• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Car Tax: Extra 150m to be raised in massive overhaul. Some will pay more, some less

YesSireeeBob

Now families face €50 hike in car tax revamp - National News - Independent.ie

It seems there going to be going after the post 2008 cars.

The government had to leave it a while before they hit these motorists but it's now 4 years so I think the government will now hit them.

Some motorists with new / under 4 year cars are paying 160 or 225 a year.

Some of these cars have large engines (well large for Ireland) and if they were to be taxed under the old system they could be paying multiple times the amount they are now paying.

I wonder which cars will pay less - older cars or smaller engine cars or small engine post 2008 cars, perhaps.

And the Irish Independent has learned ministers have targeted motor tax to bring in an extra €150m in December's Budget -- meaning motorists face an average annual increase of 15pc across the board.

"It doesn't mean that everyone will end up paying 15pc more, some will pay more and some will pay less," a source said.
Present car rates

Analyzer

The Anglo Bondholders have managed to convert Baldy Noonan into some sort of enviromentalist.

Will they see him eating Feta cheese ?

Household_charged

It seems there ..........
It seems where?

Ireland's motorists are always seen as a cash cow and after the great FF F-up of 2008 some re-alignment will have to be done.

How a new €80,000 car can be liable for an annual ownership tax of €200 (ish) when a 120 year old 2 litre runabout is liable for €660 is beyond logic. The essence of any taxation system is fairness, in our Motoring taxes we have anything but.

We have close on 30 different rates for annual motor tax, a bureaucratize mess looking like it was designed to keep pen-pushers in jobs. Added to this the logic of having 29 different registration plates (and motor tax offices) seems like an overkill.

If low emissions is the aim, then the incentive should be on the purchase of the car. Any other taxes should be either flat (i.e. same charge for everyone, or via usage, i.e. on the fuel.

VRT is a rip-off, it's a tax on tax on tax.

It's punitive to have to try to run a car in Ireland but it seems it's not expensive enough for some people.

Skrynesaver

Motor taxation is ridiculous, an increase in fuel taxation would be fairer, though the obvious incentive for the diesel laundries of the border areas, and would remove the administrative redundancy.

daveL

Motor taxation is ridiculous, an increase in fuel taxation would be fairer, though the obvious incentive for the diesel laundries of the border areas, and would remove the administrative redundancy.
I presume you mean do away with motor tax and then increase fuel excise?

Household_charged

Revenue are introducing a new system of reporting by the fuel retailers of Ireland where they will have to report their daily sales of fuel. Revenue will then use this data to tally the similar data from the wholesalers to identify who is selling all the marked diesel.

There are enough civil servants in the country to be allocated to checking the sales of marked diesel to eradicate the scourge of washed diesel.

Household_charged

I presume you mean do away with motor tax and then increase fuel excise?
Annual Motor Tax is an ownership tax. Tax on fuel is directly related to the useage.

Annual Motor tax is supposed to fund Local Authorities but will now be supplemented by Household Charge/Property Tax.

I currently pay €480 + €660 + €358 = €1,498 , all for "services" I do not receive.

Trainwreck

I am sick and tired of these totalitarians trying to micro manage my life. Add it to the "fat tax"

EvotingMachine0197

I am sick and tired of these totalitarians trying to micro manage my life. Add it to the "fat tax"
Don't be so sensitive.

They are not trying to micro manage your life, they are trying to manage the State, which is what we elect and pay them to do.

Different problems require different solutions.

potholedogger

It seems where?

Ireland's motorists are always seen as a cash cow and after the great FF F-up of 2008 some re-alignment will have to be done.

How a new €80,000 car can be liable for an annual ownership tax of €200 (ish) when a 120 year old 2 litre runabout is liable for €660 is beyond logic. The essence of any taxation system is fairness, in our Motoring taxes we have anything but.

We have close on 30 different rates for annual motor tax, a bureaucratize mess looking like it was designed to keep pen-pushers in jobs. Added to this the logic of having 29 different registration plates (and motor tax offices) seems like an overkill.

If low emissions is the aim, then the incentive should be on the purchase of the car. Any other taxes should be either flat (i.e. same charge for everyone, or via usage, i.e. on the fuel.

VRT is a rip-off, it's a tax on tax on tax.

It's punitive to have to try to run a car in Ireland but it seems it's not expensive enough for some people.

Anyone who buys an €80,000 car has paid a huge amount of tax to the Exchequer first on earning the income and a second tax take on VRT plus VAT.

Fractional Reserve

Manage the state , most of the clowns in the Dail wouldn't last 9issing time in the real world .The new word that springs to mind
of what we have in Ireland and what sitting on their shiny leather seats in the Dail
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Don't be so sensitive.

They are not trying to micro manage your life, they are trying to manage the State, which is what we elect and pay them to do.

Last edited:

EvotingMachine0197

I have always felt that the changes to the road tax system in 2008 were a disgrace, for the following reasons.

It benefited the more wealthy who could go out and buy a new car and avail of the new (post 2008) low tax system.

It encouraged an upgrade of cars which only ever damages our balance of trade.

It lowered the overall tax take from road tax, effectively narrowing the overall tax base.

FakeViking

Anyone who buys an €80,000 car has paid a huge amount of tax to the Exchequer first on earning the income and a second tax take on VRT plus VAT.
But they elected to spend the 80k. They could have bought a perfectly comfortable car for (say) 20k. Why should they get virtually free road tax while others pay much, much more?

The Old Woman

Don't be so sensitive.

Trying to manage the State?

Thats the problem they have been trying for years and apologists keep permitting trying

My issue is we are paying for managing and getting trying with an excuse.

corporal punishment

should their €80,000 car have a radio?
Ha, you spotted that too.
Personally I think car tax should have two factors. the age/value of the car and the engine size. Similiar to the way VRT is calculated.
New car, big engine = Big tax. Old car, small engine = small tax. And in between, say something like a 1.8 with ten years under the belt should have 50% of the tax knocked off the same tax for a new 1.8 etc. Like I say, similiar to the VRT formula.

Trainwreck

Don't be so sensitive.

Nonsense.

This impending "overhaul" follows the "overhaul" that brought in the low rates for low emissions a few years ago. They got what they claimed they wanted - more people driving newer lower CO2 emitting vehicles.

Micro manipulation.

EvotingMachine0197

Nonsense.

This impending "overhaul" follows the "overhaul" that brought in the low rates for low emissions a few years ago. They got what they claimed they wanted - more people driving newer lower CO2 emitting vehicles.

Micro manipulation.
I agree that the new roadtax setup is total arse, for the reasons I posted above.

I just don't think it's personal micro management.

Victor Meldrew

Christ lads,

It's just back to the 80's with the "auld reliables" ....

I'd scrap this, and all tax hikes since 2008, replacing them with a " Bank Bailout FF tax" on income and to supplement VAT.

It should appear on the vat receipts and on your payslip....

lying eyes

Sher the 150 million will ensure our failed bankers and politicians pensions will be looked after. Now that is very important that we look after these wasters one and all. People , people when will we get off our arses and say NO MORE.