Cancellation of penalty poimts notices

loner

GSOC has reported that one senior member of the Garda Siochana cancelled 744 penalty points notice in 17 counties--this is some record--should the Garda concerned be given the Scott medal.

Is he or she still a serving member--have they anything to say for themselves?

Dame_Enda

And I wouldnt be surprised if members of the Establishment got the lions share of the cancelled points, based on previous reports this included a major newspaper editor at the time and rugby players.

Pollys

Very clear message. If you're a senior Garda you can do what the hell you like and if there's a stink raised we'll just put it down to systems failure or the costs outweigh the benefit. Just waiting for a similar excuse for Templemore. Significant pushback from the establishment between this and the breath tests. Hopefully the lists of those who cancelled will be leaked. Absolute joke.

Betson

Hopefully the lists of those who cancelled will be leaked. Absolute joke.
It would be an interesting read alright , apart from the usual friends and family of Gardai i suspect you would see a lot of well known names as well.

It has been hinted by some journalists that there is a lot of their fellow journalistic colleagues on it and people form the legal and political professions figure highly as well on the list. I say we will be waiting a while for someone to publish that.

Of course there is also the possibility of the more sinister ones where members of the Gardai may take money for wiping points , we have all heard the stories about certain guards in your area or people who know guards that can disappear penalty pts if you give them a few quid.

Of course that is all they are stories and rumours and will remain so now that it has been decided they will be investigated no further.

Dame_Enda

The Garda Traffic Corp need to be broken away from AGS and turned into a separate traffic police. Ministerial control of AGS needs to be transferred to a NI style Policing Board.

loner

In the light of this report what can we say about Asst, Commissioners O Mahonys Report---is he still an Asst. Commissioner?

former wesleyan

GSOC has reported that one senior member of the Garda Siochana cancelled 744 penalty points notice in 17 counties--this is some record--should the Garda concerned be given the Scott medal.

Gets a call saying that so-and-so is a tout and do him/her a favour.

Betson

In the light of this report what can we say about Asst, Commissioners O Mahonys Report---is he still an Asst. Commissioner?
You would wonder about that report alright , can you be that incompetent or careless that you miss so much. And only for McCabe was able via politicians to get more evidence into the public domain that would have been the end of it and on foot of that report we would more that likely still have the same situation going on today.

Pollys

If you're a Garda and you see wrongdoing you know what you're supposed to do now......

Dame_Enda

We need to know whether there were orders from politicians to AGS to cancel the points. If so that could bring down the govt.

Disillusioned democrat

Statistically that means about 60 drivers who should be off the road are still driving.

It would be fascinating to see if any of these drivers have injured anyone AFTER the points were cancelled - a real case for a criminal or civil prosecution.

Given the significance of that the "financial" incentive to the guard is probably huge - I'm sure he/she didn't do it out of compassion and kindness...I'd say 744 points buys a lot of "favours".

Disillusioned democrat

If you're a Garda and you see wrongdoing you know what you're supposed to do now......
AGS not really fit for purpose.

Between the breath tests and the penalty points it's fair to say there's a big enough cohort of senior Gardai that are open for busness and are prepared to go to great lengths to make sure business stays good.

Mushroom

I don't want to second-guess the GSOC's research, but I suspect what they have actually found is that 744 cancelled penalty points notices were linked to one Garda's account. I wonder whether they can categorically state (or prove) that the said Garda had input all of the cancellations by him (or her) self. Especially given the claim that the login details of retired members of the force were often used.

Noble Guardian

Twitter
@NobleGuardianIE
I don't want to second-guess the GSOC's research, but I suspect what they have actually found is that 744 cancelled penalty points notices were linked to one Garda's account. I wonder whether they can categorically state (or prove) that the said Garda had input all of the cancellations by him (or her) self. Especially given the claim that the login details of retired members of the force were often used.
https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/news-room/archive/gsoc-investigation-fixed-charge-notice-cancellations-2009-2014/?download=file&file=2391

You don't have to. Read the actual report.

HereWeGoAgain

Old Mr Grouser

The Garda Traffic Corp need to be broken away from AGS and turned into a separate traffic police. Ministerial control of AGS needs to be transferred to a NI style Policing Board.
Yes. There certainly needs to be more than police force in the State. (Northern Ireland is part of the UK and so other UK police forces sometimes investigate and make arrests there.)

Old Mr Grouser

He was probably just a cat's paw; some old-timer who could be relied on to do as he was told,

It's highly unlikely that senior officers would ever have cancelled any tickets themselves.

JoanBRUTAL

You would wonder about that report alright , can you be that incompetent or careless that you miss so much. And only for McCabe was able via politicians to get more evidence into the public domain that would have been the end of it and on foot of that report we would more that likely still have the same situation going on today.
It was still going on after the investigation was started , we where told only 3 people could wipe them , that must have been Chico Harpo and Groucho

RasherHash

I wouldn't give a sh1t if I knew justice would be done and the culprits would all get their peno's anyway.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies