Cashless welfare and drug testing australia

k974

Australia has brought in cashless welfare cards with restrictions on spending in off licenses pubs and bookies etc and drug testing for welfare recipients

Any chance we would ever be so lucky in Ireland to follow suit?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Australia has brought in cashless welfare cards with restrictions on spending in off licenses pubs and bookies etc and drug testing for welfare recipients

No. The overton window in Australian political discourse is much different. For one, they actually have a centre right and they do not feel inclined to be silent about obvious rorts like the abuse of the asylum system or entitlement culture.

A problem I can see with the policy you mention is that it will increase petty crime. However, the law can deal with that. Another problem Ireland has.

toughbutfair

I called for this many years ago. A budget neutral decision that children would be fed at school healthy meals at 8.30 , 12.30 and 3 could be offset by cuts in child allowance as food bills reduced. Could buy healthy food in bank for a better price. Well fed children concentrate better and have less behavioral problems.

toughbutfair

In fact , a scan of a card with your PPS number should be required for alcohol and gambling spending with the card being capped for people receiving the dole . I’d leave them smoke subject to a study on the economic pros and cons to the states finances.

Dame_Enda

I'm okay with the drug testing but otherwise not. Nothing wrong with having a flutter every now and then. The rightwing moralistic nanny state can be just as onerous as the leftwing PC nanny state.

toughbutfair

I'm okay with the drug testing but otherwise not. Nothing wrong with having a flutter every now and then. The rightwing moralistic nanny state can be just as onerous as the leftwing PC nanny state.
So why not cap “the flutter” e.g €10 p/w ?

middleground

The newspaper article below says that there was a small initial trial that is being expanded into a larger trial. Your OP says that the cashless welfare card has already been introduced. Can you clarify which is it?

Effectively unemployed person will be wearing a bright hat when they purchase anything, indicating that they are unemployed, Students next up then children's allowances, fuel payments, pensioners, and persons with a disability!

Is it possible to lodge the credit on the card into a bank account so as to be able to make online purchases?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/sep/08/tony-burke-denounces-coalition-move-to-roll-out-cashless-debit-cards-nationally

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/expanded-cashless-welfare-card-trial-set-to-pass-parliament-in-days-20190908-p52p5y.html

Politics matters

In fact , a scan of a card with your PPS number should be required for alcohol and gambling spending with the card being capped for people receiving the dole . I’d leave them smoke subject to a study on the economic pros and cons to the states finances.
Silly suggestion. So all people would have to have this card, regardless of whether they were in receipt of social welfare (presumably the public services card) if they wished to purchase alcohol?

Politics matters

To an extent, I agree with the OP, but it should only be applied to the long-term unemployed, perhaps people who have been on the dole for five years or more.

People on disability should be left alone, everybody, in my opinion, has a right to a drink.

Dame_Enda

This is essentially subjecting the unemployed to Direct Provision. Wonder how the opponents of D.P. for asylum seekers would feel about that.

It's also punishing the unemployed even in situations where it may be beyond their control for reasons including having to raise children in single parent households and not being able to afford a nanny. In that situation the mother/father faces a choice between working and leaving the child home alone, unless they have family or friends to act as cheap or free nannies.

Pabilito

I’ve an Australian relation deeply involved with the introduction of this project who on a recent visit regaled us endlessly with what he considered the merits of this system and his enthusiasm for making social welfare recipients feel small.. I’d prefer to share a can and chips with a homeless person under a bridge than listen to him again pontificating over dinner in an expensive restaurant.

toughbutfair

Silly suggestion. So all people would have to have this card, regardless of whether they were in receipt of social welfare (presumably the public services card) if they wished to purchase alcohol?
No, you earn your salary , I give you your dole money to provide for your family , not to be feckless.

toughbutfair

This is essentially subjecting the unemployed to Direct Provision. Wonder how the opponents of D.P. for asylum seekers would feel about that.

It's also punishing the unemployed even in situations where it may be beyond their control for reasons including having to raise children in single parent households and not being able to afford a nanny. In that situation the mother/father faces a choice between working and leaving the child home alone, unless they have family or friends to act as cheap or free nannies.
All the more reason to encourage the money to be spent wisely.

Dame_Enda

Its a totalitarian move. What is to stop the government down the road introducing compulsory cashless cards for workers wages too?

mr_anderson

Our current system is extremely broken.

It allows for cradle-to-grave handouts creating a monumental disincentive to work.

We need something drastic.

Dame_Enda

Our current system is extremely broken.

It allows for cradle-to-grave handouts creating a monumental disincentive to work.

We need something drastic.
We don't want a Poldark-type society where people are left to waste away to fatten the better off from having to pay taxes to the welfare state.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
We don't want a Poldark-type society where people are left to waste away to fatten the better off from having to pay taxes to the welfare state.
Nor should we promote intergenerational welfare dependency and reward fecklessness and idleness. As we do.

Dame_Enda

Nor should we promote intergenerational welfare dependency and reward fecklessness and idleness. As we do.
Well zero hours contracts are deterring people from coming off welfare because they could be dropped like a hat and have to go through a lengthy application and assessment process again.

New Threads

Most Replies