• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Castlerea no longer wants its prison to accommodate certain prisoners

mido

Public meeting in Castlerea tonight over plans to develop Harristown House as an open prison

Dermot Ahern T.D. officially opens the new 100 space accommodation block at Castlerea Prison | Fianna Fáil

Roscommon Herald — Public to air their views on prison plans - Roscommon Herald

Castlerea for many years campaigned to have a prison opened to benefit the locality-it got what it wanted. It now appears that the locals, and some councillorsand TD's , do not want certain prisoners to be held there. Do the good folk of port laoise or clondalkin have a veto on who may be held in their local facility. Will Ming, dinny naughton or pascal fitzmaurice be deciding in future who can or cannot stay in the state prison?

Last edited:

Sync

I want a hospital to open next to me so I can get employment but I don't want any sick people in my neighbourhood.

enuffisenuff

It looks to me like they want prisoners to actually be kept in within the walls of the prison.......not a lot to ask for is it....otherwise on the flip side why don't we also just locate hospital patients in some local rented house then so?

Hitch 22

I presume open prisons house prisoners who are approaching the end of their sentences and they prepare them for eventual release?
Was this not the case with nutjob and double murderer Malcolm McArthur who was allowed to go shopping and so on before he was finally let out?
Presumably these people are heavily monitored and continue to be so following release?
The law doesn't allow criminals including murderers to be kept inside indefinitely.
They serve their sentences and then they are released.

B

Boggle

I presume open prisons house prisoners who are approaching the end of their sentences and they prepare them for eventual release?
Was this not the case with nutjob and double murderer Malcolm McArthur who was allowed to go shopping and so on before he was finally let out?
Presumably these people are heavily monitored and continue to be so following release?
The law doesn't allow criminals including murderers to be kept inside indefinitely.
They serve their sentences and then they are released.
Have you watched that prison show on RTE on Mondays?
Didn't look o be the case... seemed great craic though! Bit like a govt butlins.

Radix

With the daily rising levels of crime being reported, we should be honest about this and forget about Harristown House in favour of Leinster House.

If Shatter wants an open prison, let it be built next door to his own house I say.

Hitch 22

Have you watched that prison show on RTE on Mondays?
Didn't look o be the case... seemed great craic though! Bit like a govt butlins.
If they take liberties aren't they booted back to a more secure lock up?

B

Boggle

If they take liberties aren't they booted back to a more secure lock up?
Indeed. If they are caught I suppose and it didn't look like anyone pays too much attention once they are inside after dark.
Put it this way, I wouldn't like to live next to it because I seriously doubt treating people like animals and allowing them to mix with more seasoned criminals is really going to rehabilitate anyone. If anything it'll just make them less likely to get caught.

'orebel

Public meeting in Castlerea tonight over plans to develop Harristown House as an open prison

Dermot Ahern T.D. officially opens the new 100 space accommodation block at Castlerea Prison | Fianna Fáil

Roscommon Herald — Public to air their views on prison plans - Roscommon Herald

Castlerea for many years campaigned to have a prison opened to benefit the locality-it got what it wanted. It now appears that the locals, and some councillorsand TD's , do not want certain prisoners to be held there. Do the good folk of port laoise or clondalkin have a veto on who may be held in their local facility. Will Ming be deciding in future who can or cannot stay in the state prison?
So you translate Ming 'raising the matter in the Dail this week as a topical issue and saying there was a need for information from the Minister for Justice' as Ming 'deciding in future who can or cannot stay in the state prison' whilst ignoring your own Dinny Naughtons query and the scaremongering of Paschal Fitzmaurice.

Agenda monkey.

mido

So you translate Ming 'raising the matter in the Dail this week as a topical issue and saying there was a need for information from the Minister for Justice' as Ming 'deciding in future who can or cannot stay in the state prison' whilst ignoring your own Dinny Naughtons query and the scaremongering of Paschal Fitzmaurice.

Agenda monkey.

My Dinny Naughton ? Where have I ever expressed support good bad or indifferent for said Mr Naughton, or his erstwhile colleagues in the blueshirt party for that matter. as for Ming, he is far too cute an operator not to say, I presume, when asked, did I not ask the minister when asked if he is in favour or not of the proposal- as for the FF councillor, why would I give them the credence of mentioning them

'orebel

My Dinny Naughton ? Where have I ever expressed support good bad or indifferent for said Mr Naughton, or his erstwhile colleagues in the blueshirt party for that matter. as for Ming, he is far too cute an operator not to say, I presume, when asked, did I not ask the minister when asked if he is in favour or not of the proposal- as for the FF councillor, why would I give them the credence of mentioning them
Before I respond, could I have that in english please? (Although I do applaud your mastery of McCreevy-speak)

B

Boggle

I don't know what you are saying about Ming here but the bit in the op about Ming was dumb and unnecessary.
Will Ming be deciding in future who can or cannot stay in the state prison?
Now, if you asked "would local TD's get an opinion on what type of prisoners would be allowed in the local open prisons" it would have made sense but you had to personalise it, didn't you?
It turned what could have been a good question into a dumb, pointless one.

mido

I don't know what you are saying about Ming here but the bit in the op about Ming was dumb and unnecessary.
Now, if you asked "would local TD's get an opinion on what type of prisoners would be allowed in the local open prisons" it would have made sense but you had to personalise it, didn't you?
It turned what could have been a good question into a dumb, pointless one.
included dinny naughton and ff councillor in op -does that make you happy?

mido

Before I respond, could I have that in english please? (Although I do applaud your mastery of McCreevy-speak)
included dinny naughton and ff councillor in op -does that make you happy? can include mccreevy if you wish? nunc vade diu ambulandum in brevi pier

Aristodemus

Those people should just be ignored. They are like the morons who move next to Croke Park then discover to their horror that there are matches held there.

'orebel

Away troll... shuuu...
Ah, my own personal stalker. I was starting to feel lonely there Tough Guy.

And quit it with the private messages will ya. My missus is beginning to get scared what with all your threats. Can you not understand - I'm not gay, but I'm sure there's somebody out there who'll find something attractive about you.

'orebel

included dinny naughton and ff councillor in op -does that make you happy? can include mccreevy if you wish? nunc vade diu ambulandum in brevi pier
Whoosh!

Tough Paddy

Ah, my own personal stalker. I was starting to feel lonely there Tough Guy.

And quit it with the private messages will ya. My missus is beginning to get scared what with all your threats. Can you not understand - I'm not gay, but I'm sure there's somebody out there who'll find something attractive about you.
:roll:

Now, away troll... shuuuu...