• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Canada prevents "al-Qaeda-inspired" train attack on Toronto rail network

blokesbloke

BBC News - Canada foils 'al-Qaeda inspired' terror attack on train

Seems to be just breaking. The alleged plotters are apparently not Canadian citizens.

Is there a reason Canada would be targeted by people allegedly "inspired" by al-Qaeda? I know Canadians often pride themselves on being more multi-cultural and less integrationist than the USA, and of course they also pride themselves on neutrality and peace-keeping.

Is there a reason Canada would be targeted?

ruserious

Canada was/is part of the war on terror.

Iphonista

"Is there a reason Canada would be targeted?"

Because it's full of non-believing infidels, I suppose.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com

Seems to be just breaking. The alleged plotters are apparently not Canadian citizens.

Is there a reason Canada would be targeted by people allegedly "inspired" by al-Qaeda? I know Canadians often pride themselves on being more multi-cultural and less integrationist than the USA, and of course they also pride themselves on neutrality and peace-keeping.

It's full of Canadians.

Analyzer

Full marks to the Canadian authorities for apprehending the nutters.

mothball

They had several thousand troops in Afghanistan and still have around a thousand remaining, though their mission there ended in 2011. With PM Harper being a firm US foreign policy supporter, I imagine there are other reasons, but the role in Afghanistan would be at the top of the list.

stopdoingstuff

It's always moving when a person sees his work inspiring others. I am sure there are a few proud terrorists out there tonight, especially the trainers. That should be good for a few more virgins in the afterlife.

Ren84

They're a major contingent with Isaf in Afghanistan.

NYCKY

From what I recall, the Canadians sent troops to Afghanistan but not to Iraq, but I don't really think facts like that bother Al Qaeda.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
I see a bunch of others have already responded to that question, but yeah, Amrika infidel is best, but any infidel will do. I think though that your question highlights a problem in the west's interaction/response to Jihadi violence. That is that there is some rational grievance harboured by Jihadis that can be addressed by us. Some conversation that, were it to take place, all the Jihadis would hang up their AKs. There isn't.

Analyzer

It's always moving when a person sees his work inspiring others. I am sure there are a few proud terrorists out there tonight, especially the trainers. That should be good for a few more virgins in the afterlife.
Well, the part of the virgins might be more blatently absurd than the rest of it. It might have really been goats. It is all about which vowel was to be used in a certain sentence.

The Arabic script had a two century spell with no vowels included.

They are as likely to be rewarded with 80 goats.

More likely, with nothing at all. At the heart of this massive tragedy is a serious level of stupidity.

Ren84

I see a bunch of others have already responded to that question, but yeah, Amrika infidel is best, but any infidel will do. I think though that your question highlights a problem in the west's interaction/response to Jihadi violence. That is that there is some rational grievance harboured by Jihadis that can be addressed by us. Some conversation that, were it to take place, all the Jihadis would hang up their AKs. There isn't.
Hell Ireland could conceivably considered a legitimate target in their eyes, due to Shannon Airport being used as a transit point, both for US troops, and as a rendition stop for detainees.

Cellach

David Kilcullen would disagree with you. A small core of jihadis, the Takfiris are essentially irreconcilable. The rest wouldn't be bothered if their local issues were somehow satisfactorily resolved.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
David Kilcullen would disagree with you. A small core of jihadis, the Takfiris are essentially irreconcilable. The rest wouldn't be bothered if their local issues were somehow satisfactorily resolved.
I think he's talking more about the Talibs vs. AQ. The Talibs just want to be left to oppress their women and non-muslims in peace. AQ, and millions of their groupies want to see the entire planet subject to sharia.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies