Cardinal Bernard Law

Cruimh

The death of Cardinal Bernard Law has been announced. Boston is still coming to terms with his 'reign':

Since the mid-1990s, more than 130 people have come forward with horrific childhood tales about how former priest John J. Geoghan allegedly fondled or raped them during a three-decade spree through a half-dozen Greater Boston parishes.

Almost always, his victims were grammar school boys. One was just 4 years old.

Then came last July’s disclosure that Cardinal Bernard F. Law knew about Geoghan’s problems in 1984, Law’s first year in Boston, yet approved his transfer to St. Julia’s parish in Weston. Wilson D. Rogers Jr., the cardinal’s attorney, defended the move last summer, saying the archdiocese had medical assurances that each Geoghan reassignment was “appropriate and safe.”

But one of Law’s bishops thought that the 1984 assignment of Geoghan to St. Julia’s was so risky, he wrote the cardinal a letter in protest. And for good reason, the Spotlight Team found: The archdiocese already had substantial evidence of Geoghan’s predatory sexual habits. That included his assertion in 1980 that his repeated abuse of seven boys in one extended family was not a “serious” problem, according to an archdiocesan record.
Church allowed abuse by priest for years

Cardinal Bernard Law, who left Boston in wake of clergy abuse scandal, dies at 86

It is interesting to see the response of his successor in Boston

Cardinal Law will be buried in Rome, according to a statement from his successor, Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley.

O’Malley wrote that Cardinal Law’s passing “brings forth a wide range of emotions on the part of many people.”
There is no doubt that Law did a lot of damage to the Church through his handling of the abuse issues that rocked the Church, both in Boston and around the World. And that there was bad feeling that he ended up being protected in the Vatican - but I cannot help feeling that he was made to be the whipping boy for a more systemic failure in the Church.

Though he never came across as genuinely contrite to the damage he did - an arrogant man seduced by the power and Prestige of his office?

Cardinal Law told Mary McAleese he was ‘sorry for Catholic Ireland to have you as President’

Catalpast

Look I'm not to try and defend how he handled cases of child abuse

- he failed and that's it

But they were human failings and not an intent to do evil

He also did good too

Cardinal Law supported lifting the embargo on Cuba and favored forgiving Third World debt obligations. He opposed the death penalty, advocated for public housing, and vigorously reached out to the growing Hispanic, Haitian, and Southeast Asian immigrant communities in the archdiocese. He urged defeat of a referendum to make English the official language of Lowell.
Cardinal Bernard Law, who left Boston in wake of clergy abuse scandal, dies at 86 - The Boston Globe

Bernard Francis Law was born on 4 November 1931, in Torreon, Mexico, the son of a US Army official and a musician.
He graduated from Harvard University and was ordained a priest in 1961.
His first assignment was in Mississippi, where he received death threats for championing civil rights.
As bishop of Springfield Cape Girardeau in Missouri, he opened a home for battered women and a centre to help Vietnamese boat people.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2017/1220/928641-bernard-law/

Fritzbox

I watched the movie 'Spotlight' a few weeks ago. Very impressive.

A Voice

The death of Cardinal Bernard Law has been announced. Boston is still coming to terms with his 'reign':

Church allowed abuse by priest for years

Cardinal Bernard Law, who left Boston in wake of clergy abuse scandal, dies at 86

It is interesting to see the response of his successor in Boston

There is no doubt that Law did a lot of damage to the Church through his handling of the abuse issues that rocked the Church, both in Boston and around the World. And that there was bad feeling that he ended up being protected in the Vatican - but I cannot help feeling that he was made to be the whipping boy for a more systemic failure in the Church.

Though he never came across as genuinely contrite to the damage he did - an arrogant man seduced by the power and Prestige of his office?

Cardinal Law told Mary McAleese he was ‘sorry for Catholic Ireland to have you as President’
Amazing how interested you are in this stuff, considering!

Hitchcock

Amazing how dis- interested you are in this stuff, considering!
Thought you'd be all over this spongebob....wrong religious person for you is it? :roll:

drjimryan2

an arrogant man indeed........

no amount of positives, be it a cardinal, a teacher, a td or whoever compensates for allowing/partaking/facilitating/turning a blind eye on child abuse.....

The Nal

Hes burning in the fiery pits of hell now.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Good riddance to the old coward. Hiding away in Rome to where he fled to avoid being prosecuted in the US.

Another elderly half-man gone.

A Voice

Thought you'd be all over this spongebob....wrong religious person for you is it? :roll:
When you say "all over" do you mean multiple posts? And on other RCC threads? And thread starting on the RCC?

Cos that's a No to all the above. Happy Christmas to you, though. Enjoy this season of peace.

Cruimh

Amazing how interested you are in this stuff, considering!
Think on this:

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

A Voice

Think on this:
No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
Very true, Cruimh. Only connect.

Just Jack

A good man.

RIP.

yosef shompeter

FWIW
For what it's worth, I spent a summer over in the Greater Boston Area... in the early seventies. One day in the rooming-house I was staying at there was all this cursing and arguing going on among the old Irish-americans. It seems some priest had been b&&ckering some poor young fellow and diocesan machinery, the police and the press had been mobilized to hush it all up. It's a bit far back now to remember the hushed conversation in detail but I can recall the questions going around as to was it the same priest who had b&*ckered the youngfellows of the last two cases or was it a different one.
Of course Cardinal Law was only made Cardinal some time in the 80's.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
This fellow Law was also feted on champagne at the Irish embassy to the vatican even after he became effectively a fugitive hiding behind a technicality.

It is unbelievable to think that this man was even on an invite list at the Irish embassy to the vatican given what was known about him.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies