Carol Nolan quits Sinn Fein after she opposed party's policy on abortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maranatha

Carol Nolan quits Sinn Fein after she opposed party's policy on abortion

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/carol-nolan-quits-sinn-fein-after-she-opposed-partys-policy-on-abortion-37027339.html

She's quoted as saying "Every TD in Leinster House is directly responsible for the laws that they enact, if a TD votes for abortion they are responsible for all abortions that happen in this state".

"I do not want to have any hand, act or part in bringing about the end to the life of an unborn child, the most vulnerable in our society."

She's a hero in my book and also just secured her seat in Offaly/Laois too. It'll be interesting to see who SF will run for that seat. Will she join FF after the next election? Time for a shake-up in FF leadership to recruit Ms. Nolan and her likes to the FF fold. Or perhaps she should join Renua altogether and win them their first seat in Dail Eireann? John Leahy could make himself the sacrificial lamb.

She also added: "It is not for politicians or society in general to decide who lives or dies".

I will do whatever I can to help get Carol re-elected in the next General Election.

Last edited:

michael-mcivor

Her choice- the people have also made their own choice to let pregnant woman have their own choice- nobody else’s business-

GDPR

Well if she joined SF because her core issue was abortion, then she was in the wrong party.

Good to see she has realised this, and can move on.

MsDaisyC

I hear Renua are looking for members.

A "pro life" shinner... Hahahahaa:D:lol:

(I'll probably get kneecapped for that! :shock:)

GDPR

I hear Renua are looking for members.

A "pro life" shinner... Hahahahaa:D:lol:

(I'll probably get kneecapped for that! :shock:)
No you wont. As a SF voter myself (but only after the GFA), I never once thought the purpose of SF was to prevent legalising abortion.

I mean did this woman not listen to Martin McGuinness who said plainly that he personally disagreed with abortion but would never under any circumstances legislate his conscience and would be bound by the peoples will?

SF didnt get to where they are today by NOT listening to what the people wanted - including stop the bloody war.

PBP voter

Franzoni

Politicians work for us not the other way around....

We made a decision now they need to get on with it.......if they find they are unable they should follow Nolans example and stand down....

PBP voter

Well if she joined SF because her core issue was abortion, then she was in the wrong party.

Good to see she has realised this, and can move on.
Rubbish. You're trying to re-write history.

It was never a core principal of SF.

Even up to a few weeks back SFs position was restrictive. They saw what way public opinion was going along with FG and M. Martin.
The party is currently in favour of repeal and allowing for abortion in a specific set of circumstances. However, it is currently not in favour of allowing for abortion without restrictions during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy - which is the policy that will be put before the Dáil if the referendum passes.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sinn-féin-unlikely-to-change-position-on-abortion-before-referendum-1.3419544

runwiththewind

So she's giving two fingers to the electorate. Hope it's the end of her political career.

PBP voter

Wascurito

I think the site could do with moving away from mega threads on issues.

That or thread titles are adjusted as things happen.
Indeed. On the other hand, Maranatha's already epic persecution complex would go pyroclastic if this thread were merged into the main one.

SO EVERYONE. DON'T GO REPORTING THIS THREAD TO THE MODERATORS, OKAY? :lol:

robra

No you wont. As a SF voter myself (but only after the GFA), I never once thought the purpose of SF was to prevent legalising abortion.

I mean did this woman not listen to Martin McGuinness who said plainly that he personally disagreed with abortion but would never under any circumstances legislate his conscience and would be bound by the peoples will?

SF didnt get to where they are today by NOT listening to what the people wanted - including stop the bloody war.
No one is suggesting that you should not be bound by the peoples will. That is obviously not the issue. The issue has to do with tolerance and allowing a free vote on moral issues.
SF would not force a Muslim to vote against their religous beliefs, why do it to a Catholic? Tolerance works both ways remember.
Would you vote against abortion if the majority of your party voted for it? Or war? Seems reasonable to me that for exceptional/moral issues you would allow people a free vote.

automaticforthepeople

This happened yesterday and was discussed on the appropriate thread concerning internal discipline and bullying elsewhere on the site.

michael-mcivor

The war was stopped when the Tonne bombs went off in England and the Brits started to listen about a Peace-Process-( Sinn Fein got its seat at the talks and the rest is history)-

I think some seen the Abortion / Pro choice referendum as a war- if so people power over-came the anti-choice side as there white flag went up-

GDPR

No one is suggesting that you should not be bound by the peoples will. That is obviously not the issue. The issue has to do with tolerance and allowing a free vote on moral issues.
SF would not force a Muslim to vote against their religous beliefs, why do it to a Catholic? Tolerance works both ways remember.
Would you vote against abortion if the majority of your party voted for it? Or war? Seems reasonable to me that for exceptional/moral issues you would allow people a free vote.
What moral issues? SF is not a Catholic party, it is a Republican party.

She can join the SDLP if she identifies with Catholic morality.

Looks its simple. If you cant accept the party line, leave. She has done it, good on her. May her faith sustain her.

michael-mcivor

if a Muslim Sinn Fein TD was in the Dail then he or she would have to vote on what the Sinn Fein members at the Ard Fheis voted for or he or she would be suspended-

GDPR

The war was stopped when the Tonne bombs went off in England and the Brits started to listen about a Peace-Process-( Sinn Fein got its seat at the talks and the rest is history)-

I think some seen the Abortion / Pro choice referendum as a war- if so people power over-came the anti-choice side as there white flag went up-
Mike they got the votes of the NI nationalist middle classes after the GFA.

The middle class united will never be defeated.

michael-mcivor

Mike they got the votes of the NI nationalist middle classes after the GFA.

The middle class united will never be defeated.
Sinn Fein got MPs elected as the brit army was being smashed up the same as English city’s- 20 years into the peace-process more and more are respecting that past that makes for a bright future-

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies