reality of the Berlin Wall and Iron Curtain like a slap in the face during my older years living on the continental mainland and visiting Germany, and c) thirty-odd years of constantly having, at the back of my mind, the fact that one single moment of idiocy on the part of the US or USSR might lead to a nuclear war that would more or less kill us all, and then look at the gabbling, goggle-eyed hysteria that you see on the current P.ie anti-Muslim threads, well...

I'm forced to conclude that even terror has been devalued in the modern media age.

SideysGhost

c) thirty-odd years of constantly having, at the back of my mind, the fact that one single moment of idiocy on the part of the US or USSR might lead to a nuclear war that would more or less kill us all, and then look at the gabbling, goggle-eyed hysteria that you see on the current P.ie anti-Muslim threads, well...

I'm forced to conclude that even terror has been devalued in the modern media age.
I suppose there's a point there. Remember the profound existential angst engendered by films like Threads? Those were times when it actually was plausible that one stupid mistake actually would lead to the extermination of most of the world and the actual total collapse of civilisation. And for those of us growing up in the North, daily shootings and bombings within a couple of miles of you (and often closer.....much closer) and daily harassment from the RUC/BA goons......p.ie's hysterics run around yelping from the safety of their mammy's basement about the utter terror they claim to be in of this nebulous "muslim" threat, in a world where their chance of ever actually meeting an actual muslim in the bogs of Offaly are pretty slim, and they are literally thousands of more times more likely to be struck by lightning than they ever are to get within 300 miles of an islamic terrorist attack.

Muppets.

GDPR

Ehmm, not much has actually changed in the sense that the USA and Russian Federation still possess nuclear weapons - and so does Pakistan and India, which wasnt true during the Cold War. We are actually in a much more dangerous situation now when it comes to a possible nuclear war. What has changed is no one talks about it or makes films about a nuclear war.

I look back on the Cold War as another long con, just like every other bit of political grifting in my life.

General Urko

Ehmm, not much has actually changed in the sense that the USA and Russian Federation still possess nuclear weapons - and so does Pakistan and India, which wasnt true during the Cold War. We are actually in a much more dangerous situation now when it comes to a possible nuclear war. What has changed is no one talks about it or makes films about a nuclear war.

I look back on the Cold War as another long con, just like every other bit of political grifting in my life.
And North Korea and The Zionist State and possibly South Korea! Thankfully, The Ukraine and South Africa have given them up!

Accidental sock

I have a twelve year old nephew who didn't even know David Hasslehoff was responsible for the collapse of the Berlin wall.

I don't know what they're teaching kids in school these days...

General Urko

How much of the cold war was a con job just to keep The Stallinist exploiting their own people and preserving their elite status and billionaire lifestyles in The USSR and to keep The Military Industrial complex going in the USA? Analogous in ways to the police needing criminals to justify their own existence and indeed criminality!:mad:

rainmaker

Administrator
I think we can all thank our lucky stars that trump was not president during something like the Cuban missile crisis...

General Urko

Hopefully, though I doubt it, with the change in Northern Ireland, it must be becoming harder and harder for young people there to relate to all that madness.

General Urko

I think we can all thank our lucky stars that trump was not president during something like the Cuban missile crisis...
But he loves The Ruskies! Barry Goldwater was the bullet all humanity missed!

rainmaker

Administrator
I have a twelve year old nephew who didn't even know David Hasslehoff was responsible for the collapse of the Berlin wall.

I don't know what they're teaching kids in school these days...
I'm Surprised that no ones considered sending Justin Bieber to mime a few tunes for ISIS...

General Urko

I'm Surprised that no ones considered sending Justin Bieber to mime a few tunes for ISIS...
I have suggested sending our very own Boner over to negotiate with them!petunia

jmcc

and they are literally thousands of more times more likely to be struck by lightning than they ever are to get within 300 miles of an islamic terrorist attack.
The distance from Dublin to London is 288 miles.

between the bridges

So on one hand we have the cold war etc and on the other going out on the lash looking for a shag...

General Urko

So on one hand we have the cold war etc and on the other going out on the lash looking for a shag...
In fairness in our wonderful theocratic state of the day, it was extremely difficult for a young lad to get a shag and in our wonderful as now Classist state of the day, it was also impossible for a young person, regardless of ability or qualifications to get a decent job without connections!

Trainwreck

Don't forget that right up to the collapse of the Wall, "young people" were invariably fans of the USSR and the Communist East.

The phrase "useful idiots" was coined in the USSR for those morons. The same disease of the young, that affected them, still rampages through society today.

between the bridges

In fairness in our wonderful theocratic state of the day, it was extremely difficult for a young lad to get a shag and in our wonderful as now Classist state of the day, it was also impossible for a young person, regardless of ability or qualifications to get a decent job without connections!
Meh, moi (and moi thought yer OP) was about the yooth of today, te jammy barstewarts...

parentheses

But who was the aggressor in the Cold War?

GDPR

Don't forget that right up to the collapse of the Wall, "young people" were invariably fans of the USSR and the Communist East.

The phrase "useful idiots" was coined in the USSR for those morons. The same disease of the young, that affected them, still rampages through society today.
Oh dear where to start? :)

It would be true to say that in the interwar period many young people were drawn to either the left or the right, because of the systemic collapse of global capitalism, but after WW2, the vast majority became good little consumers, just like their parents. The 1950s saw the invention of the teenager. Young people had work, money to spend and shops packed with goods to spent it on. They were for the most part very depoliticised.

This may change now the good times have ceased to roll.

"Useful idiots" is not a phrase which was applied to young people at any time but is thought to have been coined by Lenin to refer to people like yourself who blindly support an ideological position.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies