• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Caroline Simons accuses John McGuirk of Defamation

johnfás

The knifes are out amongst (former?) members of the Libertas organisation as Dublin Candidate Caroline Simons accuses Libertas Communications man John McGuirk of defamation.

Libertas’s press office said it later issued another statement saying the earlier release attributed to Ms Simons had been issued in error and had not been approved. Ms Simons told The Irish Times that “a number” of press releases were issued in her name without her knowledge during the recent campaign.

She said she sent an e-mail to media outlets on June 3rd, signed by Mr Ganley and herself, saying: “A statement was released earlier today by a member of the Irish Libertas staff which contained untruths.” Ms Simons said she sent an e-mail to the RTÉ newsdesk on June 6th, saying: “The release made by a Libertas staff member was made without Ms Simons’ knowledge or authority and comments ascribed to her were never said and are untrue.”

Mr McGuirk said yesterday: “I’m very disappointed that a candidate who didn’t perform particularly well in the election would choose to embarrass herself like this.”

The subsequent letter from Ms Simons’s solicitor to Mr McGuirk said the original statement issued on her behalf was defamatory.

Ms Simons’s solicitor had instructed Mr McGuirk to issue a new statement to the media outlets that had received the original release, saying Ms Simons was “in fact an ardent supporter” of the Wiesenthal centre and its causes.
Libertas candidate claimed defamation - The Irish Times - Tue, Jun 16, 2009

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Are Libertas Imploding?" </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

setanta

Rats and sinking (sunk!) ship!

CHM

McGuirk is some tool. I've always wondered why Libertas paid him...

Ah Well

mccafferty cat

I never thought I'd say this, but I have sympathy for Caroline Simons. (But only a little bit).

Has there ever been anything which John McGuirk has been involved in that hasn't resulted in havoc, falling-outs, legal threats, and so forth? The man is some kind of attention-seeking sycophant. And why is it that the people who associate with them know this, but carry on regardless? (this website and its pathetic owner included)

The man is a proven serial liar, borderline derranged, and all-in-all a pretty darn sad individual.

marmurr1916

Die Revolution ist wie Saturn, sie frißt ihre eigenen Kinder...

kerrynorth

And why is it that the people who associate with them know this, but carry on regardless? (this website and its pathetic owner included)
It is certainly all falling apart at the seams for Libertas but even so do you not think your comments are more than a bit harsh? And if you are so disparaging of p.ie what are you doing posting here?

TheJudge

McGuirk and Simons...weak and weaker. Libertas as a political entity can be certified as a 'never was'.

oceanclub

Website
oceanclub.blogspot.com
Oh boy, this is great. I hope this story keeps going and going. Pass me some popcorn.

P.

west'sawake

I never thought I'd say this, but I have sympathy for Caroline Simons. (But only a little bit).

Has there ever been anything which John McGuirk hasn't been involved in that hasn't resulted in havoc, falling-outs, legal threats, and so forth? (this website and its pathetic owner included). And why is it that the people who associate with them know this, but carry on regardless?

The man is a proven serial liar, borderline derranged, and all-in-all a pretty darn sad individual.
1) Do you know him personally?

2) Have you ever met him?

3) How many conversations have you had with him?

4) Are you able to distinguish John McGurk the person from John McGurk a paid P.R. man for Libertas?

Personally I know the man, and while not very well, I think your comments are despicable and uncalled for. Indeed if McGurk had been put in charge of Ganley's campign for day one in the North West, I have no doubt Ganley would have performed better. I can only imagine McGurk was as frustrated as the rest of us with the main man running around Europe trying to do the impossible.

Leave him be, he is no more guilty of the things you accuse him of than any other spin doctors, major or minor.

So, so easy to kick a man when he's down. Your words are contemptible.

Have you ever taken a risk in your life?

CookieMonster

John's always good for a laugh so he is. And this certainly is a laugh! :D

kerrynorth

1) Do you know him personally?

2) Have you ever met him?

3) How many conversations have you had with him?

4) Are you able to distinguish John McGurk the person from John McGurk a paid P.R. man for Libertas?

Personally I know the man, and while not very well, I think your comments are despicable and uncalled for. Indeed if McGurk had been put in charge of Ganley's campign for day one in the North West, I have no doubt Ganley would have performed better. I can only imagine McGurk was as frustrated as the rest of us with the main man running around Europe trying to do the impossible.

Leave him be, he is no more guilty of the things you accuse him of than any other spin doctors, major or minor.

So, so easy to kick a man when he's down. Your words are contemptible.

Have you ever taken a risk in your life?
John McGuirk has a bit of 'previous' with FG prior to Libertas. Specifically in Dublin South East. That is why he gets up the nose of FG posters here so much.

Conor

Isn't John McGuirk a member here?
He was, backintheday. "Beneath contempt" was practically a Freedom Institute copyright (usually followed by "...and unworthy of a reply").

If ever you see a press release refer to the uncertain "moral compass" of an opponent, you'll know mcguirkj has found a new home.

CookieMonster

Has there ever been anything which John McGuirk has been involved in that hasn't resulted in havoc, falling-outs, legal threats, and so forth? The man is some kind of attention-seeking sycophant. And why is it that the people who associate with them know this, but carry on regardless? (this website and its pathetic owner included)

You're a fierce catty little weapon.

west'sawake

John McGuirk has a bit of 'previous' with FG prior to Libertas. Specifically in Dublin South East. That is why he gets up the nose of FG posters here so much.
Yeh, I know about that. And then rumour has it McDowell might come back! LOL.

west'sawake

Perhaps then you can enlighten us about the press release. Either Simons said the words "beneath contempt" and is now lying or McGuirk made them up. Which is it?

P.
I know nothing about it, only that people shouldn't take themselves too seriously, just let them sort it out, and stop losing the run of themselves. There is no campaign that doesn't make mistakes, be they winners of losers. In a few weeks this will all be forgotten.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies