Cartoonist Bill Leak dies aged 61

Black Swan

former wesleyan

Didn't mince his crayons that lad.

RasherHash

GDPR

LOL, this is hilarious - Pie posters discover the existence of someone they had never heard of before his death and then declare him to be a racist :)

Some of these posters would have been @je suis Charlie during the furore over the French cartoons of Muhammed.

I googled him and he seems to have been resolutely pro-free speech and anti-censorship.

Consistently so - not just on certain issues petunia

RasherHash

LOL, this is hilarious - Pie posters discover the existence of someone they had never heard of before his death and then declare him to be a racist :)

Some of these posters would have been @je suis Charlie during the furore over the French cartoons of Muhammed.

I googled him and he seems to have been resolutely pro-free speech and anti-censorship.

I've no problem with him being pro-free speech, I'm just being free speech back.

Black Swan

I'm all for uncensored free speech. It's how one chooses to exercise it that's important. Actions will have consequences.

razorblade

Never heard of him till today to be honest, but from the looks of it he certainly wasnt afraid to upset the pc brigade.

GDPR

I'm all for uncensored free speech. It's how one chooses to exercise it that's important. Actions will have consequences.
That's the point of free speech.

It doesn't absolve you from criticism for exercising it, but it means you cant be thrown in jail or murdered for saying/publishing something that riles some people up.

I thought the cartoons were tough and provocative, but I have seen equally hard-hitting stuff in Euro newspapers, like the one of the Crown Prince of Spain doing it doggy with his wife, the punch line being it was the only job he would ever have to do in his life: produce another heir petunia.

Black Swan

That's the point of free speech.

It doesn't absolve you from criticism for exercising it, but it means you cant be thrown in jail or murdered for saying/publishing something that riles some people up.

I thought the cartoons were tough and provocative, but I have seen equally hard-hitting stuff in Euro newspapers, like the one of the Crown Prince of Spain doing it doggy with his wife, the punch line being it was the only job he would ever have to do in his life: produce another heir petunia.
I'm always wary of potential bigots hiding behind 'free speech' as a rationale for making irrational assertions.

GDPR

I'm always wary of potential bigots hiding behind 'free speech' as a rationale for making irrational assertions.
That's exactly what they will do, but its down to the rest of us to call them on it. We cant be protected from "potential bigots."

I know too little about the man to come to any conclusions about his motivations. What do you think?

Socratus O' Pericles

So he isn't just a racist homophobe, he's incredibly unoriginal too.
My thoughts exactly as subtle as a flying mallet and as funny as a wet Tuesday, kind of guy righties love.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Free speech is free speech. May not agree with the mans sentiments rendered in images and ink, but important to see it expressed and open to criticism, or not, by the public.

Black Swan

That's exactly what they will do, but its down to the rest of us to call them on it. We cant be protected from "potential bigots."

I know too little about the man to come to any conclusions about his motivations. What do you think?
I think you're right and he did in fact get called on it, on the national stage. I haven't studied his work in enough detail to draw any conclusions regarding his motivations.

GDPR

I think you're right and he did in fact get called on it, on the national stage. I haven't studied his work in enough detail to draw any conclusions regarding his motivations.
I'm pretty sure he would have been so it all seems to be working quite well in Oz. Good on yeh. :)

Socratus O' Pericles

Free speech is free speech. May not agree with the mans sentiments rendered in images and ink, but important to see it expressed and open to criticism, or not, by the public.
Ah! yeah, he wasn't funny if the stuff posted and linked is to go by. Brutal and unfunny.

flavirostris

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies