• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Catalog of cronyism for the next GE

Disillusioned democrat

One of the problems with democracy is how short peoples' memories are. To provide a useful aide memoir for the next general election, I'd like to start a thread that will catalogue this governments examples of cronyism during this government to help remind people what they'd be voting for if the vote for the government parties again.

To get started:

1 Reilly's primary care centres in his own constituency
2 Rabette's appointment of Labour members to quango boards
3 Fitzgeralds use of lottery funds in her own constituency
4 Howlin "finding" €12m to fund development of Wexford hospital via Reilly

That's probably the tip of the iceberg, but I'd like a thread to look back on in one or two years time when the election promise leaflets start rolling in.

the secretary

One of the problems with democracy is how short peoples' memories are. To provide a useful aide memoir for the next general election, I'd like to start a thread that will catalogue this governments examples of cronyism during this government to help remind people what they'd be voting for if the vote for the government parties again.

To get started:

That's probably the tip of the iceberg, but I'd like a thread to look back on in one or two years time when the election promise leaflets start rolling in.
Are we only allowed to list examples of cronyism or can we also include broken promises...?

tokkie

To get started:

You might change the wording to reflect the fact that all and any examples of cronyism, are personal interpretations and opinions.

Sister Mercedes

To get started:

Won't they just use this in their campaign for re-election?

ger12

turdsl

Certainly what is up on teletext now can only be described as textbook gombeenism and stroke politics;

The hospital in Wexford was not on the priority list with the HSE, Howlin who is the minister for money supplies it to Reilly who bumps it up the list, Winner all right,

Pure coincidence that Mr Howlin is the local TD as well.

Analyzer

Gimmemore deserves a position on the league of cronyism also. It would be a shame to forget his massive effort in the area.

Suttree

My understanding was it could only be considered cronyism if FF were involved?

hiding behind a poster

To get started:

Are you for real? The only people who ever go on about this stuff are those who are already voting for opposition parties. Meanwhile Howlin, for example, is going round Wexford this weekend with a smile that meets up round the back of his head. Not only did he get the hospital upgraded, but the Opposition and the media helped him publicise the fact to his constituents.

Because this is what people WANT. The 2011 exit poll showed virtually no change in the high percentage of voters who vote on the basis of someone being able to "get things done for the constituency".

Last edited:

hiding behind a poster

Certainly what is up on teletext now can only be described as textbook gombeenism and stroke politics;

The hospital in Wexford was not on the priority list with the HSE, Howlin who is the minister for money supplies it to Reilly who bumps it up the list, Winner all right,

Pure coincidence that Mr Howlin is the local TD as well.
You'd no problem with gombeenism when it related to your beloved Roscommon Hospital, though. How do you feel about the fact that its now busier than ever? We don't see you pointing that out much.

ruserious

Because this is what people WANT. The 2011 exit poll showed virtually no change in the high percentage of voters who vote on the basis of someone being able to "get things done for the constituency".
A politician's role is not to deliver what is wanted, but what is needed.
The national interest should always be number one priority.

wombat

, but I'd like a thread to look back on in one or two years time when the election promise leaflets start rolling in.
They will be the same as in every election - look what I have delivered to the people of my constituency:lol:

wombat

Getting elected is every politicians priority.

bonkers

Are you for real? The only people who ever go on about this stuff are those who are already voting for opposition parties. Meanwhile Howlin, for example, as going round Wexford this weekend with a smile that meets up round the back of his head. Not only did he get the hospital upgraded, but the Opposition and the media helped him publicise the fact to his constituents.

Good boy. You finally admit that your beloved party are as bad as FF. Well done, there's hope for you yet.

hiding behind a poster

Indeed, but its possible to do both. Howlin, to be fair, is also trying to serve the national interest by getting greater efficiencies out of any possible Croke Park II.

Analyzer

Good boy. You finally admit that your beloved party are as bad as FF. Well done, there's hope for you yet.
HBAP only sees wrong with political strokes when they are done by FF.

If they are done by FG, then they are necessary and justified.

Party before country.

Just wondering......but......where did we hear that before ?