Capping top civil service pay.

Broke

There was a article in the Star newspaper today about capping top civil service pay at 140,000.They said there are about 11,000 earning over 100,000.If a cap was put on there pay it would save 440 million a year.If they had done this in the budget they could have cut less from the welfare budget.This would have been more fair on the people on walfare.The fat cats never face big cuts in this country thanks to the bastards in FF.

MPB

Pay peanuts and get monkeys.

Our problem is that, we are paying monkeys and getting peanuts.

Time to rid ourselves of the top levels of Governmental Depts and some Governmental Depts.

ellie08

Can we get them out asap. Please Greens pull out of govt. Enough is enough

Cato

Why would anyone need to be paid over €140,000 a year?

Catch22

There is hardly 500 Civil Servants on income over 100K. In fact the figure is probably a lot less. Most of the high earners are public servants/semi state/quango heads

commonman

There is hardly 500 Civil Servants on income over 100K. In fact the figure is probably a lot less. Most of the high earners are public servants/semi state/quango heads
i pay 35 euro in to a pension that will give me 19 euro a week at 65 i wont have the years only with the ps 5 years

Baron von Biffo

Not according to this :Ireland's 'morbidly obese cats' and runaway public sector pay | Business | guardian.co.uk. Again we rely on foreign journalists for proper analysis because Ireland has no press, just government press releases.
Anyway, Padraig MacManus of ESB gets 700K, the Coillte man gets 500k etc. How will they survive on only 250K:(
If you're relying on a sloppily researched article that gets basic arithmetic wrong you're in a bad way. They had to correct the numbers following ridicule from commentators.

Raketemensch

If we can have a cap in the Pub Sec, why not one in the Private Sector too?
Nice try to change the subject but you have to see the difference. If you make 1 million a year selling newspapers at the side of the road then the only way the govt. can take some of your pay is by taxing you like they tax everybody else too, they can't stop you selling over a certain number of newspapers, can they?

On the other hand, public sector workers don't actually generate their own cash so the government directly sets their wages. It's not better or worse, it's just the difference between market-based and planned sections of the economy.

Why is this hard to understand?

Raketemensch

If you're relying on a sloppily researched article that gets basic arithmetic wrong you're in a bad way. They had to correct the numbers following ridicule from commentators.
Please link to where I can verify these corrections you refer to, thanks.

Fides

Why would anyone need to be paid over €140,000 a year?
I suppose the answer is why not if you can get it. It pays for a bigger house, nicer car, more holidays etc.

Cato

I suppose the answer is why not if you can get it. It pays for a bigger house, nicer car, more holidays etc.
And what do any of those things really do for you? It would be pitiful if someone's happiness depended on such things (and so easy for them to lose their happiness).

anakin

I don't think there's any reason for anyone in the public service to be paid more than €100,000 in the current climate. If they think they're worth more they can quit and take their chances elsewhere.

Fides

And what do any of those things really do for you? It would be pitiful if someone's happiness depended on such things (and so easy for them to lose their happiness).
Agreed but a bit of extra comfort and lifestyle wouldn't be bad either. So if you're already pretty happy and someone wants to pay you eur140k for working I wouldn't say no.

New Threads

Most Replies