Cath Cluain Tarbh/Battle of Clontarf 1014 AD

Riadach

Anything new?

Riadach said:
Anything new?
Only for me cause I didn't know the story.

ie It wasn't an Irish v The Vikings battle

It was an Irish & Vikings v Irish & Vikings battle.

Also didn't know that Boru was/is considered to be Ireland's greatest ever king.

Catalpa

Riadach said:
Anything new?
Not really but I'm glad it was pointed out by one contributor at least that the military and political significance of the battle was that it stopped in its tracks any Viking attempt to achieve the conquest of Ireland re what the Danes were up to in England in 1013 and after.

Morgan Llewellyn is certainly an entertaining character! :D

Catalpa

Riadach said:
Anything new?
Not really but I'm glad it was pointed out by one contributor at least that the military and political significance of the battle was that it stopped in its tracks any Viking attempt to achieve the conquest of Ireland re what the Danes were up to in England in 1013 and after.

Morgan Llewellyn is certainly an entertaining character! :D

The Collective.

Boru's side won right? But he died? Like Collins?

pocleary

Riadach said:
Anything new?
no,same score as last time,
though one imagines if the Irish had not destroyed the power of the Danes/Norse in 1014, the battles in 1066 for kingship of england may have been different, the Battle of Stanford Bridge I reckon would have gone to the Danes, and perhaps the Normans would have faired differently,

Catalpa

Its a real tragedy that Brian along with his eldest son died in the battle.

If he had lived his prestige would never have been higher and its possible that he might have achieved the one thing that was missing from the Irish Nation at that time - political unity.

Riadach

pocleary said:
Riadach said:
Anything new?
though one imagines if the Irish had not destroyed the power of the Danes/Norse in 1014, the battles in 1066 for kingship of england may have been different, the Battle of Stanford Bridge I reckon would have gone to the Danes, and perhaps the Normans would have faired differently,
In fairness, some have it that the Irish didn't win at all.

Catalpa

Riadach said:
pocleary said:
Riadach said:
Anything new?
Who said that? :shock:

Riadach

Catalpa said:
Riadach said:
pocleary said:
Riadach said:
Anything new?
I think it was an analysis based on Njall's Saga, not so much the Irish lost, but that it was a draw. It was certainly a pyrrhic victory.

Riadach

Jolly Red Giant said:
Riadach said:
The Irish couldn't lose - both sides were Irish and both were backed up by Vikings.
One side was dominated by Irish warriors, the other with Viking warriors.

Riadach

dsmythy said:
http://www.freedomwithintheheart.com/

Graphic novel turned into film anyone? I wonder how historically accurate this one might be.
As far as I know they all speak English, so not very :)

pocleary

Riadach said:
Catalpa said:
Riadach said:
pocleary said:
Riadach said:
Anything new?
I think it was an analysis based on Njall's Saga, not so much the Irish lost, but that it was a draw. It was certainly a pyrrhic victory.
i agree there, cept for the then rise of the O'Brians afterwards, and seeing as I'm mahon O'Brian to Mc Mahon on both sides of my grans , if it turned out differently i may not have existed lol

Riadach

pocleary said:
Riadach said:
Catalpa said:
Riadach said:
pocleary said:
[quote="Riadach":3b5jzpdi]Anything new?
i agree there, cept for the then rise of the O'Brians afterwards, and seeing as I'm mahon O'Brian to Mc Mahon on both sides of my grans , if it turned out differently i may not have existed lol[/quote:3b5jzpdi]

Well imagine how great a rise it would have been if Brian survived to cement his victory, and his son Murchadh after him. Donnchadh's paranoid reign put pay to that idea and lead to a greater king, Toirdhealbhach, having to struggle to achieve the kingship.

Catalpa

Riadach said:
Catalpa said:
Riadach said:
pocleary said:
Riadach said:
Anything new?
Yeah some draw - the Northmen were left floating in Dublin Bay face down. :cool:

Sure they fought well but but they picked a lousy position to fight the battle on - with their backs to the sea.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies