Carlos Alberto RIP

statsman

Very sad to hear that the scorer of my favourite ever World Cup goal has passed away. He was 72 and died of a heart attack.

Carlos Alberto: Brazil legend dies aged 72 - BBC Sport

Who will ever forget this?

[video=youtube;Vh6b-Y_enJM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh6b-Y_enJM[/video]

Betson

Probably the most famous goal in world cup history.

On second thoughts the 'Hand of God' goal probably is now , but as a team goal they don't come much better than the above.

statsman

Probably the most famous goal in world cup history.

On second thoughts the 'Hand of God' goal probably is now , but as a team goal they don't come much better than the above.
I remember watching live on TV and thinking 'what's he doing?' when Pele hit that final pass.

Cruimh

Franzoni

When you look at what Brazil put up front (Hulk) and Italy (Balotelli) in recent years you can sympathize when the likes of Dunphy argue standards and skills are dropping and have fallen across the board when compared to players of this caliber who helped create and scored a goal like this....RIP...

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I've seen that goal so many times now and it still raises a thrill every time. The feinting in midfield past three Italians, the long pass down the sideline, brilliant trap, the Italians nervously fading back away from Pele because none of them wanted to be done and left on their arse and then the pass which I think bobbled up off a bump in the pitch and Alberto still just put it in the corner.

I can't think of many better team goals starting from the keeper rolling the ball out to a team-mate.

Think I'll watch it again. :)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Sorry, not from the keeper. I think in my head I had added that bit. Just about the only way to improve it as a team goal:)

The ball definitely kicks up off the pitch as it came to Alberto though. Still had it nailed... I was forgetting that that Brazilian team weren't all that bothered about including their 'keeper in things. Didn't have to really.

Jack O Neill

When you look at what Brazil put up front (Hulk) and Italy (Balotelli) in recent years you can sympathize when the likes of Dunphy argue standards and skills are dropping and have fallen across the board when compared to players of this caliber who helped create and scored a goal like this....RIP...
There is still great players in world football like Carlos Alberto , unfortunately we have a lot more players today who are a Dunphy standard .

danger here

D

Deleted member 45466

Sorry lads. Just going to indulge meself here with Wolstenholme's cracking commentary:

"Up comes Carlos Alberto on the right! And it's four! Oh that was sheer delightful football!"

[video=youtube;a4mhWyBb5Ow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4mhWyBb5Ow[/video]

gerhard dengler

Probably the best soccer team ever, 1970 Brazilian team.

I can just about recall the 1970 FIFA World Cup. England playing Brazil. I had a football annual and there was a great photo of Pele swapping jerseys with Bobby Moore.

West Germany beating England. Italy beating Germany (was that the game that beckenbauer played with his arm in a sling?).
And Brazil literally destroying Italy in the final.

Jerzinhio and Rivelhino, Tostao, Alberto and that great goalkeeper Felixpetunia

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'Tostão started the move five yards from the left of the Brazilian 18 yard box, then ran the length of the field to the Italian box without touching the ball again to tell Pelé to lay it off for Alberto.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_FIFA_World_Cup_Final

The wiki entry says Brazil won the '70 world cup with 19 goals from seven players, all seven of whom were involved in the Alberto goal.

D

Deleted member 45466

'Tostão started the move five yards from the left of the Brazilian 18 yard box, then ran the length of the field to the Italian box without touching the ball again to tell Pelé to lay it off for Alberto.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_FIFA_World_Cup_Final

The wiki entry says Brazil won the '70 world cup with 19 goals from seven players, all seven of whom were involved in the Alberto goal.
I think they set a couple of records in that game. Jairzinho's goal meant that he was the first player ever to score in every world cup game?

Pele's goal was Brazil's one hundreth in the WC?

Great team, but I recall Martin Peters saying they were as hard as nails, and could be dirty when they wanted to be.

Tostao was partially blind too wasn't he?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies