Casual racism, the unspoken Irish problem.

Toasty

So last night outside a Dublin pub which was overcrowded to begin with, they were letting many people in. My friends and I were standing outside and 2 guys who looked Indian approached to enter. They looked perfectly normal, sober and didn't look in any way like they were looking for trouble. The bouncer who I'm informed is also the owner refused them entry citing maximum capacity as the reason - "Sorry lads, we're full up". They accepted his answer and walked on. About 10 seconds later a group of white people arrived at the entrance, maybe 7 - 10 strong and were granted immediate entry. Now it's possible that in the murky world of city doormanship that these 2 gentlemen were the subject of previously gathered intelligence that indicated possible trouble ahead if he granted them entry - but I doubt it.

I've seen people get into Taxis and exit immediately when they realise the driver is Nigerian or wave them on after hailing them down for the same reason.

It goes on all the time, nothing new. Before anyone jumps on me, I know a doorman is perfectly entitled to refuse entry to anyone to a premises without having to give any reason but we all know what this is about.

I was going to challenge the guy as to why he didn't grant entry to the 2 Indian guys and then let in a bunch of white people who were clearly intoxicated and posed a higher risk of causing potential trouble than the others, but my friends talked me out of it.

There needs to be a serious conversation about this issue, enough of the shallow 10 minute pieces on RTE's flagship Twee vehicle "Nationwide" or bits in Northside News or City Gazette about how racial integration is going so well. That stuff is just icing on the cake. Scratch below the surface and there's a whole world of prejudice and unwarranted fear of outsiders, especially darker skinned ones.

ne0ica

Lets aim to make Ireland a more inclusive country by inviting Muslims to visit our pubs.

amsterdemmetje

Look at from another angle, i have two South Americans who work the door with me and if you want to hear what casual racism is you should hear the stuff that's thrown at them most Saturday nights from Irish People.

Catalpast

So last night outside a Dublin pub which was overcrowded to begin with, they were letting many people in. My friends and I were standing outside and 2 guys who looked Indian approached to enter. They looked perfectly normal, sober and didn't look in any way like they were looking for trouble. The bouncer who I'm informed is also the owner refused them entry citing maximum capacity as the reason - "Sorry lads, we're full up". They accepted his answer and walked on. About 10 seconds later a group of white people arrived at the entrance, maybe 7 - 10 strong and were granted immediate entry. Now it's possible that in the murky world of city doormanship that these 2 gentlemen were the subject of previously gathered intelligence that indicated possible trouble ahead if he granted them entry - but I doubt it.

I've seen people get into Taxis and exit immediately when they realise the driver is Nigerian or wave them on after hailing them down for the same reason.

It goes on all the time, nothing new. Before anyone jumps on me, I know a doorman is perfectly entitled to refuse entry to anyone to a premises without having to give any reason but we all know what this is about.

I was going to challenge the guy as to why he didn't grant entry to the 2 Indian guys and then let in a bunch of white people who were clearly intoxicated and posed a higher risk of causing potential trouble than the others, but my friends talked me out of it.

There needs to be a serious conversation about this issue, enough of the shallow 10 minute pieces on RTE's flagship Twee vehicle "Nationwide" or bits in Northside News or City Gazette about how racial integration is going so well. That stuff is just icing on the cake. Scratch below the surface and there's a whole world of prejudice and unwarranted fear of outsiders, especially darker skinned ones.
Maybe he was doing them a favour?

I don't know what clientele visit this pub

- but perhaps the owner was not prepared to take the risk of these lads getting roughed up or worse on his premises

- and he having to foot the bill .... :evil:

Dubstudent

Is there a country devoid of racism and unwarranted fear of outsiders?

razorblade

The issue is with muslims whos culture is incompatible with western culture.

amist4

These people are often quite good at spotting aggressive drunks and strongly opinionated loose canons.

Hans Von Horn

Lets aim to make Ireland a more inclusive country by inviting Muslims to visit our pubs.
Or to visit our eating places during daylight during Ramadan.

ne0ica

Look at from another angle, i have two South Americans who work the door with me and if you want to hear what casual racism is you should hear the stuff that's thrown at them most Saturday nights from Irish People.
So unfair. As if working with you was not a drag in itself.

amist4

Are you sure that's not a window you're working, with a cosy red light...

that'smadted

Do you know if they were turned away for any previous reasons? Also was it only white people in the pub/club that night?

Felixness

Ireland really doesn't have a racism problem so let's just knock that one on the head. Some people don't like to get in to a cab with a black driver and that's not because of skin colour, it's because some of them aren't who they claim to be, some are operating without a licence and some have a penchant for taking you the scenic route. The issue is cultural not race. Stop blaming the natives and take a look at the migrants.

former wesleyan

The saving of Ireland is that it's possible to move in circles that aren't racist.

razorblade

Mass immigration has been a huge problem in ireland and the western world, when people see the places that they grow up changing unregonisibly before their eyes their entitled to be concerned.

flavirostris

Don't we have enough anti racism quangoes leeching off the state already.. immigrant council, refugee council.

fat finger

The problem with Indians, and the publican will know this, is they are a bit too chatty and don't like beer very much, so they'll mostly buy a bottle or a half pint and nurse it for hours, and there's no profit in that, but the white gang, especially once they've had a few will horse into the beer quicker and quicker, from the profit viewpoint we're talking chalk and cheese here, so it's all about maximising your square feet, give me a bunch of Irish drinkers anytime, I always let them in cuz that's where the money is, not being racist against our own or anything but they don't mind their money like the Indians do, after a few pints they'll literally start throwing it away, there's nights after closing where I'm literally picking up tenners off the carpet, and some of my customers would not be well off, just careless after a few jars, but that's not my problem of course, the government should be doing more about it

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies