Cancer is a Man Made Disease

yellowfish

I seem to remember James Lovelock saying in his book "The Revenge of Gaia" that oxygen would get everybody in the end. That if nothing else killed you a cancer caused by oxygen would. He maintained that oxygen was the biggest cause of cancer. However I think he also said in that book that he would be quite happy for a years waste from the UK nuclear industry to be buried in his front garden seemingly the heat given off by it would be a handy heat source for his house.

By the way what is it ok to die from? At least everyday there will be some article on radio, on-line , in the print media about some deadly (insert threat here) threat to our continued health and well being. So at this stage what are the acceptable risks? What is it ok to die from? What is the point of this thread? The words could and may should be banned from use in any reportage of health threats.

I have often wandered the same thing, we occasional hear of more progress against some disease or another that 'claims' so many lives per year, but all those saved will have to die of something. perhaps we should have a list of preferred deaths that we would like left uncured.
Obviously i am not talking about diseases of the very young, we would like to save them. (though at what quality of life cost is a separate discussion) just those that keep space at the top. Personally slipping away at 3am in my dotage from a stopped ticker sounds nice, i would not want that cured only to go on and get alzheimer's.

slx

Early detection is key. If a cancer is found at an early stage there is a very good chance of having curative surgery without any need for chemo or radiotherapy.

In an ideal world, everyone would undergo blood tests, scopes, MRI or CT scanning every three years. It would saves the lives of thousands of people. If you have very good health insurance or if are lucky enough to be able to book yourself in and pay for these tests, then you really should.

Whatever the causes, the old rule of everything in moderation seems to be the best advice. Fats, alcohol and smoking are very damaging. Regular exercise, even just a 30 minute walk or a cycle every day and some hill walking at the weekend would make a big difference. Not only does it strengthen your defenses but it also helps to rid your body of toxins.

And avoid stress as much as you can. I firmly believe that stress is a factor.
MRI seems safe enough but regular CT scans without a good reason are not advisable. CT uses X-Rays and because it takes many, many images to build up a 3D picture, it delivers a very large dose of ionizing radiation.

Regular CT imaging could actually increase your risk of cancer quite significantly!

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
You are incorrect in claiming that nothing in the natural environment is carcinogenic, cook a steak, it is crawling with carcinogens - many foods are but especially meats (amines).
I think it's pretty well accepted that the vast majority of people ate a lot less meat pre-Industrial Revolution

myksav

A question on the average age of death. Do the averages used include the deaths of young children?
If yes, that would drop the average to a lower point as child fatalities were much higher in past centuries.

Garland Names the Skies

The thread title is ill-chosen. Cancer is obviously not a man made disease but a result of our genetic make up. The question is to what degree does either our personal behaviour or our civilisation impact on the environment antagonise the condition

Riadach

I think it's pretty well accepted that the vast majority of people ate a lot less meat pre-Industrial Revolution
And that cooking is hardly a natural process.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies